The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Learning as I progress

Trying to convinve teachers thier info is outdated.

Well lately in health class its been really annoying. Im hearin from my teachers about low fat diet, higher repetitions to get a lean look, heavy liftin to bulk. Nutrition seems like just an extra if you are really dedicated.

Now as ive been on this forum, I have learned such things to be incorrect, but never actually asked for proof. This is silly on my part for several reasons.
    1. I should always question something as being reliable or not.
    2. Reading studies that prove the theories to be correct would only benefit my knowledge and help me argue my beliefs.

After debating with my teacher I said if look for some studies that show:
    • Importance of fat in a persons diet
    • Higher reps do not increase fat oxidation
    • The optimal range for building muscles varies but can be generalized from 3-8
    • Most info from the RDA is outdated

If someone could provide links, that would be great, when I get some free time I will do some independent research but I thought it would be interesting to post this here.
    Complication breeds desperation.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Don't try to prove people who have their whole carrer based on lies, they won't believe you and you won't prove your point no matter what points you bring up.

I made the mistake of having a small argument like that with my boss. I got promoted, but he didn't believe me.
    5'6
    29.5 waist

Bench:240-250, somewhere in that area.
    Squat:315
    Deadlift:385-405

Goal: Lift more, Be Bigger and look Better.

most advice taught in classrooms or by personal trainers usually contains the same information. which isn't bad advice if you HAD to make one rule for everybodies health, and if everyone had the same goals.

low fat, high reps, yadda yadda sounds great if you just want to be an average healthy joe. obviously on a bodybuilding site like this that sounds stupid.
    Last edited by MrWebb78; 09-28-2006 at 11:26 AM.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

I'm sure Built can help you with this.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Con
    Well lately in health class its been really annoying. Im hearin from my teachers about low fat diet, higher repetitions to get a lean look, heavy liftin to bulk. Nutrition seems like just an extra if you are really dedicated.
    Yes, it's annoying as hell. <sigh>

Now as ive been on this forum, I have learned such things to be incorrect, but never actually asked for proof. This is silly on my part for several reasons.
    1. I should always question something as being reliable or not.
    2. Reading studies that prove the theories to be correct would only benefit my knowledge and help me argue my beliefs.

After debating with my teacher I said if look for some studies that show:
    • Importance of fat in a persons diet
    • Pubmed is a great place to look for this kind of thing. Also read Berardi.
    • Higher reps do not increase fat oxidation
    This one's true. The problem is that it basically becomes cardio, and the caloric deficit it creates isn't large. Furthermore, WEIGHT loss isn't the issue - FAT loss is what people really want. And to do this, you need to convince the body to risk manage the muscle it would rather toss in an effort to conserve energy. So you diet to reduce calories, then lift heavy to convince the body to hang onto the muscle.
    Without resistance training, the body gets no signal that it needs that pesky muscle to stick around.

Although you'll STILL see plenty of people in the biz advocating high reps for cutting because of the caloric expenditure.
  7. The optimal range for building muscles varies but can be generalized from 3-8
  8. Most info from the RDA is outdated

If someone could provide links, that would be great, when I get some free time I will do some independent research but I thought it would be interesting to post this here.
The RDA isn't an "optimal health" guideline - it's a "minimum nutrition" guideline. It will keep most Americans alive, but not optimally healthy. It's similar to the Canada Food Guide in that it's a constrained optimization between what people need to stay alive, and the cost of food. There are no considerations built into it for the additional oxidative strain on the body while dieting (caloric deficit puts a strain on the body) and or training.
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

I've learned that people who are un-educated or stuck in their ways about this lifestyle are better off ignored and not worth trying to convince.
    ~LV~

Publicly disagreeing with teachers (esp. if you seem to be correct by your peers) is rarely a good idea. Last thing you want to do is show up the person who can make that A become a B or a C become a D with a flick of the pen...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    I wouldnt try to argue with a health teacher. Most of them know what they are talking about. Plus it could mess up your grade. We are constantly finding out new things about our body that proves things are wrong and things right and then goes back and proves right things wrong and wrong things right.

My point is, that since we as a society have barely scratched the surface on stuff like this its best just to stick with things you know work (personally) things that are backed up by science and things that people have been doing for years. As long as the teacher isnt saying something outrageous you should leave it alone. The things they are taught will work for your average person. We as bodybuilders are granted a higher level of knowldge and our physiques show that.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    I wouldnt try to argue with a health teacher. Most of them know what they are talking about. Plus it could mess up your grade. We are constantly finding out new things about our body that proves things are wrong and things right and then goes back and proves right things wrong and wrong things right.

My point is, that since we as a society have barely scratched the surface on stuff like this its best just to stick with things you know work (personally) things that are backed up by science and things that people have been doing for years. As long as the teacher isnt saying something outrageous you should leave it alone. The things they are taught will work for your average person. We as bodybuilders are granted a higher level of knowldge and our physiques show that.
    I agree with you on not arguing with the teacher.

But I disagree with you on the stuff they suggest working for the average person. I'm pretty average, and that stuff did NOTHING for me. Worse than nothing - I got FAT eating a low-fat diet and jogging. Lots of people do. If I had enjoyed success using standard methodology, I wouldn't have landed on a mostly-male bodybuilding board in middle age.

Am I the only one who had the most out of shape health teachers in high school? I had this one guy who was the gym teacher and health teacher so he wore his gym clothes in the classroom. He would always wear these really short tight shorts that usually gave the room a shot of his buldge. Very disturbing. Anyway, this was the last guy in the school that should have been teaching a health class. I bet he's died from a heart attack by now.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I had a phys-ed teacher used to drive behind us while we did our running.

