Thread: little help?

little help?

a football forum im a member of...

theres a fitness section, and this guy is trying to give people advice, so i shot him down...what an idiot..

anyway, i dont know how to prove and explain some of the things im saying...
    e.g the arms day, and the rest day thing, and the bi/tri isolation..

little help?

i said
    ulster...

fairplay for posting your routine....

but it is lacking a loooooooot...

1)no legs
    2)no compound workouts
    3) 1 rest day a week is not enough
    4) arms do not need their own day
    5) direct tricep/bicep isolation is not needed iy tou have enough push/pull in your workout eg. rows and chinups for bicep, heavy bench press for triceps
    he said

1) My legs are fine now with doing the bike 6 days a week.
    2) Yea maybe so.. I didn't say my routine was perfect, but it works for me.
    3) It sure is, plenty of body builders work out 6 days a week.
    4) Says who.
    5) That is such a lie... yea if you want average triceps/biceps.. but I did not start seeing good buildup & definition in my triceps/biceps until I started doing these exercises.

i said
    Originally Posted by ooaapaulmcgrath
    i think you could do with a programme revamp aswell ullster...and by think...i mean know...
    he said...
    Are you kidding me? I'm 6'1 190, cut... My routine is working great for me. I doubt some benchwarmer for the County Meath indoor football travel team is going to be able to give me any pointers on lifting weights.

his routine
    This is my routine:
    monday: off
    tuesday: shoulders
    wednesday: arms
    thursday: chest & back
    friday: shoulders
    saturday: arms
    sunday: chest & back

SHOULDERS: shoulder shrugs, seated shoulder press, seated lateral raise, reverse lateral raise.

ARMS: biceps seated dumbell curls, standing curls on one side of the chest-cross aparatus, preacher curl, seated curl machine triceps tricep pulldown with rope & u-shaped bar, seated tricep machine

misc.: for curls and tricep pulldowns I only go 90 degrees anything past that is useless and may cause injuries. Also when I get to 90 degrees I hold for 2-3 seconds and squeeze the muscle I'm working, go nice & slow & squeeze.

CHEST & BACK: chest incline dumbell press, cable cross both low and high, chest fly machine. back lat pulldown & pullup, seated row.

Also, for Cardio I do 15 minutes on a bike(120 rpm) it gets the heart rate around 185 & 5 minutes of the rowing machine at 31-33 rpm. I have recently been doing this for the last 2 months and I have really seen a difference in my abs. I do this Cardio 6 days a week. I would recommend running but I use to run and I got alot of shin splints so I do the bike and rowing machine because it puts less stress on my legs.

For any set... squeeze the muscle your working & go slow. quality of reps over quantity of reps
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

I'll help you out.

Here's a little life lesson: don't say anything you can't back up.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

right..thanks boss.....

cough...

what i mean is, i dont have the words to say it, i thought thats what this forum was for, helping people out, but it appears some use it just to boost their egos by putting others down..

but seriously, thanks for your time and help
    I agree with McVein

I wasn't putting you down, I was being serious.

If you can't explain something how do you know what you believe is true? Because you've heard it repeated over and over again?
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Get bigger and then maybe he will listen you.

because i have seen some of the better posters here saying the same stuff as me.....

how do you expect that i find out then??....just close my eyes and hope it comes to me??..

i only said it to him because he was giving this kid bad advice....

and im asking you because im aware people here would have the words to reinforce that...

so basically, what you are saying is....advice given on this forum might not be true? and just because ive been told it, i shouldnt beleive it? hmm..this really is a great forum
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    Get bigger and then maybe he will listen you.

yeah, cheers..........im not going to get into any of that with him...

and before you were squatting six tonnes, or whatever it is your repping nowadays...you werent always as big as you are now..

but agan, cheers for the input....youre not by any chance just saying that because YOU dont know the answer to my question are you??
    I agree with McVein

Banned
    To be honest, I don't think you were terribly politic in your comments about his workout. Regardless of what you know or think you know, taking a bluntly critical approach is usually certain to get someone's back up and make them unreceptive to any valuable advice you may have. Notice how Jorge's comments made you immediately defensive?

Jorge Sanchez, despite his bluntness, has a point. If you can't explain the WHY behind advice you're giving, you probably shouldn't give it...

It is pretty clear to me from the guy's workout schedule that maximum hypertrophy is not his primary goal. He just wants to look good in tight shirts and continue to play soccer.

As a suggestion, next time someone posts a workout, why not try asking them questions about why they have it structured in a certain way instead of immediately jumping in with "it is lacking a loooooooooooooooot".

As far as answering your specific questions, using the search function here as well as Google will probably be pretty effective and should lead you to specific answers about items like:
    - arms on their own day
    - benefits of a leg day
    - rest days
    - etc.
    Last edited by Relentless; 10-10-2006 at 02:15 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McVein
    so basically, what you are saying is....advice given on this forum might not be true? and just because ive been told it, i shouldnt beleive it? hmm..this really is a great forum
    You should take any advice you read on ANY forum with a grain of salt and not be afraid to do research on your own as well!

There are a number of very experienced members here that can dispense some pretty damned good advice. There are also a number of members that will dispense advice based on secondhand knowledge and what they've seen others say.

Ultimately you'll get the most out of this forum if you take all advice with a grain of salt and use the advice as suggestions rather than immutable laws. Then, take the advice to your testing lab (i.e. your own gym) and see how it works for YOU.

thankyou,

i know i was blunt on the other forum, but thats because me and the other poster arent exactly chums

i apologise to jorge sanchez, but i did post looking for help....thus admitting i did not know....

thats all....

i said his routine was lacking, because i COULD explain that.... and went on to do so,

thanks for the help though, again, i apologise
    I agree with McVein

Are you kidding me? I'm 6'1 190, cut... My routine is working great for me. I doubt some benchwarmer for the County Meath indoor football travel team is going to be able to give me any pointers on lifting weights.

Hilarious. What is this guy pro? At a whopping 6'1 190?
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity