The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Does anybody use half way bench?

does anybody do the half way down bench and does that really work my coach has it on are lifting sheet.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by droman
    does anybody do the half way down bench and does that really work my coach has it on are lifting sheet.

It sounds ridiculous to me. However - I've heard of people doing sets without going to lockout (or even close), just to isolate the pecs more.

I would think instead of "half way bench", you are better off with tricep presses or something.

What is the rest of his routine? you have me curious now
    Last edited by GoodThings; 09-25-2006 at 11:58 AM.

I guess when doing board presses or rack lockouts that that is essentially what you are doing. I assume you mean going halfway down with no boards or pins?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    I guess when doing board presses or rack lockouts that that is essentially what you are doing. I assume you mean going halfway down with no boards or pins?
    Or does he mean bring the bar to your chest every rep and only go 1/2 way up?

I'm not sure of your lifting experience, but I would just do the full range of motion.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Would you build half a house

From what I have seen posted by a few people in these forums, high school coaches have no business giving weightlifting advice. It's either just plain bad, or dangerous, or both.

I still can't get over the coach who suggested his guys should do squats with their toes facing inward.
    Last edited by Chris686; 09-26-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Yes, I used these basically exclusively to 'save my shoulders' (stopping 1.5 inches above my pecs) because it's uncomfortable to touch my chest. I went all the way to my chest for the first time since I started last night and my 1rm was 30 pounds lower than I expected. Don't do them until you're certain your full range bench is perfected.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Sounds like hes talking about board presses without boards...sounds pretty dumb to me unless you are training your shirted bench press for a comp. It's a good tricep exercise but that's about it, don't get too attached to the numbers you put up with that exercise because they won't reflect your true bench press at all.

edit - to answer the question, its a waste of your time. i would skip out on them and just do full range presses or weighted dips if you already have the bp in your routine.
    Last edited by dw06wu; 09-27-2006 at 02:59 PM.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Are you playing, say, baseball perhaps?
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686
    I still can't get over the coach who suggested his guys should do squats with their toes facing inward.
    It hurt my ankles just reading that.

Wannabebig Member
    well actually im in college but my coach knows nothing about lifting. I play baseball. And he has the towel bench or half bench on monday then the real bench on friday. I actually don't follow the sheet at all. the weeks plan has towel bench and squats on monday, wednesday is deadlift with 2 sets of pec decks for the chest? which i don't understand at all, friday is box sqauts and bench. and we play games and practce whenever possible in the fall. So i think he is overdoing it. I don't follow the plan but just wanted to see what you guys had to say about it.
    Last edited by droman; 09-30-2006 at 08:07 PM.

well actually im in college but my coach knows nothing about lifting. I play baseball. And he has the towel bench or half bench on monday then the real bench on friday. I actually don't follow the sheet at all. the weeks plan has towel bench and squats on monday, wednesday is deadlift with 2 sets of pec decks for the chest? which i don't understand at all, friday is box sqauts and bench. and we play games and practce whenever possible in the fall. So i think he is overdoing it. I don't follow the plan but just wanted to see what you guys had to say about it.
    What do you do to prevent shoulder injuries? This sounds like a recipe for internally rotated disaster.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Wannabebig Member
    well i do rotator cuff exercises whenever possible.

^Not too heavy, I hope. Keep it light on the rotator cuff, stuff.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle