The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Stretching between Bicep curls...

Anyone see a problem with this? Please discuss..
    Between sets of curls, my bi's burn and demand to be stretched! It feels better when i do, and it also decreases my set recovery time.
    Good or bad?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good.

I used to do that a lot, too, but I have heard from more than one source that stretching reduces the strength of the targeted muscle, albeit by a very small amount, so i don't do it as much nemore. Probably b those that will disagree but thats jus me
    age---------22
    weight------140 145 150 155 160 165 170 and counting
    height------ 5'9"

Bench 225x1 | Squat 325x1 | Deadlift 355x5
    My Journal

Remember - if it were easy then everyone would do it.

Yah I hardly stetch in between sets. Only to loosen up my lats, or if my targeted muscle feels extremely tight.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

I was taught in my Kinesiology class that you shouldn't stretch statically right before activity.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Wait until you've finished your sets to stretch. A stretched muscle is weaker than a tight muscle.

An extremely stretched muscle can be dangerous to lift with if you're not careful. Same principal that very flexible people are more likely to injure their joints b/c there's nothing to keep stress off the joint if the muscle is relaxed or stretched too much.
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

Banned
    manfred Hoeberl preached about stretching between sets, and he had the biggest arms in the world!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Westsidemonster
    manfred Hoeberl preached about stretching between sets, and he had the biggest arms in the world!

I'd be willing to bet a year's pay that steroids had more to do with the size of his arms than stretching ever did.

Hmmm, mixed debate really..
    Im aware of the potentially negative results of stretching pre workout etc.. hence the question to start with. What i dont get, is why my Biceps seem to burn for the stretch sooo badly. No other part wants to be stretched between sets like my they do.

I'm the same way everytime. Warm-up. Workout. Stretch.

I don't stretch before, I don't warm-up after.

YEah, use your stretch as a cool down unless you are tensing up so much you cannot move. Shake out your arm if the burning is bothering you, that is just a buildup of lactic acid and shaking will do more then stretching for it anyways.
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Methinks you do too many curls!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

As it's been said, stretching is good for only after the workout. Proper stretching of a muscle after a workout can help make gains as much as 20% more than just the weight training alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    Proper stretching of a muscle after a workout can help make gains as much as 20% more than just the weight training alone.
    Do you have anything to support that claim? I'd be interested in reading the study.

EDIT: I'm not trying to bust your balls, I'm genuinely interested.
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 10-10-2006 at 10:00 AM.

Gamer/Lifter
    Me Agree
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    Do you have anything to support that claim? I'd be interested in reading the study.

EDIT: I'm not trying to bust your balls, I'm genuinely interested.
    No problem. A guy I know by the name of Jason Winch is doing a lot of research into how stretching affects performance, among other areas. He has a paper out which I don't have the direct link to yet, but it's called Chronic post-exercise stretching improves strength greater than resistance training alone. The gist of it is basically by doing static stretches focused on the areas you trained that day, you not only increase recovery but can increase myofibrillar hypertrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    Me?
    Actually heres the thing... My arms get freaky big compared to the rest of me, so i really have to limit the work i do on them. I only do 3 sets of curls with chest, and maybe another Bis ex and thats it...

Quote Originally Posted by 1mmort4l
    Me?
    Actually heres the thing... My arms get freaky big compared to the rest of me, so i really have to limit the work i do on them. I only do 3 sets of curls with chest, and maybe another Bis ex and thats it...
    Ah well then... That's good... I guess it just sounded like the kind of thing someone who did a million curls "for the burn" would say. :P

I'd save the stretching until after. Like a few other people mentionned it can sap your strength (or so I've heard).

Quote Originally Posted by jww13
    Same principal that very flexible people are more likely to injure their joints b/c there's nothing to keep stress off the joint if the muscle is relaxed or stretched too much.
    I've never heard that before? Frankly I've always held the belief that the more flexible you are the less chances there are of you injuring yourself.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    I've never heard that before? Frankly I've always held the belief that the more flexible you are the less chances there are of you injuring yourself.
    It depends on what activity you're doing. For instance, if you're going to be running, it's a good idea to stretch beforehand. Being stretched out will give you more mobility which can improve your speed. I'm also under the impression that it helps prevent pulled muscles (which may be the type of injury you're referring to).

But if you're about to lift heavy weights, you're better off stretching AFTER doing so. Of course you should always use controlled movements, which I think is the most important way to prevent injuries.

Imagine how much easy it would be for someone to hyperextend their elbow if it is extremely flexible (to the point it can even go past straight, which I see with a lot of girls). However if someone's bicep is fairly tight, it's much less likely that their arm will extend enough to hyperextend it.

Stretching definitely has its advantages. It just depends on what you're doing. Running, pitching, climbing, etc will all benefit from stretching beforehand.

It seems that flexibility helps protect muscles from injury, but increases the chance of joint injury. I'm not 100% on this, so if anyone has some other info on it I'd be interested to hear it.
    Last edited by jww13; 10-11-2006 at 01:03 AM.
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

That may not be entirely whack - there's a hormone that kicks in during pregnancy - relaxin - that makes women bendier than usual, and we have to be careful with some exercises: because of the potential for joint instability, it may be prudent to eliminate certain exercises (such as lunges) or to perform certain exercises with caution and strict attention to form (such as full range of motion weighted squats). Perhaps that's where the potential for injury comes from in "excessive" (is this possible?) stretching: joint laxity.

Banned
    Stretching is one of the best thing you could do for great arm size!

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    No problem. A guy I know by the name of Jason Winch is doing a lot of research into how stretching affects performance, among other areas. He has a paper out which I don't have the direct link to yet, but it's called Chronic post-exercise stretching improves strength greater than resistance training alone. The gist of it is basically by doing static stretches focused on the areas you trained that day, you not only increase recovery but can increase myofibrillar hypertrophy.
    I love Google. I did a search on "Chronic post-exercise stretching" and got one single result in allllllllllllllllllllll of the internet. This frigg'n thread.

It'd be great if you could hook us up with a link when you have it. Thanks Dinosaur!
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8