And another one was QUITE plump.

Two CLEARLY had anorexia.

Not one of them was what I would even BEGIN to describe as a role model.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I had a phys-ed teacher used to drive behind us while we did our running.

And another one was QUITE plump.

Two CLEARLY had anorexia.

Not one of them was what I would even BEGIN to describe as a role model.

Only in America can a fat ass teach you how to lose weight... Only in america can the blind lead the blind... Ok, so maybe in Canada too

The best way to prove them wrong is to become ripped.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    I wouldnt try to argue with a health teacher. Most of them know what they are talking about.
    What? Usually it's one of the gym teachers whose turn it is to teach the class that quarter. My experience with gym teachers is that they were too dumb to get through the education curriculum and become real teachers.

(No offene to any "Phys Ed" teachers here. I know that some of them know what they are talking about. But too few to mention.)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eszekial
    The best way to prove them wrong is to become ripped.
    Exactly.

Pictures say a million words.
    ~LV~

Learning as I progress
    Well I appreciate all the replies. Before we were done talking we established that diet does play an important role, but she just wasny emphasizing it enough. Also this teacher doesnt control my grade, the other teacher does.

I will check out pubmed and see what I can find. Another thing I will take note of tho, is that my health teacher is geared toward teaching average people with more basic goals. I mentioned coming from a BBing aspect and she immediately jumped on that saying that their goals are quite different.

Anyway I gotta go to work, peace out guys.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Ask your teacher what she means by "their goals are quite different".

Most people wish to drop bodyfat and become leaner. Lifting weights with a caloric deficit is how you do this. It's the same for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Ask your teacher what she means by "their goals are quite different".

Most people wish to drop bodyfat and become leaner. Lifting weights with a caloric deficit is how you do this. It's the same for everybody.
    Built, please take no offense, but many women and average females don't want to have a bodyfat percentage as low as yours. They want a flat stomach, not visible abs. They want to be rail skinny, not a little muscular. I prefer the way you look over the ideal that society has set in stone.

Most guys don't want to be huge and ripped. They want to be the Abercrombie model homosexual that can't lift a pink dumbbell.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    Built, please take no offense, but many women and average females don't want to have a bodyfat percentage as low as yours. They want a flat stomach, not visible abs. They want to be rail skinny, not a little muscular. I prefer the way you look over the ideal that society has set in stone.

Most guys don't want to be huge and ripped. They want to be the Abercrombie model homosexual that can't lift a pink dumbbell.
    Offense not taken. I used to be a fat middle-aged woman who was trying to lean out through low-fat dieting and cardio.

Had that worked, I wouldn't have ended up here.

I appreciate the props - thank you. But I didn't set out to be a bodybuilder when I started - I just wanted to get the fat off my ass. This really WAS the only thing that ever worked.

I'm almost completely done with my nutrition minor. I've learned a lot but one thing I always remember is it's hard to argue with a RD. They have gone through a lot of school and know a lot.

Ask any RD about the best way to lose weight and they will tell you caloric deficit. We just want to keep our muscle (Built already said).

The best nutrition class I've had was sports nutrition. The teacher and I had many discussions over "BB" and on most points we agreed on. Except how much protein a strength athelete needs.

My advice, do your own research, and make your own conclusions. Thats the main reason for all the training ideas out there today.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Pick your battles. Arguing with teachers over something they don't care about in the first place is just going to screw you. If people really want to know things, let them come to you and ask.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I kind of disagree with most everyone on here. All through school I was taught to challenge my teachers. Prove them wrong at every opportunity because that's how you get the most out of your education.

I've had college professors say the same thing. So far they have successfully owned my ass at every opportunity.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 09-28-2006 at 04:02 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    I kind of disagree with most everyone on here. All through school I was taught to challenge my teachers. Prove them wrong at every opportunity because that's how you get the most out of your education.

I've had college professors say the same thing. So far they have successfully owned my ass at every opportunity.
    College professors are a little different. Most of the ones I had both times through college actually cared. Public high school teachers don't care, by and large. They go in, do their 8 hours, go home, collect a check. Same thing year after year. It might start out with good intentions, but most of them end up not giving a damn after a while.

If you present information contradicting what a college professor says, he is more likely to go look up information to counter what you've said. A high school teacher will just say "sit down and shut up".
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord
    College professors are a little different. Most of the ones I had both times through college actually cared. Public high school teachers don't care, by and large. They go in, do their 8 hours, go home, collect a check. Same thing year after year. It might start out with good intentions, but most of them end up not giving a damn after a while.

If you present information contradicting what a college professor says, he is more likely to go look up information to counter what you've said. A high school teacher will just say "sit down and shut up".
    Agreed. Many of my college professors are more than willing to go out of their way to help any of the students. In high school I would question a few and they wouldn't have an answer so they thought of something unintelligent to counter. In college, though, they have pride to keep. They want to know that they received their master, doctorate ect. for a reason. They know that they know the material and if you know something they don't they will learn more about it than you and put you in your place. I prefer a college atmosphere.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Heres the deal, I dont care how much you know or how wrong the teacher is... you are always wrong as a student. Their opinions on the subject (and I say opinions because most of the time they are clearly just that) matter more then any facts you can provide them and they will downplay it to no end.

Not all teachers are like this, but more often then not a teacher will not be corrected by the student.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast