The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

writing weightlifting article for school paper-need suggestions

hello all, starting this week i will be writing a series of articles related to weightlifting for my universities newspaper, and im looking for suggestions on what to write about. my first article will mostly expel common myths of weightlifting, and will include:
    1. "toning" and what it really means
    2. inability for people to spot reduce fat
    3. more isnt always better-overtraining

however, i am drawing a blank as to what else i should write about. basically, my first article will be an introduction to future articles, and is setting the foundation for people to build on later. i figure starting the series off by saying what ISNT true, and then gradually going over what is correct and true over the next few articles, my column would go over well with people and keep people coming back to read it. so if anyone has any suggestions as to what else i could write about, it would be appreciated. thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    please keep in mind that the majority of the people reading this article are the "beach lifter" types, or people that dont know much about weightlifting at all. i really want these people to confront me and tell me im wrong .

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Fat doesnt make you fat

Banned
    - Why compounds are better than isolations
    - Girls won't turn into men by lifting weights
    - What creatin really is and what it really does
    - Why you must eat more to get bigger - this seems to escape a lot of people

I think you should aim for the gender-inclusive angle.

definatley about the toning myth. That is a must. Also like above poster said.
    eating more makes you bigger.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Banned
    heres what ive got so far, please give me as much constructive criticism as possible

Now that the school year is well underway, students young and old are hitting the gym for a multitude of reasons. But do the workouts these people do coincide with the goals in which they hope to achieve? In the majority of gym-goers cases, they do not. Several myths and rumors get passed around the gym, and today I am here to dispel them. Let’s begin, shall we?

Have you ever talked to someone who says they lift to get “toned”, or do you yourself lift for that reason? Well I have some news for you, you do not get “toned” simply by lifting weights! When most people say the word toned or toning, they are implying an increase in muscle definition and size with a decrease in the surrounding fat. However, achieving this goal takes more than just lifting. Weight lifting will increase the size of the muscle, however, to get that “toned” look, you must correct your diet in order to decrease the fat, you cannot burn the fat off of your abs by doing many crunches every day, or make your biceps more defined by doing curls four times a week. Don’t bother doing cardio several times a week for weight loss purposes either; you would achieve the same results by taking one less bite of your frosted brownie at dessert.

This leads me to my next point, spot-fat reduction. Many people believe they will get big visible abs by doing hundreds of crunches a week. This simply isn’t the case, and by doing so many crunches in one week you are not inducing hypertrophy, or the growing in size of a muscle. Instead, you are gaining muscle endurance. Think of Olympic marathon runners, ever notice how small they are, yet they can run for over 26 miles straight? The same concept applies. By doing hundreds of crunches in one week, you will not get bigger abs, nor will you make your abs visible! Work your abs like you would any other muscle.

And ladies, don’t think I forgot about you. One thing I have noticed in my time at the gym is that many girls are hesitant to lift heavy compound weights (squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc). Many girls do not lift this way as they do not want to get big or “bulky”. Well, I am here to tell you not to worry about that, as it simply is not in a female’s genetics to gain a lot of muscle. Testosterone, the hormone which produces muscle growth, is considerably lower in females than it is in males, therefore considerably more difficult for a female to gain significant muscle sizes. However, that does not mean you shouldn’t lift weights! Along with a proper diet, it is a great way for females to achieve that firm yet slender look they so strongly desire.

sounds good, but in that last paragraph I would mention that there is a reason that some women become so bulked; gear.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Banned
    good point. i think some of my paragraphs get off topic and lead away from the original topic, but i have to work on correcting it tomorrow. budweiser select is rocking my world tonight

Maybe post up some pix of very feminine looking figure competitors to prove your point.

And mention that not only do women need gear to get big and bulky, they also need to overeat. If you start lifting and gain weight doing it, you're taking in more calories.

How about pointing out that if you lift you won't become "ripped mass" in a week and that you need time and consistent training to build an above average physique.
    5'10 186 lbs 17 years of age

"Success is a journey, not a destination."

Banned
    Well written article. One thing: massive run on "Weight lifting will increase the size of the muscle, however, to get that “toned” look, you must correct your diet in order to decrease the fat, you cannot burn the fat off of your abs by doing many crunches every day, or make your biceps more defined by doing curls four times a week." Cut it into two sentences.

You could emphasize the health benefits of women lifting weights, such as decreased risk of osteperosis (sp?).

Banned
    i feel like my second paragraph has no direction, so im trying to rewrite it completely

Banned
    heres a rewritten version, its still a little cluttered, sooo

Now that the school year is well underway, students young and old are hitting the gym for a multitude of reasons. But do the workouts these people do coincide with the goals in which they hope to achieve? In the majority of gym-goers cases, they do not. Several myths and rumors get passed around the gym, and today I am here to dispel them. Let’s begin, shall we?

Let’s start off with a few basic weight lifting terms. Hypertrophy is a term commonly used in bodybuilding, meaning the growing of a muscle in size. Most people lift weights for hypertrophy purposes. A compound movement is an exercise which requires more then one muscle to complete the movement, such a bench press or dead lift. An isolation movement is one that attempts to isolate a specific muscle, such as calf raises or bicep curls. Powerlifting refers to a sport in which competitors attempt to lift the most amount of weight in three different lifts: bench press, squat, and dead lift. Bodybuilding is a sport where people lift for aesthetic purposes, and some even compete to see who has the biggest and most defined body. Strongman training is a less common form of training in which people compete at events that require entire body strength, such as carrying a several hundred pound stone for as far as you can.

Have you ever talked to someone who says they lift to get “toned”, or do you yourself lift for that reason? Well I have some news for you, you do not get “toned” simply by lifting weights! When most people say the word toned or toning, they are implying an increase in muscle definition and size with a decrease in the surrounding fat. However, achieving this goal takes more than just lifting. Weight lifting will increase the size of the muscle. However, to get that “toned” look, you must correct your diet in order to decrease the fat, you cannot burn the fat off of your abs by doing many crunches every day, or make your biceps more defined by doing curls four times a week. Don’t bother doing cardio several times a week for weight loss purposes either; you would achieve the same results by taking one less bite of your frosted brownie at dessert.

This leads me to my next point, spot-fat reduction. Many people believe they will get big visible abs by doing hundreds of crunches a week. This simply isn’t the case, as it will do nothing to stimulate muscle hypertrophy, the growing of a muscle in size, nor will it reduce the fat covering the abs, but it will make you really good at doing hundreds of crunches. The reduction of fat comes from eating fewer calories then you would normally consume on a daily basis, at which point your body needs to find another source for energy, which is the purpose of body fat. Unfortunately, we cannot pick where our body chooses to take this fat from, making spot-fat reduction impossible.

And ladies, don’t think I forgot about you. One thing I have noticed in my time at the gym is that many girls are hesitant to lift heavy compound weights (squats, dead lifts, bench press, etc). Many girls do not lift this way as they do not want to get big or “bulky”. Well, I am here to tell you not to worry about that, as it simply is not in a female’s genetics to gain a lot of muscle. Testosterone, the hormone which produces muscle growth, is considerably lower in females than it is in males, therefore considerably more difficult for a female to gain significant muscle sizes. However, that does not mean you shouldn’t lift weights! Along with a proper diet, it is a great way for females to achieve that firm yet slender look they so strongly desire.

In your second paragraph you talked about powerlifting, bodybuilding, and strongman but you left out olympic lifting, which involves clean and jerk and snatch. And maybe you could include a conclusion to your paper.
    Last edited by miken5254; 10-01-2006 at 05:53 PM.
    5'10 186 lbs 17 years of age

"Success is a journey, not a destination."

Banned
    i thought of that earlier, it slipped my mind when i was writing it, but that doesnt take much writing skill to add it in

as a whole, does my article read pretty cleanly? like do you have to stop and reread parts to understand, or does it get off topic at any part?

it is lacking a conclusion but im going to the newspaper place to have them help write that.