The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Strike first, Strike hard!

How do I gain 21lbs in the shortest period possible?

Hi there. A little background first. I have being training in muay thai and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu for some years. I've started eating more and using weight training to increase my weight. I've being doing this for the past 8 weeks or so. I have made some progress, gainning about 10lbs. I am 5.9" and currentley weigh in at 175lbs, 13% bodyfat.

My question is this. How would one obtain a weight of 196lbs in the shortest time frame possible. I am refering to gainining fat and fluid as well as muscle weight.

My weight trainnig consists of a few compound movements going as heavy as I can for 6-8 reps with 3 sets.

I eat healthy proteins, carbs, fats and consume lots of water but also eat junk to try and boost calories.

Any suggestions would be greatfully acknowledged.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by All4one; 09-28-2006 at 06:41 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sit on your ass.

Eat lots of calories.

End.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Eat more.

Salt will also help you retain more water, but I would only resort to that if you are a few lbs shy come weigh in.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

figure it this way to gain with little fat it will take about 3 months or so...on avg 2 lbs a week is good. Now if you could care less about fat then move as little as you can and eat as much garbage as you can.

Wannabebig Member
    What are you needing to gain that weight for? What weight class are you trying for?

I guess my first suggestion would be try to enter a lower weight class. If you are heart set on the higher class, realize that this weight change will take time to cope and refamiliarize with.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You should just try focusing on your diet and training and not trying to gain as much weight as possible in the shortest period of time. Gaining REAL LBM is not an instant process. It takes time and hard work. What doesn't take hard work is becoming a bumbling nuclear blog of fatness. And you can achieve that by moving very little and eating a boatload of garbage.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Sit down, don't get up until you have consumed 73,500 cals .
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    Sit down, don't get up until you have consumed 73,500 cals .
    73500 over maintence.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal
    73500 over maintence.
    nice call
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I have being training in mauy thai and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu for some year
    You've been training in Muay Thai for years and you still don't know how to spell it?

Squats and milk.

Ah, sCaRz *Of*PaiN. I'll assume your childish remark was a joke? Thank you for pointing out the type error anyhow. I require the weight to enter the super heavyweight division and to look larger. Thank you to all who have given me constructive and logical advice. To the comedians...........please refrain.

I thought SHW was 200+.

Ah, sCaRz *Of*PaiN. I'll assume your childish remark was a joke?
    And what of all the other comments in this thread? Care to explain the singling out? No? Well then.

I require the weight to enter the super heavyweight division and to look larger. Thank you to all who have given me constructive and logical advice. To the comedians...........please refrain.
    I gave you advice, but apparently that's been negated since I made a sarcastic remark.

Anyway...I hope you achieve your goals. Do you want to be mostly muscle or do you not mind having some extra fat to reach your desired weight?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 09-28-2006 at 09:15 PM.

i reccomend hte 20 rep squat program for very intense gains in short periods of time, worked for as i put on 15 lbs in 1 - 1/2 months. bf went up no more then 1.5 %. eat like a horse, if you gotta cheat cheat, it wont hurt, drink close to 1 gallon of milk a day, if you want more info on the program ask, its pure brutality.
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    No offense man, but like Scars, I was a bit bothered by the incorrect spelling of Muay Thai AND Jui Jitsu.

A little bit suspect, I'll just leave it at that. I go to a class here and there and I know how it is spelled, just from seeing it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings
    No offense man, but like Scars, I was a bit bothered by the incorrect spelling of Muay Thai AND Jui Jitsu.

A little bit suspect, I'll just leave it at that. I go to a class here and there and I know how it is spelled, just from seeing it all the time.
    Really? Well, it should be spelled Juujutsu or Jujutsu (since we don't have the long vowel issue in English).
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Pft... You're ALL wrong about the spelling... It's Mwaiiiiii Thai and JusJus...
    (No offence to anyone, just playing!!!!)

Anyway, to the OP.. Simple answer -- EAT!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Occupational Hypnomania
    Jus Jus? howd you come up with that one.

He's lying. It's actually Jujubes ~>

Maybe I'm asking a dumb question, but OP, why would you *want* to fight at a higher class, assuming that you won't be able to put on a ton of muscle in the next few weeks and anything you do gain will be fat? It seems counterintuitive to me... you'll end up fighting stronger/bigger guys who most likely gained muscle to get themselves into that weight class rather than just chowing down in the last few days. Is there something I'm missing?

At any rate, it's an unfortunately simple and painful solution. Eat a ton over your maintenance - try adding olive oil/peanut butter to every meal and then the days before your weigh-in, have a ton of carbs so you'll retain more water.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Wannabebig Member
    i would also be interested to know what has prompted this desire to gain so much so quickly?
    are you in an open class of fighting weight and your fighting much bigger guys?

just asking as that happened to me but i certainly did not want to gain tonnes of fat i just went about slow bulking. you need to keep your speed, agility, endurance..

do what people on welfare do, eat a bunch of free food, after you bum a ride from someone and lay around the house all day
    240lbs 17%bf
    bench 120 dumbells(this biggest they have/time to open my own gym)
    military press 360lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Turnip
    Jus Jus? howd you come up with that one.
    Dunno actually.. I was tired and bored... Just being dumb
    Last edited by deeder; 09-29-2006 at 08:26 AM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings

Goodthings, no offence but I think you will find that Ju-Jitsu can be spelt both ways, and yes I misspelled Muay Thai, putting the a before u. I sometimes misspell words with a's and u's together or i's and e's.
    Because of this type error you say "A little bit suspect." This is to assume that because I spelt a martial art wrong, I in fact have never undertaken such an art.
    This is like saying that because your above quote has an 'and' spelt with capital letters "your English is a little suspect." The point is, it's petty. If I understand what the person is trying to communicate, then there is no need to turn this forum into an English class.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN, I didn't intentionally single you out. You made a valid point prior to the comment about spelling. I did mention the "comedians" in my reply, the ones who gave silly answers.

PLEASE NOTE I do not want any animosity here. I am just defending my point and just want everyone to respect each other and be cool. I am not a killjoy, and I do like to have a laugh. I just get a little annoyed sometimes when I think people are try to undermine me.
    Last edited by All4one; 09-29-2006 at 09:12 AM.