The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Bench365/Squat405/Deadlift455

Starting a new journal because I sord of let the last one go since I reached the goal I stated in the title already. Hopefully I want to get all the numbers mentioned in the thread title sometime by or soon after the end of the year. It's going to be hard but since lifting and school is my life I should be able to pull it off. I'm coming off a chest injury which I still don't think is 100% but i lifted for the first time in a month without pain this week so i'm gonna start up again. I think my ultimate goal is not only to get a lot stronger but after getting into looking at a lot of these fitness magazines I think one day i would like to try to enter an amateur BB contest. I also wanna compete in powerlifting events at my school which start I think in february so any help you guys can offer will be appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

dude good luck with your goals, you can do it man. All your goals are set on my birthday too.. thats a very special day
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Learning as I progress
    Gl dblock, cant wait to see u progress, u already strong, cant wait to see what ur puttin up in a few months.
    Complication breeds desperation.

I know you had the chest injury, sorry to hear about it but let's get moving with this new $hit...go do it bro.
    Last edited by Coke; 10-05-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Leg Day

Squats

135 x 5
    4 sets x 225 x 10

Leg Extensions
    140 x 10
    150 x 10
    140 x 10

Leg Press
    3pps x 20

Leg Curls
    70 x 10
    2sets x 90 x 10 reps

Lat Pulldown
    3 x 120 x 12

Seated Rows
    3 x 150 x 8

Hanging DB Flyes
    3 x 25s x 8

just like a warm up workout, I didn't want to go too heavy today. the squats had me breathing heavy though I guess I'm out of shape.

quick question for you guys? after your leg workouts how long are your legs normally tired or do they ever get sore? My legs are normally tired for about five minutes and then after walkin around for a little bit I don't even feel like I lifted. I'm not sure if I should up the volume or what. I don't want to overdo it, but I also don't want to not do enough.

nate - thanks man. haha yea i guess it will be a pretty special day
    con - thanks. yea i can't wait either
    cocoa - lol thanks for the motivation bro

Nice workout, 2pps squats for several sets and reps is super - you could actually go a lot heavier with lower reps imo.

ehhh.. school's killing me. i have been lifting though. just no time to post. I started off doing the strength and size workout from the november M&F Magazine and then I realized how gay it was so I kinda strayed away from it as I worked out. Not all their workout are bad, I just happened to pick a gay one

Incline Bench
    135 x 3
    155 x 3
    205 x 3

Flat Bench
    135 x 3
    185 x 3
    245 x 3

DB Flyes
    25s x 4
    40s x 4
    50s x 4

Close Grip Bench
    3 sets x 135 x 10

Dips
    3 sets X BW x 8

Overhead Rope Pulls
    3 sets x 115 x 8

Tricep Pushdowns
    3 sets x 140 x 8

I guess my problem with the workout is there isn't enough time where I'm actually pushing myself. The last set of each exercise was the only one where I was feeling anything because it was supposed to be 100% of my 3RM to failure. i'll just stick to making my own workouts. it always seemed to work for me.

The the last rep of 3 sets of 245 was kinda tough, never got stuck, but it wasn't easy, but I definitely lost some strength because in August I would of put that up like it was nothing. damn injuries

I also wanted to add that I think I'm gonna drop a couple pounds. Probably go on a short little cut until the end of October maybe until the end of November depending on the results I see. I'm thinkin down to 185? I figured i'm doing so much cardio by playing basketball at school all the time, and flag football is starting up so i'm gonna be doing even more running so I might as well.

Cocoa: Thanks man. Yea I probably could of. I'll see how i'll feel tomorrow
    Last edited by dblockspky; 10-16-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Learning as I progress
    You could always just eat more to maintain ur weight.

And about your workouts, why not try some fullbody workouts? Focus on the big lifts and lift heavy, maybe a bit of accessory work when you feel you really need it. I think planned workouts(the exercizes, not the days) would make ur life easier in the gym.

Anyway nice workout, being busy is better than being bored out ur mind.
    Complication breeds desperation.

yeaa. but I think I spoiled myself when I was bulking so I'm constantly hungry no matter how much I eat so I gotta figure out some way to deal with that. plus I always wanted to see how I would look with a low body fat percentage. I think right now I'm between 10 and 12% so I would like to get down to 7% by the end of the year anyway. what better time to do it than when i'm already doin a bunch of cardio. intramural flag football starts next week so that's even more running I'll be doing

no mass for the lazzy ass kartwheel's Avatar
    i wish i was putting up the numbers that you are at 17 years old. keep it up man.

Quote Originally Posted by kartwheel
    i wish i was putting up the numbers that you are at 17 years old. keep it up man.
    Me too...you have a great beginning for lifting - your numbers are ace, especially your benching.

Leg Day

Squats
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    225 x 10
    225 x 10

BB Curls
    95 x 6
    95 x 5
    95 x 7

Leg Press
    3 sets x 3 pps x 16 reps

Alternating DB Curls

40s x 6 (each side)
    40s x 5 (each side)
    40s x 6 (each side)

Leg Extensions
    4 sets x 10 reps

Hammer Curls
    3 sets x 40s x 5

Leg Press Calf Raises
    4 sets x 3 pps x 12

Ehh today's workout didn't really strike me as a good one. I was kind of disappointed how much energy I had to use to finish my squats. Although I tried to switch it up today... on average I rested less than a minute between sets and less than that if I was working a different bodypart than the previous exercise. I was trying to work legs once a week to see how that worked but It doesn't seem to be too great so I'm gonna go back to 2x a week. My legs are starting to get pretty jacked though.. maybe its the extensions cuz i never used to do them, or it could be the high reps on squats.

anywaysss benching tomorrow. hopefully I can bust out a good workout, I haven't had one in a while.

kartwheel and cocoa - thanks, that means a lot. and cocoa if i can get as strong as you any period during my lifetime I'd be surprised
    Last edited by dblockspky; 10-23-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dblockspky
    ...and cocoa if i can get as strong as you any period during my lifetime I'd be surprised
    Hell, you'll pass me within the next couple of years...not surprised to hear your legs are getting jacked, nice squats.

Just a quick shoulder workout today. I was supposed to do back and abs also but I ended up going to the court and playing basketball for 3 hours. talk about intense cardio

DB Shoulder Press
    60s x 10
    70s x 8
    80s x 3
    needed help on the last set to get even those three up. i guess the first two sets killed me

DB Shrugs
    100s x 10
    100s x 12
    100s x 12

Lateral Raises
    15s x 10
    20s x 8
    25s x 6

Front Raises
    3 sets x 45 x 8

Seated Cleans
    15 x 10
    20 x 8
    25 x 8
    Took me a while to get these down. I worked out with this kid today and he told me about them. my first set with the 15s I actually did way more than 10reps because I had to keep correcting my form.

today was ehhh. i never get too excited about shoulder workouts anyway. The kid I worked out with was about 5'9 220 so I didn't really expect to keep up with him much. but the only things he did different was the last set of DB Press he actually did 6 reps with the 80s by himself and I think he went heavier on one set of the front barbell raises. But I think I did more reps with shrugs so ha, power to the skinny man.

november starts next week and I think i'm gonna go on another bulk if I can manage someway to get food while I'm at school without spending tremendous amounts of money. Right now I'm consistantly weighing in at about 193-194. So I'm gonna try and put on about 6 pounds to make it a solid 200, gaining as little fat as possible.

thanks cocoa. i can't wait for that day to come. i'll be huuggge
    Last edited by dblockspky; 10-26-2006 at 07:52 PM.

Fine shoulder work, good pressing. Have the folks get you lots of those protein bars for xmas, you can get a couple of bites inbetween classes to help you out - gonna be 200+ by next summer and pimp bro.
    Last edited by Coke; 10-27-2006 at 05:38 AM.

DB Bench Press
    40s x 12
    70s x 10
    80s x 10
    90s x 6

Incline DB Press
    65s x 8
    70s x 8
    80s x 4

Close Grip DB Press
    35s x 8
    40s x 8
    45s x 8

Cybex Cable Flyes
    4 sets x 8 reps
    i dunno how the weight works on that thing

Hanging Pressdowns
    60 x 10
    70 x 10
    80 x 10

Tricep Pressdowns
    3 sets x 140 x 8

I think this was a decent workout. as a matter of fact I can't remember if I ever really went up to 90s doing benching. I recall doing 100s once but it was only for 3 reps. anyways.. i hate the fact that i'll be going solid for 10 reps for the first 2 sets and then my 3rd set I have to struggle to even get the first rep up. Maybe I need to work on my endurance a lot more. And it's hard as **** for me to lift with heavy as dumbbells. the movement itself isn't hard. but just getting the weight up is crazy. I can't imagine how much of a pain in the ass it must be for those guys that do DB benching with over 120 pounds.

You could easily handle more weight with your db bench presses for example, just try less reps on intitial sets and keep them low throughout and see what happens...the push session is very nice dude, numbers were heavy as is.

just did a quick workout today, i didn't really plan on it but I was in the area so i figured i'd stop in the gym

Bench Press

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    185 x 5

Incline
    135 x 8
    145 x 8
    155 x 6
    165 x 6

Standing Tricep DB Overhead Press
    50 x 10
    60 x 8
    60 x 8

Dips
    1 set to failure.. I think I got about 8

yea that's it. Nothing special. Tomorrow should be a good workout though because I only have one class so I don't have to rush.
    Last edited by dblockspky; 10-31-2006 at 09:10 PM.

Good chest and tricep session on the fly.

Leg/Back Day

Squat
    135 x 5
    225 x 5
    235 x 5
    245 x 5
    255 x 5
    265 x 5

SL Deadlifts
    135 x 5
    4 x 225 x 5

Lat Pulldowns
    3 x 140 x 8

Leg Press
    4 sets x 3pps x 10

Seated Cable Row
    140 x 8
    150 x 8
    160 x 8
    170 x 8

LP Calf Raises

3 x 3pps x 15reps

Calf Raises w/ DB
    1 set x 60s x 10(each leg)

N.G. Pull Ups
    1 x 10

workout was eh.. my legs were dead tired from a flag football game on tuesday and playing basketball for almost 4 hours on wednesday. i have ridiculous shin splints that I don't know how to get rid of. it doesn't really effect me too much.. but I was going to do leg extensions and after a couple of reps i couldn't stand the pain of the pad on my shins haha that sounded kind of soft. I gotta start taking vitamins regularly cuz something always seems to limit me whether it be elbow pain, wrist pain, shins, or hip pain, or something just being flat out injured. I've been meaning to get to a chiropractor but i've just been busy so we'll see when that finally happens

Time heals and clears things up, I'd forego the chiro for some time dude...quite the athlete, playing lots of ball.

Chest/Tris

Bench Press
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 3
    185 x 7

Skulls
    3 x 10 reps

Overhead Tricep Extension
    3 x 65s x 7

Hanging Rope Pulldown
    3 x 8 reps

I didn't write down what I did so I forgot how much weight I used. Lifting is starting to get frustrating. I knew it would be harder to make the same type of gains I got in the summer during school but not this hard. Fortunately my physique is getting better though. I'm getting more cut and i'm actually getting bigger which is why i'm confused as to why i'm not seeing any strength gains. oh well

I'm hearing you bro...the best thing to do is keep on it no matter what and then one day it all seems to show up.

Fine effort, stay with it.

wow i have to brush the dust off this thread. i'm going to try to post more consistantly now. I'm going to have a lot more free time with my schedule this semester so I should be able to keep up. I dropped a significant amount of weight & strength within the last few months due to several things but I'm determined to reach my goals now so I don't plan on having any setbacks. I realized a major factor in me losing so much weight and not being able to maintain the strength that I had was that I wasn't eating enough food. In order to maintain my weight at 195 I would of had to been eating close to 3000 calories a day if I factored in how much running around I do throughout the day. But I noticed that on a normal day I probably only got 2000 calories, if that. I was so used to being skinny that I never really adjusted my eating habits so that's gonna be the hardest thing to do for me, after doing that progress with the weights should be nothing

today's workout:

Bench Press
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5

Incline Bench

135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x 3

Overhead DB Press
    60 x 8
    60 x 8
    60 x 10

Rope Tri-Pulldowns

125 x 8
    135 x 8

Hanging Rope PullDowns
    125 x 8
    125 x 10

I didn't really get to do a lot today, I decided to workout at the main campus gym at around 6:30 and it was packed. I had to wait to start my workout a good 15 minutes because all the benches were taken. As far as the workout itself, I'm happy I was able to bang out the last two sets of 225 on fb. Last week I could barely get 225 up twice and althought I knew my strength would come back easier after a long break I didn't think it would be that quick. I have been disappointed with my incline benching though. During the summer after intense flat benching i could go to incline bench and go 3 sets of 185 for 5. Now i'd be lucky to put up 3 sets of 155 for 5. Oh well.

And on a side note today might be the first time besides a holiday or special day that I've went over 3000 calories on regular food. I've been logging everything I eat into fitday to keep track and I also amassed 220+ grams of protein today so i'm pretty happy with that. Hopefully I can keep it up
    Last edited by dblockspky; 01-22-2007 at 09:08 PM.