The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 100
  1. #1
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,669

    Is writing about pedophelia a crime?

    Consider this story:
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/09/27/D8KDF2H00.html

    The Federal government is prosecuting a woman for textual obscenity. She had stories posted on her website that described kidnapping, torture, sexual acts, and murder involving young children, I assume as fantasy fodder.

    My questions:

    Is this a crime?

    Who is the victim?

    Is this something we should be spending resources on?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    WBBs motivational Speaker Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Between a girls ties!
    Posts
    4,593
    No its fictional. Did she makes refrences to real life personalia? Did she target the story onto anyones name? No. Its fantasy, theres going to be jails full of educated white people if textual obscenity is going to be used as reason to prosecute.
    Last edited by Rock; 09-29-2006 at 07:55 AM.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Eszekial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,143
    Thought police?
    Eszekial's Journal
    Age:20
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

  5. #4
    Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Posts
    270
    The Federal government will probably lose the case based on the First Amendment. It's a little more than just the idea of free speech... even hate speech is protected if it does not incite a reasonable person to violence. If this writing doesn't incite a reasonable person to commit these acts, it is probably protected as free speech under the First Amendment. The writings may be disgusting and repulsive, but not criminal.

    Besides... :withstupi
    Last edited by Minotaur; 09-29-2006 at 08:15 AM.

  6. #5
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Luckily, we can just strip her of habeus corpus rights and imprison her without charge for the length of hostilities in the Global War on Pornography.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  7. #6
    back at it Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    0
    Although Karen Fletcher is a sick person, she certainly didn't break the law.

    D 435 / S 340 / B 305

    Journal

    "I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

    "OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

    "Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

  8. #7
    AM MMA Fighter crazedwombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    Posts
    2,576
    some say that thought is the same as action. I dont see it that way.I'm with the others on the taking away the first admendment.

    There's another way to look at things considering the subject matter as well as pulling in other subject matters such as rape in general or other bondage fantasies. The government is playing on the reason of reading it may make them do it, however in 99% of the cases with fantasies that are not the norm, and sometimes excessive, are played out or read in fictional stories are all the people need. The idea of it as well as the taboo of it is enough for them.

    One could make the other argument that if one doesnt find safe releases for those fantasies, such as the woman's website or other such things, then those desires could build up inside the person containing the fantasy and perhaps in the future they may act on them to understand the excitement of it. Then they'll have committed the act instead of read fiction about it or roleplayed it with a mate.

    If you're going to prosecute the woman on stories then start prosecuting all those websites with women wearing schoolgirl outfits. The common belief behind that is that she is underage and innocent which is part of the fantasy even IF the women in the outfits are of legal age. By the gov's standards "viewing women in schoolgirl outfits might make them take it upon themselves to go out and get a real underage schoolgirl and molest her"

    The gov will lose, the only thing they have going for them is that the public outcry will be smaller because of the subject matter and it's not socially acceptable to defend your rights when the 'criminal' is involved with pedophilia because people are scared that it'll imply they're all into it.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

    "Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

    MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

  9. #8
    Senior Member meltedtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,078
    Did she commit a crime as defined by the law? No. Is what she is writing about despicable and morally reprehensible? Yes. Infringing on her rights leads down a slippery slope. NAMBLA exists and continues to spew forth their repulsive beliefs about man/boy love, but until they actually act out on their sick fantasy they are protected by "freedom of speech". Personally, I'd like to castrate every one of those sick ****s but you would run the potential of opening up the proverbial can of worms in doing so. Where do stop? Who is going to police the "moral" police? Who draws the line? Sick ****s like this are an unfortunate part of what democracy is all about.
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

    There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

  10. #9
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Consider this story:
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/09/27/D8KDF2H00.html

    The Federal government is prosecuting a woman for textual obscenity. She had stories posted on her website that described kidnapping, torture, sexual acts, and murder involving young children, I assume as fantasy fodder.

    My questions:

    Is this a crime?

    Who is the victim?

    Is this something we should be spending resources on?
    I see no crime in her actions. There are certainly no victims... except the author.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    835
    While I don't think this is a crime, it's one of those cases
    where you hate to agree with or defend someone.

    Yeeechhhhh.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Eszekial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,143
    All you have to agree with is FREEDOM OF SPEECH
    Eszekial's Journal
    Age:20
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

  13. #12
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,669
    Anyone know (or have the time to find) an applicable statute? I'm guessing there is one.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  14. #13
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Consider this story:
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/09/27/D8KDF2H00.html


    Is this a crime?
    it says it violates federal law, so maybe it is. it just doesnt say what law.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    1,045
    Yep, thought police. Some thoughts (when expressed) are immediately and violently attacked by the "party". For example, any pro-caucasian, or pride in anything western is violently attacked and denounced as racism or hatred.
    Mel Gibson? Hardly anyone cares that he was DUI (a dangerous activity which could kill). But he babbles some anti-jewish rhetoric and he's attacked and ridiculed for it. If you translate the Russian words that KGB stands for into english, it translates almost exactly into "Department of Homeland Security". Yes, it's becoming illegal to think some thoughts.
    Last edited by manowar669; 09-29-2006 at 10:46 AM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

    buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

  16. #15
    天龙 McIrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Deep in the night
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Anyone know (or have the time to find) an applicable statute? I'm guessing there is one.
    The phrase "fighting words doctrine" came to mind - I studied some US constitutional law in college, so I did a quick google and here's what I came up with... note that "fighting words" originally applied to utterances to public officials but I think internet speech falls under the umbrella of public speech given the pervasiveness of internet media today. Anyhow, I personally think it will NEVER pass the strict scrutiny required and it'll get thrown out because it hardly causes an "immediate breach of the peace." There are probably a whole host of other related first amendment cases, but it's almost 1 a.m. and I'm too tired to think of any off the top of my head right now.


    "Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568 (1942).

    There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting" words — those which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality."

    http://www.freedomforum.org/template...cumentID=13718


    EDIT: Wow, I'm tired. For some reason, I thought that there was a state or federal statute that somehow prohibited her expression of said pedophilia, and *that* is what we were discussing. I have no idea what statute they would have charged her under...?
    Last edited by McIrish; 09-29-2006 at 11:02 AM.
    25 years old, 5'10''

    Back in the States to get hayooooge!

    Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

  17. #16
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,669
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    it says it violates federal law, so maybe it is. it just doesnt say what law.
    That's what I'm looking for - what law?

    Has that law passed any constiturional challenge?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  18. #17
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    you know...that law that prohibits you from writing what you want.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  19. #18
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,405
    is she a sick person? yes, but not a criminal, all of this **** is just another atack on the freedom of speech, i hold this dear to the heart because if you can control a persons speech and tell them what to say and what not to say it is one of the most basic yet simple forms of mind control, so yeah protect your rights to free speech and say what ya want
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  20. #19
    Senior Member DokterVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    584
    I dont' believe in victimless crimes. No victim, no crime IMO.
    (therefore I believe drugs should be legalized as well)

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    1,045
    The real evil is not what you can't say, but what "they" keep saying, over and over. Repetition of what they want you to think and feel. The "slant" that's presented every day on TV, radio, and printed media. People hear false truths, opinion, and just blatant lies repeated so much they're believed as facts. That's brainwashing, and it is the real evil.
    Last edited by manowar669; 09-29-2006 at 12:01 PM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

    buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

  22. #21
    Who is John Galt? CrazyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    Although Karen Fletcher is a sick person, she certainly didn't break the law.
    Agreed.

  23. #22
    Simplistic
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    2,179
    This is from Wikipedia, which obviously may not be accurate, but is seems to make sense-

    In some countries, e.g. Australia and Canada, textual material describing sexual activities involving children is legally classified as child pornography while in other countries, for example the United Kingdom, it is not prohibited in itself, but is caught under general laws controlling indecency and obscenity. In yet other countries, most significantly the United States, it is legal; written child pornography is legally protected by the US Constitution as long as it is not judged obscene. As it is very difficult to prove obcenity, it is effectively legal. As a result of its general legality in the United States, written child pornography is easily available on the Internet.


    It looks as though they got her because of the obscenity. What is and isn't obscene is very subjective, which in my opinion makes the law far more dangerous than her writing.
    Last edited by Neil; 09-29-2006 at 12:15 PM.

  24. #23
    Banned KingJustin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,025
    I know obscenity when I see it.

  25. #24
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,669
    OK, so they got her for violating an obscenity statute.

    So far everyone seems to agree that this is not a crime. Interesting. I was sure someone would think otherwise.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 09-29-2006 at 12:51 PM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  26. #25
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    OK, so they got her for violating an obscenity statute.

    So far everyone seems to agree that this is not a crime. Interesting. I was sure someone would think otherwise.
    I do think otherwise, but I don't really feel like being flamed for it...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •