Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight in 6 weeks - How best to get fit & ready

Fight in 6 weeks - How best to get fit & ready

Hey guys and girls,

Got my first kickboxing fight in 6 weeks, it is only 3 x 2 minute rounds, but I still want to be ready. I know a fighters first fight is important, because some lose and give up or take such a beating they don't want to put themselves through it again, I know win or lose I will fight again... but I obviously want to win and win well.

I want to ask you guys, how I can get to my maximum possible fitness (in the time frame) and clean up my technique as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Reala; 10-07-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Try this from www.crossfit.com is used by a lot of fighters, its one hell of a workout.

Fight Gone Bad

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. We�ve used this in 3 and 5 round versions. The stations are:

1. Wall-ball � 20 pound ball, 8 ft target. (Reps)
    2. Deadlift high-pull 75 pounds (Reps)
    3. Box Jump � 20" box (Reps)
    4. Push-press 75 pounds (Reps)
    5. Row � calories (Calories)

The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. On call of "rotate," the athlete/s must move to next station immediately for good score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

Quote Originally Posted by clawhammer_33
    Try this from www.crossfit.com is used by a lot of fighters, its one hell of a workout.

Fight Gone Bad

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. We�ve used this in 3 and 5 round versions. The stations are:

1. Wall-ball � 20 pound ball, 8 ft target. (Reps)
    2. Deadlift high-pull 75 pounds (Reps)
    3. Box Jump � 20" box (Reps)
    4. Push-press 75 pounds (Reps)
    5. Row � calories (Calories)

The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. On call of "rotate," the athlete/s must move to next station immediately for good score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.
    ^^For a fight?

Shadowbox, bagwork, focus mitts, rope-skipping, and light sparring. Jog in the morning, HIIT at night. Train several times a week, get plenty of sleep, and make sure you'll make weight. You'll be fine.

Running up bleachers helped me for wrestling conditioning alot. Add that in with your running maybe
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Wannabebig Member
    --Spar with people better than you..And for more than 3 rounds.. aim for around 4-5

--As far as fitness goes, build stamina because to tell you the truth, when you first fight, they pin you up to someone with about the same ability and experience that you have..Then after like 10 fights it's a whole different experience.. atleast that is how it is when i was training..anyways... Train for stamina without sacrificing weight and dropping too much poundage where you feel tired.. etc =/ work your ass off for 5 weeks is what im pretty much saying..

--The last week before your fight, turn your training down because for the past 5 weeks you pushed yourself hard. The last couple days before the fight your nerves will be getting to you and you will be feeling agitated, and just think to yourself "train hard, win easy" is what my trainer used to say...

keep thinking that before your fight and you will be so pumped that your ego just goes through the roof.. great rush.. =D

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    ^^For a fight?

Shadowbox, bagwork, focus mitts, rope-skipping, and light sparring. Jog in the morning, HIIT at night. Train several times a week, get plenty of sleep, and make sure you'll make weight. You'll be fine.
    I agree with him up to where he said "light sparring" Think of it this way...

Bagwork..Shadowboxing...Glove work..moving around the ring is all good when it comes to getting the feel of the ring and conditioning, but does the bag punch back??? No.. it's a whole different world when you get in the ring, and the guy is throwing kicks, and punches...I STRESS ON EXTENSIVE SPARRING.. make it a good sparring session and don't play games.

And it's only amateur anyways.. you're fighting for fun, love of the sport

and i always say to myself, a loss just shows you your weaknesses, and helps you improve yourself.
    Last edited by BJJfighter; 10-08-2006 at 02:33 AM.

When a fight's coming up though, you don't want to go balls to the wall every session. You risk more injury that way. I probably should have said alternate heavy and light sparring. The worst is when you're two weeks out from a fight and get a good gash on your head or an injury from sparring too hard.

Um shouldn't your coach or instructor have taught you this by now if you have a fight coming up?

If you don't know how to train for a fight, then perhaps you are not ready for a fight.

Unless this is some schoolyard brawl.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

meet me at the flagpole......in 6 weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

It's an interclub tournement, where they have the top 20 students from each school fight... considering there is only 25 in ours I don't feel too privilidged :P I am yellow belt, soon to be orange... been training 4 months.

Any way, basically I didn't want advice saying stupid things like "You should know" why even bother replying? I am currently doing a lot of running and cardio, with an hour a days worth of bag work, 30 minutes a day of sparring, Eating well.

I was just looking for advice off more experienced fighters as to what they do top prepare for a fight. Thanks to 8/10 people who have replyed in a helpful and not bitchy manner, appriciated and any more advice, please add ^^

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reala
    I am currently doing a lot of running and cardio, with an hour a days worth of bag work, 30 minutes a day of sparring, Eating well.
    ^^

You are pretty much a pro

goodluck training...!

It's an interclub tournement, where they have the top 20 students from each school fight... considering there is only 25 in ours I don't feel too privilidged :P I am yellow belt, soon to be orange... been training 4 months.

Any way, basically I didn't want advice saying stupid things like "You should know" why even bother replying? I am currently doing a lot of running and cardio, with an hour a days worth of bag work, 30 minutes a day of sparring, Eating well.

I was just looking for advice off more experienced fighters as to what they do top prepare for a fight. Thanks to 8/10 people who have replyed in a helpful and not bitchy manner, appriciated and any more advice, please add ^^

When i used to do Boxing and Kickboxing, i went into my second tournament fairly nervous.. I trained with a guy that was predominantly a grappler. We sparred with the gloves, but if we clinched we would grapple, and he would even shoot to take me down etc..
    For me, this was the beginning of a whole new training style, and i entered the world of BJJ, Grappling and then MMA.
    You will be very surprised at the level of confidence you gain by knowing that you are a much more rounded fighter.. Not only that, but when your in a boxing clinch, you will likely have the upper hand on your opponent given that your clinching ability will be more effective than his. I found i was easily getting the advantage in the clinch, and able to land effective blows, and it was also less exhaustive for me than him.

With 6 weeks to go, i would do at least another 2 - 3 weeks of hardcore traing with full contact sparring. I would jog every day, and do circuit traing aswell. With 3 of 4 weeks left, i would tone it down, but increase the cardio work, until a week before hand..

Good luck mate, let us know how you go..

Quote Originally Posted by McVein
    meet me at the flagpole......in 6 weeks

ROFL!!!

Funny you say that actually Immortal, I train with a Jujitzu / MMa guy on a Sunday afternoon... we train throws, takedowns and thai clinch (with your hands locked behind the head) as well as the traditional clinch holding the elbows. . I do enjoy it, although I suck at breakfalls... but I am pretty flexible / have strong joints so I don't get hurt much anyway... however he did tell me in a few weeks he wants to practice slams... we will see how tough I am then I guess ='( lol.

Thanks for all the advice. How far would you suggest I jog and for how long, what kind of curcuit would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    ^^For a fight?

To improve conditioning with functiional movements.

I don't think a fight has a lot of jogging/running. Fight Gone Bad incorporates varying functional movements closer to that of a fight.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

I don't think a fight has a lot of jogging/running. Fight Gone Bad incorporates varying functional movements closer to that of a fight.
    Not sure what you mean here... The only running you will actually do in a fight is if you are faced with an angry foe weilding a sword..>> outnumber
    The jogging is for cardio, and does tend to help your footwork. Skipping is great for coordination and footwork, and with 2 mins of double and triple skips, a fantastic cardio session.

Thanks for all the advice. How far would you suggest I jog and for how long, what kind of curcuit would you do?
    Well, there are hundreds of different circuits you can do, and i would hope that your coach has taken you through circuit training already..
    I have no idea how far you should run mate, depends on your level really. Maybe a half hour jog, and bring it home near the end..
    To be honest though, at this point, sparring is your best freind. The more confident you feel, the better you will be. Same goes for fitness.
    I would really recommend talking to your coach about it, otherwise your not really getting your moneys worth...
    GL

Spose, I been using Bas Rutten's (the Man) MMA training tapes, pretty hard work, but awesome. you start week 1 doing 3 x 2 minute rounds, and by week 6 should b at 6 x 3 minute rounds. Pretty hard work out, but I am feeling the benefits (and the pain!). It's basically very hard cardio... which is what I need I think. I do about 30 minutes sparring 4 days a week Love it... although I need kickboxing boots because right now I can't spar kicks with power, just light >.<

What exactly are you looking to improve?

Your strength?

Your conditioning?

Your skill?

This might be different if you had more time or you had different strengths/weaknesses ... but for now I think conditioning should be your top priority. Skill training should be number two. And if you have time, add a little bit of strength training.

How many times per week are you skill training? How long is each session? Try to keep at least one full rest day per week, so depending on your skill training, add 1-3 pure conditioning sessions per week. Fight Gone Bad is a great place to start (as are most examples at crossfit). Jogging is not.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I don't think it has a lot of that other stuff either. He should be spending most of his time working on fighting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    What exactly are you looking to improve?

Your strength?

Your conditioning?

Your skill?

This might be different if you had more time or you had different strengths/weaknesses ... but for now I think conditioning should be your top priority. Skill training should be number two. And if you have time, add a little bit of strength training.

How many times per week are you skill training? How long is each session? Try to keep at least one full rest day per week, so depending on your skill training, add 1-3 pure conditioning sessions per week. Fight Gone Bad is a great place to start (as are most examples at crossfit). Jogging is not.
    Anthony.. I've read your journal, so i know your an animal. I wish i had the commitment that you do, you do what i always wanted to do.. Anyway, i dont want to get into an opposing debate with you, but could you tell me why you think Jogging is not a good idea?
    The OP sounds as though he has fairly limited resources, and may not be getting alot from his coach. So i think jogging and circuit training are his best bet. Followed very closely by sparring. Remembering this is his first fight, and IMO cardio and confidence (coming from sparring experience) are what will help him the most. provided of course that his opponent is fairly similar in skill.

I am spending around an hour a day 4 days a week on my cardio, this consists of my tapes which basically shout out "Jab, Cross, Hook" etc, etc, for about 6 x 3 minute rounds, then 40 minutes of press ups, running, sit ups, jumping, shadow boxing, that kind of thing.

I have 2 hours kickboxing lessons 3 days a week, which breaks down into:
    1 hour MMA
    1 hour sparring (With blackblets)
    2 hours cardio / stretching
    1 hour Pad work
    1 hour Line work

and another 2 days I tend to go down and do my own thing, a bit of light bag work and maybe some light sparring (mainly talking with instructors) but working out a little whilst I do it.

Last week I did this, probably do the same again:

Saturday: Cardio Workout (1 hour),
    Sunday: Kick Boxing Lesson (2 hours), Cardio Workout (1 hour)
    Monday: Cardio Workout (1 hour), own technique (1 hour)
    Tuesday: Kick Boxing Lesson (2 hours),
    Wednesday: Cardio Workout (1 hour), own technique (1 hour)
    Thursday: Kick Boxing Lesson (2 hours),
    Friday: Rest Day

It is all about breathing patterns. Fighters don't use moderate levels of energy for about half an hour and then rest, they use extremely high bursts of energy for 2 minutes (in my case) rest for 30 seconds, 2 minutes exteremely high energy and rest for 30 seconds, 2 minutes of extremely high energy and rest.

Listening to Bas Ruttens tape the other day, and he said he had a marathon runner in one of his classes and after 30 minutes he dropped out and his class wondered why, it was because his breathing pattern was moderate but constant, where as a fighters is high with breaks and bursts... so you need quick recovery and explosivness.

I am no expert, but that's what I picked up. That's why I do my tapes, they go very fast and work me exactly how I would be worked in a fight so will enhance my body for that purpose. However, I am going to do some jogging, it is good for all round fitness and obviously good for general cardio.

I just want to know what I can add to my current workout to improve me for a fight... I think I have the cardio base covered, technique in my lessons, so maybe I need to work on my strength & plyometrics?

Isn't crossfit like Crazy Non Stop stuff? I hate that kind of stuff... weights bore the heck out of me, although if that's what I gotta do, that's what I gotta do I guess... Is this crossfit program free or do you have to pay a memership / joining fee?
    Last edited by Reala; 10-10-2006 at 08:17 AM.

I am spending around an hour a day 4 days a week on my cardio, this consists of my tapes which basically shout out "Jab, Cross, Hook" etc, etc, for about 6 x 3 minute rounds, then 40 minutes of press ups, running, sit ups, jumping, shadow boxing, that kind of thing.

I have 2 hours kickboxing lessons 3 days a week, which breaks down into:
    1 hour MMA
    1 hour sparring (With blackblets)
    2 hours cardio / stretching
    1 hour Pad work
    1 hour Line work

and another 2 days I tend to go down and do my own thing, a bit of light bag work and maybe some light sparring (mainly talking with instructors) but working out a little whilst I do it.

Last week I did this, probably do the same again:

Saturday: Cardio Workout (1 hour),
    Sunday: Kick Boxing Lesson (2 hours), Cardio Workout (1 hour)
    Monday: Cardio Workout (1 hour), own technique (1 hour)
    Tuesday: Kick Boxing Lesson (2 hours),
    Wednesday: Cardio Workout (1 hour), own technique (1 hour)
    Thursday: Kick Boxing Lesson (2 hours),
    Friday: Rest Day
    Aggh, now im getting a picture.. i was under the impression that you were somewhat new to the sport, and that you werent actually doing a great deal of training.... With a routine like that, i really cant see you running into any dramas. Make sure your diet is good..

Don't let my journal stop you from starting a debate, hahah!

Anyway, the reason why I don't recommend jogging is because it only uses one energy pathway (oxidative) and that pathway is rarely used in combat sport.

Now if you said "sprinting intervals" then I would say that's an excellent tool to prepare for a fight.
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-10-2006 at 08:03 AM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Don't let my journal stop you from starting a debate, hahah!

Anyway, the reason why I don't recommend jogging is because it only uses one energy pathway (oxidative) and that pathway is rarely used in combat sport.

Now if you said "sprinting intervals" then I would say that's an excellent tool to prepare for a fight.

"Oxidative" you say.... Interesting actually, i will Google tomorrow but could you give me a "quick" rundown of what it is in regards to jogging..
    Cheers mate..