Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Dull nagging knee pain?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,965

    Dull nagging knee pain?

    My right knee has been bothering me for a few weeks now. It's not really painful, rather a dull sorta annoyance. I don't remember ever injuring my knees, so I really don't see how I could have torn anything. I still lift like usual, and on leg days my knee doesn't bother me when I squat and leg press. My knee doesn't bother me all the time either, it seems like every other day or so, I'll feel the dull nagging come out of no where. Think I could have just strained it or something?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

  2. #2
    http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain
    My right knee has been bothering me for a few weeks now. It's not really painful, rather a dull sorta annoyance. I don't remember ever injuring my knees, so I really don't see how I could have torn anything. I still lift like usual, and on leg days my knee doesn't bother me when I squat and leg press. My knee doesn't bother me all the time either, it seems like every other day or so, I'll feel the dull nagging come out of no where. Think I could have just strained it or something?
    I've had that feeling for a while. It felt like something was swisting the knee inside. Not painful but uncomfortable.
    To fix I have gotten orthodics, and have gone to a chiropractor that knows how to adjust knees. Haven't had the feeling in a while now - it's awesome.
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

    Status: Bulking as of 12/09/2006
    Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

    MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

  3. #3
    Take Two Ruffian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DisneyWorld
    Posts
    743
    Hmm... Chiropractor for knees? Way too experimental for me... A Single joint like a knee which has to support your weight is exremely dangerous to adjust and very rarely will come out of alignment anyways.

    Most likely its some tendenosis in the knee (not tendonitis, see the thread in here somewhere by sensei) or else some minor cartilidge damage. Is the knee pain sharp? When does it occur? Will it come for a day and then dissapeer for a while? The last one is the trademark of cartiledge damage, a small piece will fall off, float around and cause inflamation in the knee and then get nudged away into some little space... The inflammation will leave and then one day you will wake up and be subject to pain again. I will suggest to lay off the squats /deads for a week, just to rest it. Make sure to stretch lots and see how it goes. More then likely its either bad squat form or just strain on the patella tendons (nothing severe as long as you rest it properly). Stretching is extremely important once you start experiencing knee pain. Proper stretching regimines can reduce the pain exponentially (Trust me I know) by reducing the strain on the patella and loosening the surrounding muscles.

    Another possibility is a muscular imbalance between the hamstring and quads. What sort of leg training regimine do you have?
    Stats:
    Age: 22
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

    Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

  4. #4
    Fury Divine RickTheDestroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian
    Make sure to stretch lots and see how it goes. More then likely its either bad squat form or just strain on the patella tendons (nothing severe as long as you rest it properly). Stretching is extremely important once you start experiencing knee pain. Proper stretching regimines can reduce the pain exponentially (Trust me I know) by reducing the strain on the patella and loosening the surrounding muscles.

    Another possibility is a muscular imbalance between the hamstring and quads. What sort of leg training regimine do you have?
    :withstupi
    Get a foam roller too, and hit your IT band and glutes like a mofo. Diligent stretching and rolling has eliminated my knee pain almost entirely.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

  5. #5
    Take Two Ruffian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DisneyWorld
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by RickTheDestroyer
    :withstupi
    Get a foam roller too, and hit your IT band and glutes like a mofo. Diligent stretching and rolling has eliminated my knee pain almost entirely.
    Yes, that will possibly work however, that is dependant upon the type of knee pain. if it is caused by a muscle inbalance or instability then this will help greatly. IF it is a structural issue(as with mine) it will make it worse.
    Stats:
    Age: 22
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

    Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

  6. #6
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,965
    Thanks guys (and gals).

    What kind of stretching would you suggest? Just regular leg stretches, or is there something special for your knee?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

  7. #7
    Take Two Ruffian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DisneyWorld
    Posts
    743
    Nah, just regular leg stretches because most time the strain is not focused on the joint itself but also in the surrounding muscle groups. If you hit your hamstrigs and quads well with stretches (after you are warmed up, use it as a cool down) you should see the pain improve. If it doesnt, see a doc.
    Stats:
    Age: 22
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

    Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

  8. #8
    el imposible ectx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,422
    try a figure 4 stretch too. That's where you're on your back and put one ankle over the knee of the other leg and push down on the knee for the leg that's resting on the other.

    As an aside, do you have pronation issues? check your shoes and see how worn they are and where. Perhaps your problem is in the shoes and nothing else. When I ran certain shoes gave my knees a dull aching pain. The pain went away with different shoes.
    ecDoesIt

    "You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

    My latest (and only) WBB article.

  9. #9
    Take Two Ruffian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DisneyWorld
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    try a figure 4 stretch too. That's where you're on your back and put one ankle over the knee of the other leg and push down on the knee for the leg that's resting on the other.

    As an aside, do you have pronation issues? check your shoes and see how worn they are and where. Perhaps your problem is in the shoes and nothing else. When I ran certain shoes gave my knees a dull aching pain. The pain went away with different shoes.
    That is a good point but often times its more just the type of shoe as opposed to the pronation. My feet have fallen arches and I am pigeon toed at the same time... I have always suffered from jointpain because this structural fault has caused my strength to be imbalanced in my legs. However, I went to a real shoe store (no foot locker or any bs like that. Go to a specialty store) and bought a pair of custom type running shoes (sochane ... i cant think of the actual spelling.) which were built for pronation and pigeon toes and I have experienced no pain with exception of my knee cap (but that is totally unrelated). Also, go in and get an orthodics made if you require one, they can be placed in your every day shoes and will help to both strengthen the muscles and relieve pain.

    However, in the meantime make sure your form is PERFECT, and stretch!
    Stats:
    Age: 22
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

    Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

  10. #10
    Banned Roddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    281
    lots of rest, ice till numb and this may sound gay, but sleep on your side with a pillow placed between your knees. I had knee pain that the doctors couldnt diagnose for over a year... so bad i couldnt walk for 6 weeks at one point... physio every other day, sports therapy.. nothing... i eventually caved in, rested my legs completely for over months.. and ya ....

  11. #11
    el imposible ectx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian
    That is a good point but often times its more just the type of shoe as opposed to the pronation. My feet have fallen arches and I am pigeon toed at the same time... I have always suffered from jointpain because this structural fault has caused my strength to be imbalanced in my legs. However, I went to a real shoe store (no foot locker or any bs like that. Go to a specialty store) and bought a pair of custom type running shoes (sochane ... i cant think of the actual spelling.) which were built for pronation and pigeon toes and I have experienced no pain with exception of my knee cap (but that is totally unrelated). Also, go in and get an orthodics made if you require one, they can be placed in your every day shoes and will help to both strengthen the muscles and relieve pain.

    However, in the meantime make sure your form is PERFECT, and stretch!
    Yep, Agreed. In the states I recommend a running store called Fleet Feet. They have them pretty much anywhere and will analyze your gate and tell you what you need. Otherwise go see a podiatrist and have some orthotics made.

    And Sylvia, as for the shoe you got it's spelled Saucony and pronounced "sock a knee"...lol...you should hear how I use to butcher that name.

    great shoe, btw...it's what I wear.
    ecDoesIt

    "You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

    My latest (and only) WBB article.

  12. #12
    Take Two Ruffian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DisneyWorld
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    Yep, Agreed. In the states I recommend a running store called Fleet Feet. They have them pretty much anywhere and will analyze your gate and tell you what you need. Otherwise go see a podiatrist and have some orthotics made.

    And Sylvia, as for the shoe you got it's spelled Saucony and pronounced "sock a knee"...lol...you should hear how I use to butcher that name.

    great shoe, btw...it's what I wear.
    *gasp* I am not sylvia *Shakes head*. This would be THE ruffian (aka. Kristen).

    Yes, I know thats how it is pronounced I just can never spell the actual name on the shoe unless I have it beside me. They are phenomenal shoes, and well worth the money. I have had mine for 3 years and there is virtually no wear with exception of some minor aesthetic stuff. WONDERFUL shoes!

    As for the sleeping with a pillow between your legs comment, that is actually for your hips. I do it every day because I have extremely flexible hips (borderlining on double jointedness) and am prone to injury there, that helps to keep the muscles and tendons from getting pulled in my sleep. More then likely if that helped with your knee problems it was an extreme tighness in your muscles caused by strain in your hip. Think about it, it would do absolutely nothing for your knees but it does keep your legs straight, which in turn, helps your hips.

    But if there is inflamation then of course use RICE (Rest,ice compression elevation). If there isnt, then you shouldnt have to worry about it, especially considering your lack of sharp shooting pains. Oh, and if you do ice dont ice until numb. Do 20 mins on, 20 mins off for a period of 2 hours. Then take an hour break and do it again. Icing until numb will only cause the muscles to lock up, making them more prone to injury and can cause you to get frost bite on your skin.
    Stats:
    Age: 22
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

    Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •