The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    375

    what/how the heck did i injure?

    fyi: i havent been lifting for a long time due to a shoulder injury 2 years ago. i finally decided to slowly get back into what i love - working out.

    for the past three weeks, i've just had a casual split. nothing technical or serious. i'm just trying to rehab right now.

    day 1 - back/shoulder/legs
    day 2 - chest/bicep
    day 3 - tri/forearm

    anyway yesterday i was on day 1. my back/shoulder workout went quite well and there were no problems. my strength was increasing and i was enjoying it. then i went to do some leg press. after one set, i decided to get up out of my seat and just walk around like i normally do before the next set. but as i proceeded to get up the machine and stand on the floor, i just felt like some tendons on my spinal chord got tangled up and strained. and from there it was excruciating. my neck is now completely bent at a 30 degree angle to my right. i can't move it at all. i slept for the last 15 hours because it was so painful to do anything standing or sitting. even sleeping was rough.

    today it feels like my entire left neck is inflamed and my top left back is really mangled up. i have no idea what i did wrong. i would understand if i pulled or strained something while working out my back. my back workout was done though... it happened while i was getting off the leg press machine. what do you think i did? what should I do next time to avoid this? i cant even go to my frat meeting today or classes. i can barely walk to the kitchen without intense pain everytime i land my foot on the ground. im straining just to type all this...

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,128
    Go to the doctor. Now.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,548
    Uh yeah. Doctor. That should be a no-brainer...

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    375
    i've strained my back/shoulder/neck before. it seems like a predominant theme for me. when i worked out hardcore a few years back, i strained it at least 3-4 times a year even when i had stretched and warmed up. however, it was never THIS bad and at least it happened during a back workout. actually one time it happened while i was doing skull crushers.

    anyway, i dont believe in going to a doctor everytime something happens. unless i know for a fact that i tore or dislocated something, doctors are useless. plus i cant drive right now because i cant move my neck at all. id probably get into a bigger injury if i get into an accident on the way.

    i applied a lot of ice in the morning and now i just got a hot patch on it. its slightly better but im still in a lot of pain.

  6. #5
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,128
    I don't like to go to a doc for every little thing that happens either. But serisouly, if you're having trouble walking or moving, you should get it checked out.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  7. #6
    HomeYield WillKuenzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    7,770
    No heat for 48 hours. Just ice.

    Keep resting it but get to a doctor ASAP. If you can't move your neck its a little more serious than just needing to warmup more. Find somebody to take you.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    No heat for 48 hours. Just ice.

    Keep resting it but get to a doctor ASAP. If you can't move your neck its a little more serious than just needing to warmup more. Find somebody to take you.
    ill just ice and see how it feels tomorrow. if its the same i might have to go see a dr. if not ill wait it out. i've gone to many doctors (neuro surgeons to orthos to physical therapists, etc) in my life and i cant see an HMO dr actually giving me any advice i dont already know. assuming ive torn my lats or traps, a general doc wouldnt know that. hed have to arrange a meeting with one so i can get an mri. that'll take about a month too for all the hmo approval, etc. hed probably prescribe me a load of painkillers and tell me to get a lot of rest, which is not up to me really...

  9. #8
    Take Two Ruffian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DisneyWorld
    Posts
    743
    Its looking like you manged to slip a disk. First off, your routine looks horrible. you shouldnt have a day specifically for tris and forearms... Look at BGB or WBB 1 for a better split.

    But, leaving htat for the moment. If you slip a disk or your spinal cord goes out of alignment your surrounding muscles will tense in order to compensate. My best guess is you have slipped or pushed your spinal cord out of a alignment on the side your neck is tilting towards. This will cause the muscles on this side to tense up very quickly and severely. DO NOT take anything, DO NOT ice it, use some heat because if it is a slipped disk that will be the only thing that will have an effect on the muscles. Go to a Doc IMMEDIATELY! Ask him to look at it, see what he recomments. I will say after the doc book an appt with a massage therapist and have him look at it. He will be able to give you a good diagnosis of your muscular structure, and tell you if youyr spine is out of alignment. If it is, you can decide where to go from there. I am a huge believer in massage therapy in releasing spinal problems, if you get on to an intensive massage therapy schedual he will be able to release the muscles and in doing so allow the spine to slowly move back into alignment.

    but, see a doc first. it could be much more serious and only he will be able to diagnosis. Dont try to be a man by waiting, a lady at work ended up with a fracture in her spine and she didnt know at all until one day when something similar to this happened. its always better to be safe then really sorry, she could have ended up being a quad. you dont want to end up like that. Be smart.
    Stats:
    Age: 22
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

    Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian
    Its looking like you manged to slip a disk. First off, your routine looks horrible. you shouldnt have a day specifically for tris and forearms... Look at BGB or WBB 1 for a better split.

    But, leaving htat for the moment. If you slip a disk or your spinal cord goes out of alignment your surrounding muscles will tense in order to compensate. My best guess is you have slipped or pushed your spinal cord out of a alignment on the side your neck is tilting towards. This will cause the muscles on this side to tense up very quickly and severely. DO NOT take anything, DO NOT ice it, use some heat because if it is a slipped disk that will be the only thing that will have an effect on the muscles. Go to a Doc IMMEDIATELY! Ask him to look at it, see what he recomments. I will say after the doc book an appt with a massage therapist and have him look at it. He will be able to give you a good diagnosis of your muscular structure, and tell you if youyr spine is out of alignment. If it is, you can decide where to go from there. I am a huge believer in massage therapy in releasing spinal problems, if you get on to an intensive massage therapy schedual he will be able to release the muscles and in doing so allow the spine to slowly move back into alignment.

    but, see a doc first. it could be much more serious and only he will be able to diagnosis. Dont try to be a man by waiting, a lady at work ended up with a fracture in her spine and she didnt know at all until one day when something similar to this happened. its always better to be safe then really sorry, she could have ended up being a quad. you dont want to end up like that. Be smart.
    are u sure this is a slipped disc? could i wait and see if it gets better by tomorrow to determine that? i cant imagine how i couldve slipped a disc getting off a leg press machine... that would really put a damper on my schedule.

    btw: my split is a casual split. im still rehabbing my rotator cuff and torn achilles tendon so im just doing what i can do for now. the third day is really an off day but i said "why not"

  11. #10
    Take Two Ruffian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DisneyWorld
    Posts
    743
    Youcan slip a disk walking down the street... It doesn ttake much, all it takes is walking in a wierd way, moving abnormally. Just having an unevenly tense back can pull a disk out. Im not saying it is but from the sounds of it, it is a spinal issue. Either a slipped disk or else you managed to get your spine severly out of alignment. Either way, i wouldnt wait too long to see a doc. If it is not better by tomorrow go right away, tell him exactly how it felt and he will probably run his fingers down either side of your spine to see if it is straight. like i said, the body will compensate for something like this by tensing up the surrounding muscles, this prevents you from doing further damage. Unfortunately, it also is extremely painful and iwll restrict your motion hugely. MAke sure you drink TONS of water and milk, just in case it is just a muscular contraction gone wrong (calcium deficiency). Either then that, the only possibility is a pulle dmuscle, but the way you described it makes it pretty certain in my mind as a reader that this is a spinal issue.

    Go to the doc. So much better to be on the safe side.
    Stats:
    Age: 22
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

    Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Cmon man.. it sounds serious. I'm a med student but no way am I going to attempt a diagnosis over the internet.

    No disrespect to those who have contributed but you've already had conflicting (but good) advice over whether to ice or not etc. You can't tell if anyone is right or wrong without a doctor giving you an actual physical examination. Go to the doc.. there's nothing more important than your health!!

  13. #12
    Eat Chicken Chris686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy
    anyway, i dont believe in going to a doctor everytime something happens. unless i know for a fact that i tore or dislocated something, doctors are useless. plus i cant drive right now because i cant move my neck at all. id probably get into a bigger injury if i get into an accident on the way.
    Wow...
    This is not just a head cold, bud.
    This is serious. You should go immediately. You don't want to have issues for the rest of your life just because you let your pride get in the way.

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    375
    thx guys for caring about my health. after hours of icing/heating back to back, i've sorta loosened up the stiffness in my neck. it's still bent but it's slightly better. the spine is still very tense and sensitive, but then again my arm cant reach that far for the icing. i'll see if i can continue to improve my condition in general. hopefully i'm feeling much better tomorrow. if not, ill definitely see a dr.

    its not about pride at all. its really about time and resources. i have no way of getting to the dr right now (i just moved to san diego and dont know anyone to drive me), plus i got a job and classes. but if the pain persists, obviously i have no choice. ill take a bus or call a taxi, whatever i gotta do. again thx guys. i really appreciate it.

  15. #14
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3
    I would go to the doctor or maybe a chiropractor and massage therapist. I never go to a doctor either but this last time, something didnt feel right and sure enough I seperated my shoulder and did a nearly full tear of my rotator cuff.

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by yooformula
    I would go to the doctor or maybe a chiropractor and massage therapist. I never go to a doctor either but this last time, something didnt feel right and sure enough I seperated my shoulder and did a nearly full tear of my rotator cuff.
    wow how did you end up doing that?

    update: im feeling a LOT better today. yesterday i couldnt even get in bed or out of bed without severe pain. it was literally a 5 minute ordeal trying to withstand the pain and forcing myself up. its still painful today but i could actually put on a shirt without being on the verge of tears. yesterday my neck was bent at a 30 degree angle. today its bent at a 45 degree angle. im hoping this condition gets much better. i dont think i need to see a doctor anytime soon. i do however plan on seeing a chiropractor in the future because i got a really bad back in general. its probably why i get injured there so often.

  17. #16
    Senior Member MantiXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    156
    Buddy, if you STILL cant straighten out your neck.. GO SEE SOMEONE... I dont care if its an MD, a Chiropractor, A chinese bone setter or a Massage therapist... But you GOTTA go see someone...

    THATS NOT NORMAL... I've had major muscle pulls in my neck over the years, and its only been a day or 2 and I'm back moving it around (stiffly and sorely) but still moving it around... If your nec is stuck at a certain angle, it's may be something bad.. GET IT CHECKED OUT....

    'rant off'...

    Peace out...

  18. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,548
    Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy
    wow how did you end up doing that?

    update: im feeling a LOT better today. yesterday i couldnt even get in bed or out of bed without severe pain. it was literally a 5 minute ordeal trying to withstand the pain and forcing myself up. its still painful today but i could actually put on a shirt without being on the verge of tears. yesterday my neck was bent at a 30 degree angle. today its bent at a 45 degree angle. im hoping this condition gets much better. i dont think i need to see a doctor anytime soon. i do however plan on seeing a chiropractor in the future because i got a really bad back in general. its probably why i get injured there so often.
    Your neck is stuck at an angle and it takes you 5 minutes to get out of bed. Unless you are 90 years old with serious arthritis, this is NOT NORMAL. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO TO A ****ING DOCTOR!! It costs how much? Wouldn't you rather spend a few dollars and find FOR SURE that you're ok then find out 2 months later than you slipped a disk??

    I know people are stubborn, but this is just stupid!

  19. #18
    Senior Member malkore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    315
    jesus god. what is it gonna take to get through your thick head that you INJURED yourself in a significant way!? getting up from leg press and having your neck paralyzed and in pain shoulda been enough.
    being in pain and a paralyzed neck for more than 24 hours should have been enough.
    still having pain 48 hours later, and limited arm movement is past the point of sheer 'duh!'-ness.

    get to a damn sports doctor now! preferably yesterday.

  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    375
    thx for all the care and concern guys.

    update: today my neck is bent at a 60 degree angle. the progress is very notable. im feeling much better now. i dont think i need to see a sports doctor. if i herniated a disc, i wouldn't be recovering like this. i think i might be able to start working out again this friday. probably do something light like forearms but we'll see.

  21. #20
    Take Two Ruffian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DisneyWorld
    Posts
    743
    I think its pretty idiotic of you, but its your body. Having your neck be unable to move is not a normal issue, and frankly I think your an idiot for ignoring that. Yes, you may hate doctors but they have a purpose. There are several severe conditions which manifest initially as muscle paralyzation and you dont want to end up finding years down the road that you could have saved yourself from a wheelchair had you bit down on your pride.

    Your body, treat it as you want. Just heed my warning that your being a dumass.
    Stats:
    Age: 22
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

    Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

  22. #21
    Grammar Nazi BG5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,979
    Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy
    thx for all the care and concern guys.

    update: today my neck is bent at a 60 degree angle. the progress is very notable. im feeling much better now. i dont think i need to see a sports doctor. if i herniated a disc, i wouldn't be recovering like this. i think i might be able to start working out again this friday. probably do something light like forearms but we'll see.
    No offense, but you must be one of the densest people on the planet.

    Should we take up a collection to get you the 50 bucks to go to one of those walk-in doctor places?

    Face it, you messed something up. Who cares if it fixes itself in a few days. Chances are it'll happen again, and maybe it'll be worse.

    tuttut

    If you don't go to a doctor you might wind up looking like this:

    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

    Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

  23. #22
    C.S.C.S. ddegroff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,817
    You needed to see a doc 3 days ago!

    You most likely did something during your back exercises and didn't notice. Then you got into the leg press and tightened up.

    It might not be anything, BUT it MIGHT be something major.

    SEE A DOC!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

    "Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

  24. #23
    Take Two Ruffian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DisneyWorld
    Posts
    743
    Im glad im not the only person who thinks this guy is insane!
    Stats:
    Age: 22
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

    Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

  25. #24
    considering lipo Skinny Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    O - HI - O
    Posts
    534
    We need a fishing smiley. Either Andy is fishing for fun on the innernets, or he's the dumbest person to ever live. I gotta imagine it's fishing.

    Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.


  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    375
    not one doctor visit so far has amounted to anything more than i've already known. i've had a lot of serious injuries in my life, a lot more serious than my back right now and doctors simply told me to wait it out.

    in any case i have an appointment three weeks from now. thats the best hmo can do. as for an update, my neck is now bent at about 70 degrees (normal is 90 degrees both sides). its still pretty stiff but im obviously feeling better. hopefully i didnt do anything serious to my spine. im pretty sure its nothing too bad because if i really herniated a disc like some of you have hypothesized, i'd have numbness in certain areas and my condition wouldnt be improving like this. plus herniated disc often results in uncrontollable bowel movements. so far none of those symptoms. just pain. a lot of pain but thats life.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •