Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dips vs Bench Dips

Dips vs Bench Dips

Supsup chaps, quick Q - Are there any significant differences between dips + bench dips, in terms of strength/muscle building? Normally i bench dip with 5kg on my lap, but when i tried out the dip station i nearly had apoplexy. If dips in general terms are better, then I also take it this is why they are harder?

-Steele

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    Supsup chaps, quick Q - Are there any significant differences between dips + bench dips, in terms of strength/muscle building? Normally i bench dip with 5kg on my lap, but when i tried out the dip station i nearly had apoplexy. If dips in general terms are better, then I also take it this is why they are harder?

-Steele
    If bench Dips are what i think they are, then they are mostly an excercise for tris and maybe rear delts. I would also say that its more of a beginners excercise. Although I have never done weighted "bench dips" so i cant really say if they are good or bad, but i think there are much better Tricep excercises around..

Care to name a few compound ones?

Thanks,
    -Steele

C'mon chaps, i'm out on a limb here! Closest i can see is narrow grip bench, but that would mean including it on the same day as my incline bench. Thoughts?

-Steele

Just do the regular dips. They are like chins...keep doin' 'em 'til you can do 'em.

Other tricep exercises: close grip presses, skull crushers and kickbacks.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    and kickbacks.
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Just do the regular dips. They are like chins...keep doin' 'em 'til you can do 'em.
    Or even better, add weight.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

On the bench dips?

-Steele

No, regular dips.

Will doing weighted bench dips help me to do dips?

-Steele

Are you curling your legs up under you when you do dips? The could cause you to lean forward too much and use a lot of pectoral muscle, instead of tris. Keep your elbows behind you (not flared out to the sides) to help minimize how much the pecs assist. In bench dips, the bench pretty much forces this posture.
    Last edited by Teufelhund; 10-10-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Doing bench dips hurts my shoulders.

whats wrong with kickbacks?

Nothing's RIGHT with kickbacks. They're basically good for fanning air around.

I do between-bench dips because my rotator cuff won't let me do regular ones. I do 'em weighted, usually two or sometimes three plates on my lap. They work great for tris.

I'll stick to em then

-Steele

Quote Originally Posted by Built

I do between-bench dips because my rotator cuff won't let me do regular ones. I do 'em weighted, usually two or sometimes three plates on my lap. They work great for tris.

Quote Originally Posted by Built

Yeah I agree with you Built. I am up to 5 x 45s on me and I can barely push out 8 reps. But the result is definitely apparant.

Once you get up to five plates don't they become a little hard to balance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    Once you get up to five plates don't they become a little hard to balance?
    Wrap em up in a towel.. that's what I do!

I prefer regular dips (with a belt and weights hanging off the belt using a chain)....

I can only use 2-35lb plates at the moment (3 sets of 8)... Then I'm dead..LOL... (I now weigh 226 lbs, so theres some weight..LOL)...

Peace out...

do bench dips do your chest? thanks sam
    Last edited by samj; 10-11-2006 at 12:53 PM.

anybody?

they do triceps

i know they do triceps but do they do chest atall? trying to find more chest excersies because i cant do dips

I doubt they have any effect on chest at all.

Why can't you do dips?

Also, you don't need a huge amount of chest exercises. Flat and incline, barbell and dumbell presses should be fine. If you must, you can do flys etc too.

Bench dips should be harder on the shoulder, although several people here have already commented to the contrary.

I think you have to be especially careful about the range of motion with bench dips because of the position that putting your feet foward puts you in.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/