The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Possibly Changing Careers - Advice Appreciated

Here's the scenario. I've been working in an office position for the last 3 years and really hate my job. I don't hate it because it's a 9-5 behind a desk thing, I just don't like the environment/company. It's pretty much a dead end position.

I recently had a very promising set of interviews with a big financial company for an entry level position and I'm quite optimistic about it. It would be office/customer service work and the environment is very appealing compared to my current job. The only negative is I would be taking a pay cut of about $5k a year. I make a modest salary as it is, so it would be an adjustment. My fiance just finished nursing school and will be working full-time so in the big picture, we can afford it.

Well here's the twist. Last night a friend of mine told me he's looking for about 5 guys in his department on a maintenance crew at a large factory. It's a secure position with the same hours (more flexibility), great benefits, and it would actually be an increase in salary from where I'm at now.

I used to work in positions that were hands on in the past and I did enjoy them. There's about a $600 a month difference between both opportunities and the maintenance position would offer overtime and a higher expectation for salary increases over the next 3 years. Basically it's good money.

My concern is this, it's a complete 180 degree turn in career paths. Should I end up not liking it after a few years, then I may have screwed myself as far as getting back into an office environment. I'm in HR right now and do a lot of hiring and know what that would look like to potential employers if I were to ever want to get back into the field. It would be a huge hurdle.

I feel like I have a very big decision to make and I wonder if anyone else here has made a decision to leave the corporate/office environment for something more hands on. Were you happy with the move, do you have regrets?

Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What do you know?

You hate your job now,
    The new job you may like.
    Has opportunkity to grow
    Pays you more today, when you are about to get married.

I say take the risk, ol' boy!
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

I say do it. If you can afford the pay hit but will like the new job (or at least not hate it as much as you do yours), I'd say it's a fair trade.

I'm in a similar situation. My job sucks, but unlike you, it is because I'm tired of the 9 hours behind a desk thing. Our workload has gone away, so they're telling everyone to take vacation, next step will be mandatory vacation, then they'll start firing people.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and know you're not alone.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    I've grown up doing manual labor for my father and I gotta tell ya, it's much more satisfying than office work any day. I'm a cubicle monkey like 90% of the other working stiffs out there and there are several times when I think that it would be better to have a manual labor job. If this job is paying you more and has better benefits, it may be the way to go. Just make sure it's going to be a fit with your family. If I remember correctly, you have a young kid, so keep that in mind as you make this decision.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

How is this pay cut going to affect future investments? Child's college funding? Savings account? Do you think you will still have enough time to spend with your child after working a labor-intensive job for hours a day? I'd suggest looking at the negative impacts this will have on your family and your family's future before considering the change.

I'm only asking because my mom went from a first shift job to a third shift and the transition has been terrible on relations in our house. No longer do we enjoy the family nights out and the conversations we would have with one another. No longer can our family eat dinner together ect. Looking from the perpective of a young adult I'd make sure that you will still be able to emotionally take care of your family before you worry about the financial responsibilities. Money won't buy happiness, but a tight, caring, and loving family will. Atleast that's what I was taught was important. Then again, I am a lot younger than you and I probably don't know anything about the "real" world.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 09-28-2006 at 01:10 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

I also want to get out of the office environment, and like VW, it's because I can't stand the 9-5 behind a desk.

But then when I think of the manual labour jobs I've had, I hated them too. What I really need is a job that allows me to move around, but is actually mentally stimulating. Or something with the freedom that will allow me to do what I want, when I want, while still offering a decent salary.

So basically, what I'm saying is I'm ****ed.

But seriously, I would do whatever is going to make you happy. 5k a year isn't really that much, especially since your finacé is going to add a second income.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

You have to also consider if it will be a big enough mental challenge for you. What kind of maintenence will you be doing? Just cleaning stuff up or doing minor repairs? If so, I can see that getting boring quickly.

