The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

how long should you stick with a routine

ive been doing wbb1 for the last 2 months. From it i have seen decent results9 pound gain. at this point, do you think i can still see great gains keeping with this routine or should i switch to wbb2, in other words, how long should you stick with the same routine?
    CONSISTANT EFFORT is more important than any formula for success

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Two months isn't enough time. Stick with a routine until it's no longer working (ie. you've been at a plateau for a while and you need something new to get through it). In my opinion, bouncing from routine to routine is never really a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer
    Two months isn't enough time. Stick with a routine until it's no longer working (ie. you've been at a plateau for a while and you need something new to get through it). In my opinion, bouncing from routine to routine is never really a good idea.
    I agree. Dont rush to move to a next routine until your sure your not making any more gains. But at the same time, make sure your eating enough to push those gains further. If your not eating enough, and you all of a sudden realize you've hit a plateau with WBB #1, then there is most likely nothing wrong with the routine.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Put more simply: Until it stops working.

do a program till u are no longer progressing.

think its simple? NO! there are MANY MANY factors making up progress. diet and sleep. once u have exhausted ALL ur resources only then should u change programs.

this cannot be done in merely 8 weeks.

i disagree with everyone else on this. has anyone heard of preiodization???????????? you have to chage your routine to shock your system otherwise you body and you will get bored with the routine. i believe you should know how may weeks you are goin to do a routine before you even do the first day, i alway know my percentages and sets and reps for my whole cycle before i do the first day

sacrifice is key
    i agree dont do a workout for another 2 weeks after you stop getting size/strength results from it. you should have your sleep and diet down by the 8th week of a routine and know how it feels to be exhausted from it. i have hit plateau's as early as 6 weeks and sometimes i make up routines for only 3 weeks to throw in for the simple purpose to shock my system and stimulate growth

i was talking to me body last nite....sat down and had a pint..i said haha i bet you werent ready for dumbbell side laterals were you?

it replied "haha your still doing dumbbell side laterals?"

UGH!!!!! :O

personally, i change eversizes almost every time i lift and the results are good, it depends on the person i guess, i like to change every 4-6 week split wise but exersizes like i said almost all the time.
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 10-08-2006 at 09:13 AM.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by 8.8
    i disagree with everyone else on this. has anyone heard of preiodization???????????? you have to chage your routine to shock your system otherwise you body and you will get bored with the routine. i believe you should know how may weeks you are goin to do a routine before you even do the first day, i alway know my percentages and sets and reps for my whole cycle before i do the first day
    Periodization is not just good, but probably necessary as you become a more advanced lifter, but if you're still new to the game or you haven't reached that advanced level, it's isn't needed. A newbie can probably keep growing on the same basic routine for 8-12 months (depending on a number of factors of course).

everyone doesnt need to periodize. these days even PL'ers dont periodize. they have deloads. of course ppl do take "breaks" but u are referring to periodization.

u also mentioned "shocking the body". the idea is not to shock the body but to make it grow. u do not need periodization to shocl the body. ever done DC Training? shocks the body plenty. ever done 5x5? shocks the body as well. but the idea is to focus on making it grow - not "shocking" it. if u seriously want to shock ur body all u have to do is a new program per week. ur body will keep guessing, right? no.

u mentioned the need for periodization so im gonna try my best to explain the need to. periodization is a plan. true. but its focus is on optimal muscle growth for a specific period of weeks. if u look at Fortified Iron's program u will see "periodization". HST = periodization. but in the end all of these are PROGRAMS which have periodization in them. u are referring to jumping around programs. that is not periodization. that is jumping around programs.

once u are on a program which has planned periodization (linear OR undulating like westside) u need not change from it till ur gains have become completely static. and once u have tried altering all the variables involved in myscle growth and yet ur gains are statin only then should u ideally shift. this is ofcourse the "ideal" way to "cycle" programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel
    do a program till u are no longer progressing.

think its simple? NO! there are MANY MANY factors making up progress. diet and sleep. once u have exhausted ALL ur resources only then should u change programs.

this cannot be done in merely 8 weeks.
    Exactly. How can you really know your program isn't working anymore when you dont have everything dialed in. When you get to the point when you are eating enough, sleeping enough, and considering every other factor that affects progress, then you should think about changing it up.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by World-Is-Yours
    Exactly. How can you really know your program isn't working anymore when you dont have everything dialed in. When you get to the point when you are eating enough, sleeping enough, and considering every other factor that affects progress, then you should think about changing it up.
    true. but even then u dont necessarily need to change it. sometimes a simple deload or a week off might work too. and sometimes u just need to change the setxreps, etc. the need to change a program should be LAST on ur list. changing all the factors favouring muscle growth is what u should focus on.

(lets not forget im an 18 year old kid now )

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel
    true. but even then u dont necessarily need to change it. sometimes a simple deload or a week off might work too. and sometimes u just need to change the setxreps, etc. the need to change a program should be LAST on ur list. changing all the factors favouring muscle growth is what u should focus on.

(lets not forget im an 18 year old kid now )
    haha Oh I thought you were the hot supermodel in your pic.

Banned
    Why would you change a routine if it's still working for you? I understand periodization, but I also adhere to common sense: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    Why would you change a routine if it's still working for you? I understand periodization, but I also adhere to common sense: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    golden words