Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLIQUIN's Top 10 Arm Training Exercises

POLIQUIN's Top 10 Arm Training Exercises

This list is taken from strength training coach Charles Poliquin's new book called "Winning the Arms Race."

Triceps...
    California Presses
    Dips
    Decline Dumbbell Triceps Ext.
    Ten-Degree Decline Close-Grip
    Seated Half Presses In Power Rack

Biceps...
    One-Arm Dumbbell Scott-Zottman Curls
    Paused, Standing, Mid-Reverse Grip EZ-Bar Curls
    Seated Dumbbell Zottman Curls
    Seated, Offset-Grip Dumbbell Curls
    Close-Grip Barbell Scott Curls

Last edited by MonStar1023; 02-05-2002 at 01:38 PM.

And does he expect you to do them all in the same session?

what is a california press?

and a zottman curl?

and a scott curl for that matter?
    Last edited by Tryska; 02-05-2002 at 01:45 PM.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

some exercises that he made up.

Well a scott/zottman curl is just another name for a preacher curl, and, from what i understand, a california press is like a closed grip bench press but your elbows go down towards your hips instead of out.

Originally posted by RG570
    a california press is like a closed grip bench press but your elbows go down towards your hips instead of out.
    like a skull crusher?

California Press...
    Your starting weight will be somewhere between what you can lift on close-grip bench presses and on lying triceps extensions. Grasp the bar with a 14-inch grip. From a supine position on a flat bench, lift the barbell off the rack and hold it at arm's length. Lower the barbell to your upper chest by bringing your elbows down and forward as you lower the bar.

Seated Dumbbell Zottman Curls...
    Grasp two dumbbells and sit at the edge of a flat bench, or better yet, one that supports your back and allows you to lock your feet into place. With arms fully extended downward and dumbbells in the bottom position, palms should face forward. To prevent recruitment of forearm flexors during the concentric phase, curl the dumbbells with palms up and wrists cocked back. At the top (forearms in contact with biceps), pronate your forearms (rotate hands so palms face away from you). At the same time, straighten your wrists. From this point, the exercise is identical to the eccentric portion of a reverse dumbbell curl. Keeping wrists in a neutral position with palms facing away, lower the dumbbells in a controlled manner. Keep your elbows glued to your sides throughout. If your elbows flare out, your brachialis muscles are weak in relation to your biceps brachii. Decrease the weight so you can do the exercise correctly.

Scott curls are preacher curls.

very similar, except instead of the elbows staying above the body,
    at the bottom of the movement, your elbows are just outside the obliques, IMO it works delts just as much as triceps

Originally posted by RG570
    Well a scott/zottman curl is just another name for a preacher curl, and, from what i understand, a california press is like a closed grip bench press but your elbows go down towards your hips instead of out.
    Nope.

In a Zottman curl is a seated DB curl in which you relax you hand so that it forms a 45 degree angle with your forearm. When your in the fully contracted position at the top, supinate your wrists and continue as you would if you were performin the eccentric portion of a reverse DB curl.

California press is basically the eccentric portion of a skull-crusher, with the concentric of a close-grip bench press. More or less anyway.

i've still got this funky bicep curl i'm trying to figure out the name for.....wonder if y'all have any ideas:

you start off at the bottom holding dumbbells like you would a hammer curl, but then instead of bringing them up like a traditional hammer curl, you angle your arm and bring them across your body, like you were marching.

any ideas what this is called?

Im such an idiot oh well, at least i was right about the scott curls

I think Poliquin is nothing to get excited about. Anything I have ever read of his smacked of the usual to me. Note to anyone out there, the fact that he has supposedly "trained" some big dudes means **** to me. Anyone, ok, almost anyone can get real big if they take enough steroids and other drugs, regardless of the routine they may follow (Milos Sarcev comes to mind here).

Originally posted by Tryska
    i've still got this funky bicep curl i'm trying to figure out the name for.....wonder if y'all have any ideas:

you start off at the bottom holding dumbbells like you would a hammer curl, but then instead of bringing them up like a traditional hammer curl, you angle your arm and bring them across your body, like you were marching.

A waste of time in the gym (no offense to you Tryska, I have seen many a trainee use this exercise over the years, and if it worked for them, you couldn't tell by looking at them.)

MBC (Marching Band Curl) j/k

Didnt Arnold do those??
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

THe Roman Curl?

Or the Mussolini Curl--that has a nice ring to it.

baha. marching band curl. i might just have to note it as such in my journal then.

i tried em once a couple weeks ago chris, not something i would use on a consistent basis, but it certainly felt like it works my full bicep and my forearm too. nice for a switchup, i think, but not something i would incorporate every bicep routine.

so it doesn't have a real name?

hee hee...praetorian curl.

Originally posted by chris mason
    I think Poliquin is nothing to get excited about. Anything I have ever read of his smacked of the usual to me. Note to anyone out there, the fact that he has supposedly "trained" some big dudes means **** to me. Anyone, ok, almost anyone can get real big if they take enough steroids and other drugs, regardless of the routine they may follow (Milos Sarcev comes to mind here).
    I don't think he's quite the training genius he, and a few others, make him out to be. But he has a wealth of interesting training concepts. And it's hard to argue with his track record. I've lost count of how many Olympic gold medalists and the like he's trained.

But now and again he backs some monumentally(IMO) stupid ideas. Bench pressing on a stability ball? No thank you.

decease, RIP

I have seen a simular exercise done in the cable cross, with both hands at the same time. almost like a standing dumbbell BP or something. Its rather strange, I cant even figure out what muscle its suppose to target. The thing is everyone at the gym are doing them. Its not like the one the looks like a standing flyes(not sure what thats called either)

Originally posted by chris mason

A waste of time in the gym
    Hahaha-- dude, have you started smoking up or something? You've mellowed out to the point that I've actually seen two funny comments from you in two threads!
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I've always been bothered by this.

What, exactly, makes Charles Poliquin the expert he is?

Thorazine

The Shoulder Impingement Curl

bah!

y'all don't know everything!

btw delphi....wanna bet? i'm pretty fast at reinstalling windaz myself.

Thorazine-
    Hes just a reputable strength training coach thats all. I have never actually seen his crudentials however everyone practically go crazy over the things he says.

chris mason -
    I did not understand what you meant by naming Milos Sarcev, Milos is a very big dude , not being big like Ronnie or Ruhl does nt mean has has not good genes, others have superior. I don't think that his use of steroids can take away his merits..........anyway