The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

5 Months of Progress

The Before pics are from May 1 of this year, and the After pics were taken this evening. For the clothed pics, the Before pics were taken about a year ago (although I looked pretty much exactly the same up until May 1 of this year, since I couldn't work out because of an injury). In the May 1st pics, I'm approximately 186-187 lbs and in the After pics (which were taken with no pump) I'm about 226 lbs. I'm still bulking and hope to reach 240ish before cutting, unless my BF gets out of control. Keep in mind that I'm 6'5" if you're going to dispute my weight.

Here are the pics:

I blacked out my face in the front pics because I looked slightly constipated. And yeah, I realize I wasn't flexed in the Before pic in that case, but it's the only pic I had to use.

Any thoughts or comments?
    Last edited by Tofer; 01-11-2008 at 10:20 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Lookin' a lot bigger man. Keep it up. Your lats are definitely wider.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Dude!!! Why would anyone say crap bout you, you look heaps good man!!!! Like really good!

When I can find my dam camera Im gonna post pics of myself, I still have a spare tyre around me, but I know thats gonna go within 12 weeks. Youll rarely find someone on this site wholl just pay you out, thats against the rules and ruins the community spirit.

Keep working at it man!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Looking MUCH better. Legs must have gained several inches, arms and chest are bigger, lats are much wider, delts are great! Nice job.

looking awesome man, no need to be self-conscious
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

yes dude u look great! tremendous size gain! may i ask why did the girl shut u down? hoes these days...
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 10-01-2006 at 08:09 AM.
    2000 or bust

I see a big improvement in each picture. You're obviously doing everything right!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

looking good man, lots of progress, and still so lean! good stuff man, keep it up.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Great progress! You look a lot bigger all over. Keep it up!

Dude, thats some insane 5 month progress. Keep doing exactly what your doing.

You look alot bigger everywhere, especially the legs and lats. Good work.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Wannabebig Member
    Topher thanks for posting pics man. You look awesome. I cant believe thats only 5 months of progress. Dont let that chick get you down. Embarrassing moments make the funniest stories.
    Last edited by Yah Yah; 10-01-2006 at 09:27 AM.

Banned
    THAT IS AWESOME! Incredible transformation dude! Whatever you're doing don't stop! Mind posting your eating and training regiment?

Yeah Tof, you're doin something right... as has been said, your lats and quads have filled out noticeably and your back dbl bi shot looks markedly better now. Keep it up!
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Wow, thanks a lot everyone! Reading this thread was a really nice way to start my day. I appreciate each and every single reply.

After reading your comments, I already feel my confidence coming back. I'm not gonna let some awkward episode with a girl set me back again (if you really want to hear about it you can PM me, but otherwise this place has seen a bit too much girl drama lately and I don't wanna add to it) when I've spent so much time building up my confidence.

The one thing I didn't notice growing just from looking in the mirror was my legs. I guess when you start to feel them rubbing together when you wear jeans, though, you know they have to be getting bigger.

As for my diet and training regiment, well, as my mom remarked this summer, my body is basically the body that natural peanut butter built. I went through tons of the stuff. I started out with about 4000 calories (slightly higher depending on the day) and slowly increased my intake to 5000-5500 as the lbs went up. I kept it clean the entire time, which took a lot of will-power at first but eventually it just became easy. I don't like baking goods or anything sugary anymore, which makes it really easy to avoid the stuff. A lot of my calories come from weight gainer shakes I make. I take 375-500 ml of 2% or whole milk, two huge scoops of natural peanut butter, 0.5-0.75 cups of raw oats, a teaspoon of olive oil, 2 scoops of whey protein powder (vanilla) and a drop of honey and blend it to a liquid. I worked my way from drinking one of these a day at first, to three now. On top of that I eat whole wheat bread, chicken breasts, rice, potatoes, more peanut butter, almonds, peanuts, bananas, steak, pasta, salad, vegetables and yogurt. I like to keep it as clean as possible. I also drink about 4L of water a day, or more if I'm training. The one thing I've learned through all this is that Fat is your friend. If you're getting good Fats, depending on your weight, you can probably get down close to 200g a day. I probably went over that amount at times. I can't think of an easier way to get calories. All in all, as far as diet goes, I just read the advice given by members here in the diet section and followed as closely as possible. Oh, and I rarely, if ever, drank alcohol. Maybe twice all summer...

For training, my routine basically consisted of putting a maximum amount of effort into heavy compound movements and then throwing in a few other things. I started off doing a four day split for about four months, until my lifts started to plateau (this routine wasn't even that amazing now that I look at it, but here it is):

Monday: Chest/Biceps
    Flat BB Bench Press: 3 warm-up sets of 6-8, ramping up weight, and then 5x5
    Incline DB Press: 3x8
    Weighted Dips: 3x8-10
    Bicep Curls: 3x10
    Hammer Curls: 2x10

Tuesday: Quads/Calves
    Squats: 3 warm-up sets of 8-10, ramping up weight, and then 5x5
    Standing DB Lunges: 3x8-10 per side
    Leg Press: 4x10-12
    Standing Calf Raise: 3x12-15
    Seated Calfs: 3x10-12

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Back/Hams
    Pullups: 3-4x5
    Deadlifts: 3 warm-up sets of 6-8, ramping up weight, and then 5x5
    Barbell Rows (at 90 degrees): 3-4x8
    Weighted Hypers: 3x8-10
    Leg Curls: 3x10

Friday: Shoulders/Triceps
    Standing Millitary Press: 5x5-8
    Lateral Raise: 2x10
    Front Plate Raise: 2x10
    Close-Grip Bench: 4x8-10
    Weighted Dips: 3-4x8
    Pulldowns: 3x10

I think the main thing, in whatever workout you're doing, is that you need to be intense. I put everything I had into lifting, and I would come out of the gym literally pouring with sweat. When I'm at the gym my lifts are my focus and I try to avoid any distractions. Honestly, I think a routine like BGB or an Upper/Lower split is far superior to the above routine, but I started with this and I don't believe there's much benefit in switching things up all the time. I think you can grow whatever routine you're doing as long as you aren't overtaining, you're doing the major compound lifts and you're eating enough. Eating is such a huge part of the equation and most people really underestimate what it takes.

I've since started doing Bill Starr's 5x5 routine and my lifts are all going way up. After you finish getting use out of your beginner routine I highly recommend Bill Starr's routine. Squatting three times a week is making my legs and ass grow faster than ever before. I'm worried about the stretch marks that are creeping up, but I'm enjoying the progress too much to quit.

Ultimately, I think breaking my finger was a blessing in disguise because it got me to spend more time here, reading and researching to prepare for when I could finally get back to the gym. Without this site I would almost assuredly still be a skinny kid with zero confidence. I can't think you guys enough for that.

Wicked progress man! Everything's looking larger!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

ok, ur now the guy that im goin to look up 2, since ur bout my heite n weight..if i can make progress like that in the next 5 months, ill be extremely happy. btw how old ru

Thanks man. PM me anytime and I'll help you out with whatever you need.

I just turned 20 last month.

DO you like being that tall or is it a massive pain in the arse?

It has its advantages and disadvantages.

I think it's a little more difficult to look like you're getting bigger when you're tall. For example, if I gain as many lbs of muscle at 6'5" as some guy who is 5'5", the second guy is obviously going to look like he's gotten bigger. I'm also not too fond of the he stretch marks you can probably see on my back, which showed up when I started growing taller. I've yet to find a car I can fit my legs under, so I always feel a little stiff after driving for prolonged periods of time.

All in all, though, I feel like being tall gives me a more intimidating presence, and I feel like girls tend to look my way because of my height, which is kinda nice.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey how did you keep it up? How did you keep yourself from slacking? I felt like crap today but i still did a bit of a workout. Didnt have much stamina though.

lifting heavy
    dude great improvements. Your quads and back look a lot better. keep up the good work. If your 226 now I think you will easily be able to carry 240.

Your def right bout the hight thing, Im one of the tller kids and sually the biggest kid in ost social gatherings.

People notice you, and girls love it when they have a big guy with them.

Then they feel all light and small when you pick em up, they melt when I do that.

Also random comment, good idea with growing your hair, you look more buff surfer in a way, then akwad nerd with the short hair.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer
    I'm also not too fond of the he stretch marks you can probably see on my back, which showed up when I started growing taller.
    The lines horizontally along the middle of ur back? if so, those look cool man, nothing to be worried about!

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

wanna-be-bigger: The key is to find something that motivates you. In my case, having before pics to look at whenever I got down on myself, was enough to keep me going at first. After a while, it was the comments I kept getting from people (sometimes the most unexpected of people like neighbours I had never even talked to) that pushed me onwards. Now, it's just the fact that I love going to the gym and seeing my body change. I'm addicted to it.

Ricky Bobby: Thanks dude. I'm going to take it pretty slow to keep off the fat, if possible.

Fuzzy: Ha definitely. I've been getting that sense from girls a lot lately too. Especially the short asian girls. And thanks for the comment about the hair. I had short hair pretty much my entire life, and I never really felt like it looked good. Nerdy is definitely an appropriate word to describe it.

Andrew: Yeah, those damn horizontal lines... But thanks man. Back when I was 14 and I grew 9 inches over the summer, and they first appeared, they looked a lot worse than they do now. Hopefully they'll keep fading. Or maybe I'll just lie and start telling people they appeared because my back got wider.