The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

What's beyond a being a certified personal trainer?

Hi everyone, I just got certified as a NASM personal trainer ahwile ago. So far it's been great, I've earned a good amount of money doing this so far, But I was just wandering if anybody know of any more advanced certifications I could get in a realted field where I can earn more money doing than being a personal trainer?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm in the same boat as you.

My plan to get my C.S.C.S and keep improving my knowledge base.

You could also get your masters in Exercise Phys ect.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Do that voodoo that he do
    You could work as a strength coach for a high school, college, or pro team. Realistically you will make more as a (good) personal trainer than an employed S&C coach until you become a head coach at a big school or pro team.

You can also go the private strength/performance coach route, which I'm doing. I'd recommend working at the university level for a while first, though.

Assuming you want to stay in the performance field, get a Master's (eventually) and a CSCS (as soon as possible).

If you want to make boatloads of cash, learn how to be a financially successful personal trainer, perhaps (or perhaps not) owning your own facility.

Another option is to go into Physical Therapy, which will require more schooling but will open your employment doors up substantially.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    physiotherapy, it will take you alot more time to achieve but the money is absolutely great.

Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    You could work as a strength coach for a high school, college, or pro team. Realistically you will make more as a (good) personal trainer than an employed S&C coach until you become a head coach at a big school or pro team.

You can also go the private strength/performance coach route, which I'm doing. I'd recommend working at the university level for a while first, though.

Assuming you want to stay in the performance field, get a Master's (eventually) and a CSCS (as soon as possible).

If you want to make boatloads of cash, learn how to be a financially successful personal trainer, perhaps (or perhaps not) owning your own facility.
    That right there is actually my plan.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--

Go to Colorado and get a USAW coaching cert. Combine it with a ski vacation.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

this is what i want to do when i am older, ill be following this thread! i hear nutrition classes are a joke though?
    2000 or bust

Ok, almost ready.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Sports Specific training is pretty popular right now and working more in that field might be something you're interested in.... something like this

http://www.frappieracceleration.com/index.cfm
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

How hard or easy is it to get the NASM? or other certs?
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

id say ACE is probably the easiest along with ISSA, NASM tougher and NSCA is one of the toughest to get. You can basically go by price... the more expensive cert to get, the better it is
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

Since were on this topic...For someone who is living in Canada, how would I go upon getting certified? Could I find a company by simply opening up the phone book, for ex?
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Banned
    can you elaborate a little?

Sure, although I'm not sure exactly what you want me to elaborate on.

I work as a general personal trainer and a performance coach. I'm working my clientel towards exclusively (or almost so) athletes looking to improve their abilities for their sport. I help them get bigger/smaller, run faster, hit harder, etc.

It would be a good idea for a new trainer to try to do an internship (at least) or work professionally with a university or higher in the strength and conditioning department. One would learn a lot about training athletes there, as opposed to picking up one or two at a big gym.

-galileo

Banned
    Sure, although I'm not sure exactly what you want me to elaborate on.

I work as a general personal trainer and a performance coach. I'm working my clientel towards exclusively (or almost so) athletes looking to improve their abilities for their sport. I help them get bigger/smaller, run faster, hit harder, etc.

It would be a good idea for a new trainer to try to do an internship (at least) or work professionally with a university or higher in the strength and conditioning department. One would learn a lot about training athletes there, as opposed to picking up one or two at a big gym.
    im currently majoring in exercise science, and intend on going to grad school, i was just unsure as to what your job was exactly. your job = my dream job .

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    this is what i want to do when i am older, ill be following this thread! i hear nutrition classes are a joke though?
    Are they a joke? Generally speaking yes. But most of those classes are about the averag joe smo. They dont teach nutrition for strength atheletes etc.

I did take a Sports nutrition class that was pretty interesting.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...

ah i see a PT at the YMCA i go to told me i figured this, but sports nutrition sounds pretty good
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus96
    im currently majoring in exercise science, and intend on going to grad school, i was just unsure as to what your job was exactly. your job = my dream job .
    Well, I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.

My background is in several threads on this site, but if it matters I have a Master's in Exercise Phys and I have a CSCS and NSCA-CPT.

-galileo

Banned
    how hard was it to establish your own business, and who pays you, the school or the athletes?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus96
    how hard was it to establish your own business, and who pays you, the school or the athletes?
    I'm currently in the process of establishing my own business, so I'm still employed by the gym I work at now. When I have my own business the athletes will pay me. Currently I'm paid by the gym I work for.

If you're a strength coach for a school you'll be the employee of that school. The only exception would be if you end up working with a small college or high school that doesn't have a S&C department and you end up getting paid on a contract basis as a consultant.

-galileo