The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Diet, exercise and testosterone (a study)

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/1/49

A few excerpts:

The fact that the absolute resistance exercise-induced increases in T and C concentrations were not significantly correlated with any nutritional variables indicates that other mechanisms are responsible for the acute hormonal responses to exercise stress. The significant increase in T after both the bench press and jump squat exercise protocols confirms that high-intensity resistance exercise results in elevated concentrations of T (5, 8, 18, 19, 29). The fact that T was increased by ~15% after the jump squat exercise compared with ~7% after the bench press exercise was most likely due to the greater muscle mass used in the jump squat (16, 20).
    Big compounds: More testosterone?

Results showed a reduced resting and postexercise increase in T concentrations in athletes consuming protein derived mainly from vegetable sources compared with a diet with protein derived mainly from animal sources.
    Maybe it's the zinc from meat?

These data are consistent with the findings of several other investigations that have reported a decrease in T in individuals consuming a diet containing ~20% fat compared with a diet containing ~40% fat
    Our results showed a nonsignificant correlation between PUFA and T and a significant negative correlation between the PUFA/SFA ratio and T.
    Too much PUFA is bad, but it doesn't tell about omega 3/6 ratios.
    Last edited by Max Thunder; 09-30-2006 at 08:56 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Haha thats awesome, all that i know is everytime i finish the full blown sessions i feel horny as an elephant for at least 20 minutes, then its gone. great hormone stimulator :O
    Last edited by Steven.Gaskell; 10-02-2006 at 10:02 PM.

so vegetable protein (soy) is better than animal protein (whey,etc)?

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    test = GOOD.
    God, don't you know anything? There were "studies" that show testosterone kills brain cells.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

I used to know stuff. But the squats and deads I do stimulated so much test, I am now completely brainless.

And JACKED!!!

I like how the found veggie protein to be inferior at boosting test. You don't win friends (or get laid) eating salad.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Thunder
    Results showed a reduced resting and postexercise increase in T concentrations in athletes consuming protein derived mainly from vegetable sources compared with a diet with protein derived mainly from animal sources.
    This is referencing another study. Here are a couple of other relevant quotes from it:

Quote Originally Posted by Serum sex hormones and endurance performance after a lacto-ovo vegetarian and a mixed diet
    Serum free testosterone, however, did not differ significantly during the 6 wk dietary intervention periods and neither did serum concentrations of sex hormone binding globulin, dihydrotestosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate, 4-androstenedione, estrone, estradiol, estrone sulphate, or gonadotropins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serum sex hormones and endurance performance after a lacto-ovo vegetarian and a mixed diet
    In conclusion, 6 wk on a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet caused a minor decrease in total testosterone and no significant changes in physical performance in male endurance athletes compared with 6 wk on a mixed, meatrich diet.