Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skinny newbie aiming to be just a newbie by next summer ;)

Hybrid View

skinny newbie aiming to be just a newbie by THIS summer ;)

Hi, I've been lifting on and off for about a year, trying to get bigger but I realized that I wasn't consistant enough. So... I'm going to pull up my socks and set a attainable goal by next summer. This is how I look now. I'm 21, and 5'11 143 lbs. Comments, critique, suggestions welcome! Should I try to bulk up to a certain weight and cut? or should I just continue lifting and eating :P I'd prefer to stay somewhat lean but just more muscular. I was thinking of hitting 160lbs by june 07. thanks!WBBsm.jpg
    Last edited by bear_rawr; 05-17-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Go Nets
    Quote Originally Posted by bear_rawr
    Hi, I've been lifting on and off for about a year, trying to get bigger but I realized that I wasn't consistant enough. So... I'm going to pull up my socks and set a attainable goal by next summer. This is how I look now. I'm 21, and 5'11 143 lbs. Comments, critique, suggestions welcome! Should I try to bulk up to a certain weight and cut? or should I just continue lifting and eating :P I'd prefer to stay somewhat lean but just more muscular. I was thinking of hitting 160lbs by june 07. thanks!WBBsm.jpg
    You are almost 6'0 tall. You can do MUCH better than 160 by next june. As thin as you are you will see a lot of early gains (the first ones will be very noticable on that frame) and you can handle some fat without showing it since you aren't so short.

If I were you, I'd be shooting to bulk over ~8 months to atleast 170. That's right about a pound a week of gain and then cut from there. Later on, once you have some mass, you can bulk slower to keep fat levels down.

I am 6'3" and 200lbs, and still built like a rail. The worst thing you can do (I've done it in the past too) is think that you have to keep a six pack because, as as skinny guy it's the only thing you have going for you. FAR too many thin guys fall into this trap. YOu won't just magically get fat overnight, but you can't stay super lean and gain at a maximum rate.

EAT (clearn). READ. LIFT. EAT

Good luck man
    Last edited by phatmonky; 09-23-2006 at 05:50 PM.

In order to have a "six-pack" you first need muscle. This is done by training your abs like every other muscle and eating healthy and building the muscle. Then you have to have a llow bodyfat percentage with a decent amount of muscle in your midsection.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Thanks phatmonkey and shark :] I like the sounds of 170 too From last week till now, I have only gained 0.5 pound, so I should probably be eating twice as much as I am now?!

I hit the gym twice a week. And I'm just starting to incorporate squats into my routine. I don't work my abs much at all. According to one of those digital bathroom scales (I don't know how accurate these are) my bf% is about 11% I never do sit-ups or crunches at the gym, I usually focus my time there using the equipment. I have a chin-up bar at home so once in a while if I'm bored I'll do some chin-ups and situps.

I've been working hard and eating since the time I made this post and as of last week I've gone from 143 to 150. I'm really happy with the progress, but I can't notice a difference yet with only 7 more lbs on me. Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with my routine for the past 2 weeks because of exams and I hurt my shoulder somehow last week. I tried going back to the gym yesterday but it still hasn't fully recovered. Will post some pictures when I get to 160.

PoutineEh
    wow. you need to eat a ton. you could mess up a bulk pretty bad by adding more fat than muscle and still look great since your so skinny now. what i am getting at is you are at a great starting point if you diet and train well, you could look amazing in a year.

PoutineEh
    kudos on the progress too. 7 lbs seems to be the perfect amount to gain from your last post, assuming its mostly muscle. make sure you are getting lotsa protein, ~150g a day.
    its hard to notice differences since you see yourself everyday. for people that dont see you often, they are the ones who will notice differences. my suggestion is to take a few front, back, and legs shots ~every 1.5 months. you'll be able to see the difference easier this way. you should really be able to see some changes from your original physique after about 4 months or so if your doing everything right.
    id like to see an update around mid january of your progress and then you can get peoples opinions to see if your doing everything right.
    good luck to you!

Thanks PoutineEh, Been busy at school lately so I haven't been active here, but I've been checking in and out. Still workin hard, but find it harder to eat enough, I always seem hungry. :@ I'm weighing in at 163 now. Only about 20lbs of gain over such a long period. And I don't seem to look much different, but I will get some new pictures up in the next few days. Thanks again ^_^

got bored, here it is

I am Very happy that my weight is up, but I don't see any wins here. Lost my abs and getting some fat around the gut. I'd like to get my chest a lot bigger.

please comment/critique on where to improve. Thanks!

Last edited by bear_rawr; 05-17-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm a complete newbie, so take with a grain of salt. I think you need to clean up the bulk, and work the chest.

thanks smooth23, can someone recommend a routine to improve my chest? I've been doing wbb1 from the begining, but for the past couple of months my progress has been very slow or non-existant. I was stuck at benching 125lbsx 6-8 reps depending.

Quote Originally Posted by bear_rawr View Post
    thanks smooth23, can someone recommend a routine to improve my chest? I've been doing wbb1 from the begining, but for the past couple of months my progress has been very slow or non-existant. I was stuck at benching 125lbsx 6-8 reps depending.

You are doing this? The dips and chins too?

Workout 1 :
    Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps (125lb)
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Workout 2 :
    Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Workout 3 :
    Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps
    Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Copy and add some numbers for a better picture.
    Include rest intervals and total time plus number of warmup sets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I think you need to double-double that up for awhile and drop the arm day.

Day 1 :
    Dips : 4 x 10-12 reps
    Flat Barbell Bench Press : 4 x 8-10 reps (125lb)
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 4 x 8-10 reps
    Chin ups : 5 sets to failure or pulldowns 5 x 8-10
    Barbell Rows : 4 x 6-8 reps

Day 2 :
    Squats : 8 x 10-12 reps
    Leg Curls : 4 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 2 x 20 reps
    Standing Lateral Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 3 : OFF

Day 4 :
    Dips : 4 x 10-12 reps
    Flat Barbell Bench Press : 4 x 8-10 reps (125lb)
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 4 x 8-10 reps
    Chin ups : 5 sets to failure or pulldowns 5 x 8-10
    Barbell Rows : 4 x 6-8 reps

Day 5 :
    Squats : 8 x 10-12 reps
    Leg Curls : 4 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 2 x 20 reps
    Standing Lateral Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF

These are one hour workouts. There is only time for one minute rest between sets and a few minutes till the next exercise. You must keep moving!

All lifts must be executed smoothly! Not swinging or bouncing!

You will also have to drop the weights used somewhat to be able to finish.
    This is not a problem, we are going for a huge pump and burn here - not max weights. This is a conditioning phase to increase muscle energy reserves (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy).

When you get done go eat! (or have your PWO)

After 2 weeks of this routine you will start to get less sore.

After 6-8 weeks of this routine you will start to get worn out. When that happens take a week off! Then you can move on to increasing your max weights.

Hey G O R T, I am pretty much doing what you wrote in the first routine.

one dash - is one minute rest, -- is 2min etc
    I don't really do warm up sets other than just get seated properly and just move it around a few times at a relatively light weight.

Workout 1 :
    Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps (125lb) [warmup 1x15 @65lbs]
    --
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps (40lbs) per side
    --
    Dips : 2 x 6 reps (Body Weight)
    --
    Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps (BW)
    --
    ***Deadlifts : I don't do these because I don't quite know how to execute it properly***

Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps (115lbs) done on a lever machine
    -
    Shrugs : 1 x 12 reps (55-60lbs)

total time: approx 1.5 hours depending on how busy the gym is

Workout 2 :
    Squats : 3 x 6-8 reps (120lbs on smith machine)
    --
    ***Hack Squats : not doing these***

Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps (120lbs)
    -
    ***Straight Legged Deadlifts : not doing***
    Hamstring curls: 2 x 8-10 reps (70lbs one leg at a time)
    --
    Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

I usually do some ab work in this day as well, total time: lil over an hour

Workout 3 :
    Military Press in SMITH : 2 x 6-8 reps (60lbs)
    --
    Seated Dumbbell Press [on machine] : 2 x 6-8 reps (60lbs)
    --
    Standing Lateral Raises [machine]: 2 x 10 reps (70-75lbs)
    --
    reverse pec dec: 3 x 8-10 reps (85lbs)
    -
    Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps (105lbs)
    --
    French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps (50lbs)
    --
    Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps (60lbs)
    --
    Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps (30lbs)

total time : approx 1hr.

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by G O R T View Post
    You are doing this? The dips and chins too?

These are one hour workouts. There is only time for one minute rest between sets and a few minutes till the next exercise. You must keep moving!

All lifts must be executed smoothly! Not swinging or bouncing!

You will also have to drop the weights used somewhat to be able to finish.
    This is not a problem, we are going for a huge pump and burn here - not max weights. This is a conditioning phase to increase muscle energy reserves (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy).

When you get done go eat! (or have your PWO)

After 2 weeks of this routine you will start to get less sore.

After 6-8 weeks of this routine you will start to get worn out. When that happens take a week off! Then you can move on to increasing your max weights.
    Last edited by bear_rawr; 05-19-2007 at 08:24 PM.

BGB is an excellent routine. I follow most of it, but add in different things from week to week to keep the body guessing.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

I would keep bulking until right before next summer. Look into full body workouts or maybe dc training. Center your workouts around the big 3 bench, squats and deads. Gort had some decent pointers. Good luck

The times do not add up - the first workout should only take 25 minutes.

Are you spending +5 minutes between lifts?

Two minutes rest between sets is typically used for moderate volume workouts. For volume training the rest should be a minute. For heavy lifting it should be at least 3 minutes.

Six total work sets for chest in a week is definately low volume. Most beginners respond best to increasing volume until they plateau. After that, periodization keeps gains coming. Periodization is switching back and forth between high volume at low weight and low volume at high weight.

I currently do chest on Monday and Thursday. Monday I do 5-6 sets of dips and then 6 sets of incline bench. Thursday I do 8 sets of flat bench followed by 3-4 sets of cable flys. This is around 24 sets/week on chest which is a good volume high point for me.

If you cannot easily increase volume on something like dips, you will have to grow your chest a bit so that you can. German volume training is a great shock to do that. This would involve doing just one exercise for the chest each week. That exercise is flat bench. 10 sets of 10 reps with exactly one minute rest between sets. Do not get up off the bench. Check a clock or your watch as soon as you rack the weight. Pick the weight back up 60 seconds later. Try using about 85 pounds. The first few sets will seem easy and usless, but that will change to agony as you keep going. When bodybuilders talk about pushing through the pain barrier, this is what it is all about.

This chest workout will only take 15 minutes out of you week. The first time you do it your chest will be sore for 5 days. But when you do it again it will be easier. If you can finish all of the sets, add 5 lb. Do 4-6 weeks of this and then see how many dips you can do, you will be suprised.
    47 / 6' / 212lbs

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

I currently do chest on Monday and Thursday. Monday I do 5-6 sets of dips and then 6 sets of incline bench. Thursday I do 8 sets of flat bench followed by 3-4 sets of cable flys. This is around 24 sets/week on chest which is a good volume high point for me.
    Why incline bench and flat bench? Simple variety or something else?
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-25-2007 at 06:00 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Still wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Monday's dips and incline bench hit the shoulders hard so I do Lateral raises for delts. Thursday is light on the shoulders so I do power cleans and overhead presses.
    Last edited by G O R T; 06-15-2007 at 08:03 PM.
    47 / 6' / 212lbs

update

Sup all, been working hard, and went up a little bit in weight. Sitting approx~ 170 lbs. Anyone care to guess my BF%? my bathroom scale says im 21.6% ??? I do have a gut, but 21.6%? plz comment/critique !

Gabrielle, I agree! I still want to gain mass, and I don't think I have enough to cut yet. I think I'll try to clean it up a bit because I'm starting to get some flab:@

GORT !!! It totally doesn't add up! Between sets, I usually just get up and walk to the water fountain and back, then continue to catch my breath for about a minute. I don't keep time, but I think I will start wearing a watch in the gym. Between exercises I usually take longer because I am waiting for the bench or machine to become unoccupied. TBH, I find that between SETS, after 1 minute I don't quite feel ready to do another set. I don't want to run out of steam halfway through a set. But I'll definately start timing my breaks now.

No wonder my bench/chest hasn't been progressing! I'm going to start doubling up this week.

8 sets of squats? are you serious?! : Obvisouly I'm going to have to drop the weight in order to complete all 8, but should I maintain the same weight throughout the entire exercise? (ie use a low weight from set1?) or drop the weight as I need to as I do each set.

For day2, could you explain to me what the standing lateral raise is?

thanks so much !

Inability to recover and fear of running out of steam are common roadblocks to the hardgainer. It is also hard for the new military recruit to fathom the volume and intensity of their coming training, but the human body has an amazing ability to adapt. In the modern world many forget this.

First, you cannot keep lifting near your max low volume weight for extended periods of time. Even if that max is not very high, it is stressfull to the central nervous system (CNS). This causes a fatigue that affects workout performance for up to a week.

Secondly, if you have no stamina you will find it very hard to progress at all.

By lowering the weight and increasing the volume of your workouts you will force your muscles to adapt to the new demand by improving blood flow, forming new mitochondria, and storing extra energy reserves. Yes, this will of course make them larger (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy).

When you go back to heavier workouts, your new stamina will allow you to to do more reps and sets with the heavier weights. This will cause you to become stronger until you plateau again (sarcomeric hypertrophy).

I recommend using the same weight (straight sets) for the time being. This will make keeping track of your progression easier. Eventually you will become bigger, stronger, and adept at reading your body's needs.

The lateral raise involves lifting dumbells straight out from your sides till they are 45 degrees above level. They need only be lowered till they are 45 degrees below level because the Deltoid muscles have a somewhat limiterd range of activity. This will look like flapping your wings holding dumbells. The movement should be done slowly (as usual) and with the palms facing the floor.
    47 / 6' / 212lbs

I did day1 and day2 for this week, rested yesterday and it's day4 for me now, gonna hit the gym in a few hours. My chest is still sore from day1, is it ok to work it out again with the same intensity? And the funny thing is, I did the 8 sets of squats, but my quads are hardly sore, just feel like a light stretching in the hams.

Quote Originally Posted by bear_rawr View Post
    I did day1 and day2 for this week, rested yesterday and it's day4 for me now, gonna hit the gym in a few hours. My chest is still sore from day1, is it ok to work it out again with the same intensity? And the funny thing is, I did the 8 sets of squats, but my quads are hardly sore, just feel like a light stretching in the hams.
    No, it is not alright to work it out if it's still sore from the past workout. Take the time off, or go very light, maybe 35-40% of regular exercise totals.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Thanks sharkall, I'll take it ez today.