And look long-term. The salary might be more than you are making now, but what about five or ten years from now? Which job would you rather have: one that pays $30k year 1, $35k year 2, $40k, $45k, $50k. Or $25k, $28k, $38k, $50k, $60k. Same money over 5 years, higher starting in first example, but higher ending in the second one.

Also, you did touch on something else: what if you did want to get back into white collar work? You're in HR. Would you hire someone who did office work for a few years and then did something completely unrelated for a few years and then tried to get back in the industry?

If you like finance, I'd go with that. Almost certainly a bigger upside financially down the road, too.

Also weigh in the potential for advancement within the organization or industry. Which do you see having better prospects for more challenge, responsibility, money?

Whichever job you take, will those job skills you honed be marketable should you leave (or get laid off)?
    Last edited by BG5150; 09-28-2006 at 01:29 PM.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

You know it's funny that I just spent 15 minutes writing up a bunch of information about both companies, and then erased it. Reason being, I just got off the phone with the financial company and they offered me the job...and at a higher salary than they originally quoted! That pretty much sealed the deal on my decision. I'm giving them my acceptance tomorrow and they're sending my offer letter in the mail.

You know I really think I would have taken it over the maintenance position even if they didn't offer a higher salary. I was on the phone talking with their HR person and I just had this great feeling about it even before we discussed the salary. I'm on cloud nine everyone. Thanks for everyone's input too. I know I haven't been around here much lately, but I knew I could count on you guys/girls for some good feedback. What a great birfday present!

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by -TIM-
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

You know it's funny that I just spent 15 minutes writing up a bunch of information about both companies, and then erased it. Reason being, I just got off the phone with the financial company and they offered me the job...and at a higher salary than they originally quoted! That pretty much sealed the deal on my decision. I'm giving them my acceptance tomorrow and they're sending my offer letter in the mail.

You know I really think I would have taken it over the maintenance position even if they didn't offer a higher salary. I was on the phone talking with their HR person and I just had this great feeling about it even before we discussed the salary. I'm on cloud nine everyone. Thanks for everyone's input too. I know I haven't been around here much lately, but I knew I could count on you guys/girls for some good feedback. What a great birfday present!
    Hey, congratulations! Every time I hear a story like this, it makes me think that my break is right around the corner.

If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Great job, man. Best of wishes to your future career and your family's future.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Good job.

way to go
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Thanks guys. I'm feeling good about this one. I can't wait to give my two weeks notice. :evillaugh

Im kind of stuck in a similar situation. I dont see a future with my current company, well I could I just know that I dont want to spend the next 30 years doing what I am doing now, I wont be happy. So I started looking this week, and have gotten a couple of offers but noithing solid as of yet. Hopefully something comes up soon. We shall see.

Best of luck to you.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Half your luck Tim! I'm in worse situation, I'm being told I'm going to be made redundant in a year and halfs time, but I'm required to stay on for that time. So while the job market is ripe right now I have to sit and wait, and it could turn sour for me in the next year. Or I could be far better off. Yikes.

Congrats man...

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    Half your luck Tim! I'm in worse situation, I'm being told I'm going to be made redundant in a year and halfs time, but I'm required to stay on for that time. So while the job market is ripe right now I have to sit and wait, and it could turn sour for me in the next year. Or I could be far better off. Yikes.
    Why do you have to stay on? I feel an uptick on the market so unless something big gets bombed again I think next year will be better than this one however, if I were told that I would be fired in a year I would start looking now for something great...plus knowing that I was being forced to stay on, despite all the professionalism in the world....all my motivation would be shot to hell and I would just coast. until I found something better then leave them, or threaten to leave them if they didnt up your pay for that last year. That would be payment for keeping your services. Always look for the BBD - bigger better deal.

Hey Tim, glad you went with the office job, the challenge and room to grow within it always a better idea than being a handyman/janitor. Or at least in terms of ambition and financial success it is.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Thanks again guys.

Risk - Why can't you start looking for a new job now and quit when you find one???

I'm glad you didn't take that factory job. Working in factories is really ****ty work. But anyway, congratulations!