The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

not working arms?

i havent been able to go lifting recently, either because my band was practicing more or i was sick, but im thinking i want to switch up my routine when i do start going regularly again

ive heard a lot about not working arms actually being good for them, that they grow better if you do heavy compound lifts? if i did more bench on bench day and deads on dead day and cut out barbell curls and skullcrushers completely (at least for a while), would my arms suffer for it?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nobody can answer this except you. Personally I think a little direct arm work never hurt anybody, and would probably benefit most people.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I believe in direct arm work, it's low on my priorities. I think that's the important thing, to know that direct arm work has its place and that it isn't as important as 80% of gym-goers think it is
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Occupational Hypnomania
    Unless your overworking your arms via heavy compound lifts Id say the above guys right, nothing bad can come of doing it. If your just looking to skip out then I think it would depend on your genetics whether your arms will grow with heavy compounds, or whether they require direct arm work as well, though usually it will grow without direct work I think, dunno some people require it some people dont.
    Last edited by Turnip; 09-25-2006 at 01:30 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    If you want bigger arms work them out. Unless you are that strapped for time those extra sets of direct arm work aren't going to hurt you.

Your arms will get bigger with the heavy compounds and no direct arm work. Your arms will get bigger faster with heavy compounds and a small amount of direct arm work.

If big arms are important to you throw in a few sets of arm isolation, but don't overdo it.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Banned
    If anything I think arms need more work than most body parts. Think about it. We use our arms all day long every day. I believe in shocking them by placing stringent demands on them. I train arms and legs harder than any other parts, due to this rationale.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Compound lifts, rows, chin ups...work arms very hard.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 09-25-2006 at 07:25 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by growthrep
    If anything I think arms need more work than most body parts. Think about it. We use our arms all day long every day. I believe in shocking them by placing stringent demands on them. I train arms and legs harder than any other parts, due to this rationale.
    You use your arms all day to lift pens, car keys, cups of coffee, sandwiches, etc. hardly anything heavy (depending on your occupation).

Besides your arms get worked alot with the compounds, so there is no need for many extra sets.

Banned
    I punish my arms and legs directly in the gym. Just my take.

Measure the circumfrence of your legs, then measure the cirumfrence of your arms.

Count the number of muscles in the legs, then count the number of muscles in the arms.

Then ask yourself if your arms really need as much work as your legs.

My advice would be to limit it (And I do) to probably a few sets for your biceps (I rarely do biceps actually) and a few sets for triceps.

I hate bicep work though. Always have. I usually skip it completely, and my arms are still pretty large. I forced myself to do them tonight, though.

Triceps, on the other hand, I enjoy working. It probably explains why I can do so many dips.

totally works! the whole time i have gotten serious about things, i have hardly been working my arms, and they are sizeable

Occupational Hypnomania
    I like skull crushers and stuff, generally pretty fun to do. And I almost got two 45s with it for 6, though Im sure its crap weight compared to most you people.

I'm really confused as to how doing compounds lifts is not working the arms.

Do squats not work the legs?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I'm really confused as to how doing compounds lifts is not working the arms.

Do squats not work the legs?

Dammit Mix, we already talked about this once. Isolation is the way to go, period!

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.