Thread: Update on my short bulk/cut

Update on my short bulk/cut

I posted a few weeks back saying I was going to start a 3-4 week bulk then a 3 week cut...since I didnt want to run a long bulk and I just got done doing a cut. I also said I would be doing some HIT including drop sets, rest-pause, and strip sets. Well I am done with the 1st half. I started 3 weeks ago weighing in at 202 lbs and am up to 212 now. My strength gains were awsome thanks to the HIT I believe, I am very happy with my results so far considering I barely gained any fat at all. I am almost tempted to run one more week of bulking b4 cutting for 2 weeks? Maybe I will do a mild but for the 1st week and get intense the next 2 weeks...any thoughts?

10lb gain in 3 weeks is impressive, if your not gaining much b/f, then keep up the bulk.

How did you avoid putting on bodyfat? I always have trouble with that...

EC

I tried to stay away from white carb and fatty foods (bad fat)...while taking in good fat and at least an extra meal per day and my meal sizes also increased. I started to see an very slight increase in b/f in my gut...but my g/f said I was crazy. I hit the weights crazy hard and trained super intense about 4-5 days/week. I am very pleased with my size gains and strength gains for a 3.5 week bulk.

As for staying on it...I am tempted since i did so well...but I am going to Cancun the 2nd week of Oct so I want to cut up a little. Once I get back I may run a 4 week bulk then a 2-3 week cut cycles. My main goal is to be 220-230 by spring.

do you have measyrements? before and after? bf% before and after?

sounds like great progress I'm just curious.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

no ..i just tracked my weight every week...I want to cut these next 3 weeks and get to about 208...so gain of 10lbs in 3.5 weeks then lose 4 lbs in 3 weeks...for a net gain of 4-5 lbs of muscle in 6.5 weeks...i think is decent

sounds like it, keep doin what your doin'!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--

ya I like it so far...i am confident in my cut...i just did one a little while ago and i did awsome...all it is, is eating what you should and when...not that hard...just have to shop right. I am going to lay off the HIT thought to give the CNS a break. Like I said a while ago I only did this since i just got off a cut cycle in the middle of Aug and was going to cancun in Oct. After that I am going to bulk at least a month at a time....maybe bulk 10-15 lbs then cut till I am decently ripped and keep doing that...so by spring i can be 220-230 shredded....which will take a ton of hard work and smart eating....so it is in writing now and we will see if I do it.

start a journal, so we can all follow along.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...

Reminds me of something I'm gonna try sometime soon:

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/abcde/v58_abc1.asp
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

I'd like to see a typical day's eating for you, can you post it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    I'd like to see a typical day's eating for you, can you post it?

When on my Bulk here is a generic day of eating for me...Keep in mind i work 9-5

9:00AM: Hanna Protein bar (homemade) 800 Cal
    10:00AM Quaker B-fast Bar 200 Cal
    11:00AM Zone perfect protein bar 210 Cal
    12:00PM Lunch usually leftovers or large serving of chili, brown rice/meat/sauce combo
    2:00PM cashews or peanuts
    4:00PM small serving of leftovers or pita pizza (on training days...but I wasnt too strict to tell the truth)
    7:00PM Dinner Large servings of a meat, Veg, salad, and a side of brown rice, potatoes, or side pasta meal (I would try to eat white carbs only on training days)
    9:00PM 2 scoops of Nitrean and 12-14 oz of skim milk

That is a generic sample of a typical day

Training
    You wouldn't happen to have the macro's for that would you?
    Starting over...

Quote Originally Posted by Al3X
    You wouldn't happen to have the macro's for that would you?
    no I don't sorry...I just tried to eat as clean as i could...and truthfully there were a few cheat days in there...I didnt really worry about them since I was on a bulk...cheese fries are a muct when you go to a amusement park...hahaha

Unfortunately when I'm trying to bulk I eat tons of french fries which I make in the oven,,,

By the way, whats a homemade hannah protein bar?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Unfortunately when I'm trying to bulk I eat tons of french fries which I make in the oven,,,
    Perhaps you should eat cleaner.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray
    Reminds me of something I'm gonna try sometime soon:

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/abcde/v58_abc1.asp
    Ive skimmed that article and is the idea to just switch up macros every 2 weeks?

I will have to take like a whole day to sit down and read that thing, freaking long as hell.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by bics56
    When on my Bulk here is a generic day of eating for me...Keep in mind i work 9-5

9:00AM: Hanna Protein bar (homemade) 800 Cal
    10:00AM Quaker B-fast Bar 200 Cal
    11:00AM Zone perfect protein bar 210 Cal
    12:00PM Lunch usually leftovers or large serving of chili, brown rice/meat/sauce combo
    2:00PM cashews or peanuts
    4:00PM small serving of leftovers or pita pizza (on training days...but I wasnt too strict to tell the truth)
    7:00PM Dinner Large servings of a meat, Veg, salad, and a side of brown rice, potatoes, or side pasta meal (I would try to eat white carbs only on training days)
    9:00PM 2 scoops of Nitrean and 12-14 oz of skim milk

That is a generic sample of a typical day
    Still dont know what a hannah protein bar is, or what "leftovers" are... it could be leftover hotdogs and cheese steak for all I know :0

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    Still dont know what a hannah protein bar is, or what "leftovers" are... it could be leftover hotdogs and cheese steak for all I know :0
    The famous hanna protein/weightgainer bar is a recipe from a member on here...just do a search. For the leftovers I would pretty much make 2 servings everydinner and take in the leftovers the next day. All in all cut or bulk I tried to keep the calories as clean as possible...no junk!!!

Another update where I am now I have been cutting for the last 3 weeks and I went from 212- 208....so in about 6 weeks a net gain of 6-7 lbs...now I am going to Cancun all inclusive booze and food so now all my hard work will go to crap...haha ohh well

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Perhaps you should eat cleaner.
    If they are homemade I think that they could be good.

Did a search for Hannah bar, found no recipe. By the way, saying "I ate leftovers" still doesnt tell me what foods you eat... but its all good. I assume youre just eating chicken, tuna, etc...

I'm on a bulk, wish me luck...