Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny guy wanting to max the flat bench.

Hybrid View

Skinny guy wanting to max the flat bench.

Hey, I'm the definition of a hard-gainer. I weight about 150-155 and am 6'0". I have been stuck on my flat bench for about 10 months, maxed at about 170lbs. I can put up 225lbs on decline and about 150 on incline bench. Why is my flat bench lagging behind so much? I also have a gap in between my pecs and I am having trouble filling that in. I used to do 3 sets of flat bench, but I upped it to 5. Am I on the right track to build it up?

I also take 2 large protein shakes everyday, 1 before/after I lift, and 1 before bed.

You probably just need to eat more bud.

Also, are you doing incline/decline/flat all in the same workout? That might help to explain a little as well. Adding even MORE sets on top of that and you're just overtraining.

Nothing you can do about the gap in your pecs except eating more and continually lifting.

What's your split look like?

Yeah, I do train them all on one day, Monday. Should I do something like lift flat and decline one week, then flat and incline the next week? Also, can I do cable crossover flys with it? I probably am overtraining. I forgot, I just started taking 17-HD, the testosterone amplifier. Does that help overtraining at all? Also, what do you mean by split?

17-HD? Is that some supposed store bought testosteron booster? You've probably wasted 40 bucks.

Split is just your entire workout. If we can see that, it may give other ideas as to why you're not progressing.

I would suggest keeping it at two chest exercises. Changing between a decline and incline each week is fine. If you can, mix in some dumbbell presses instead of solely barbell.

Yeah, I've actually noticed that I'm not tired after lifting and seem to have more energy when I lift when I take the 17-HD. Could just be in my head though... As for my workout, i think you mean weekly.

Monday: Chest - flat, decline, incline, cable flys, burnout on bench press machine.

Tuesday: off

Wednesday: Back - Wide grip pullups, Lat pulls, seated rows, one arm rows with dumbbell, close rip lat pulls, usually one more row workout.

Thursday: Arms - Dips, arm extensions, skullcrushers, EZ bar curls, concentration curls, hammerhead curls, cable curls (arms straight out and curl in.)

Friday: Shoulders - overhead press, front raises, shrugs, and I started lifting legs(squats and such)

1. Eat more.
    2. Too much volume, drop 2 benches, substitute maybe db press
    3. Stop taking whatever **** your taking.
    4. Post your routine so we can see if there are any OTHER problems.

sorry but what do you mean by routine? The order that I lift each day by?

Quote: 4. Post your routine so we can see if there are any OTHER problems.

Eeek. I didn't know I was lifting THAT bad. I guess thats why I'm here.

I didnt mean to come off so blunt. Its good that your here, Its good that your asking questions. The reason your not gaining could possible be beacuse you are lifting that bad lol. When i say routine, I mean post your split if your own one (aka what days you work what body parts) and how many days a week your work that split. Also post how much volume (aka set/rep scheme) Most likely, your not eating enough... but you could be overtraining as well. Hitting 3 bench presses in a single workout isnt a good idea though.. so that gives us some hints about the rest of your routine. Post what you do.. and we will go from there.

hah. Thanks ok. I think I really do overtrain now that I think about it. I guess my split is I work the same thing every week. The same as I just posted above.

I have just been doing 3 sets of everything, all the lifts at about 8 reps each. If I would bench flat and decline, then do flys, would that be too much for one day of chest?

Banned
    1. Change your routine - you've been doing it for 10 months and your stuck. That's fine, it happens to everyone.

2. Eat more. Just because you're eating "lots" doesn't mean your eating enough to gain weight. Try tracking everything you eat for a day at www.fitday.com and show us the results.

Ok, I must have missed what you posted above. Yes, you are majorily over training. Theres no need for that much volume. Where are your legs? Most people make the best gains when they are working their entire body.. yes, that means legs. You need to really read up around here.. You need a change in routine, perhaps try WBB#1.

I wrote this awhile back for a friend.. It might help you get the basics down.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=84732

Yes, there's really WAY to much work there, and way more upper body work than lower. You don't need a whole day dedicated to arms alone.

You should really get off that routine completely.

Give this routine a shot:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

Follow it down to the letter. If there are some exercises there that you don't know, head on over to exrx.net. There's a whole directory of exercises and short clips to show you how they're done:
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    If there are any exercises there that you're not sure about, or if there are any that you don't have the right equipment for, feel free to ask.

Start training your legs! Believe it or not, you'll get compliments by the opposite sex if they look good. I was surprised when a rather attractive middle aged woman (I'm 20) complimented me when I walked into my job one day wearing shorts.

And, above all else, start eating more! You're skinny. At your height, I'd think you should be close to 200. I know, that seems impossible now, so just take it step by step. First, make your goal 160. Once you hit that, go 10 pounds more, etc. etc.

eat, eat, eat

Wow. thanks a lot man. I thought about lifting legs, its hard for me to get into them, but I won't let that stop me now. So should I just repeat that WWB#1 for week after week then? I'm also going to track what I eat for the next couple of days and post that up for you guys, I've been having a friend somewhat help me out with what to eat, but not nearly as helpful as this. I also go to college and eat in the cafeteria everyday for lunch, which isn't exactly the best food. Thanks again, Its time to be the guy that everyone wants to be like in the gym.

Thanks too Chris. I've been told that I would look really nice with bigger legs by some girls too, I'm 20 as well. I am seriously amazed at how bad I've been lifting. It might take me a long time to get to 200lbs. I have about 4-5% body fat. I was about 1.5% when I started lifting!! I'm really really cut. But I think things are going to be changing soon.
    Last edited by Insane_DOHC; 10-11-2006 at 10:41 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane_DOHC
    I have about 4-5% body fat.
    No you don't.

I was about 1.5% when I started lifting!! I'm really really cut. But I think things are going to be changing soon.
    No you didn't.

Male bodyfat pecentages:
    Contest bodybuilder: 3-5%
    Extremely lean: 6-9%
    Lean: 10-15%
    Average Male: 16-20%
    Poor: 20-25%
    Very Poor: 25%+

http://chetday.com/bodyfatindex.htm

Thanks too Chris. I've been told that I would look really nice with bigger legs by some girls too, I'm 20 as well. I am seriously amazed at how bad I've been lifting. It might take me a long time to get to 200lbs. I have about 4-5% body fat. I was about 1.5% when I started lifting!! I'm really really cut. But I think things are going to be changing soon.
    I was under the impression that one could not survive at 1.5% bodyfat.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

If you are 4-5% you would be in the contest shape of a professional IBBF bodybuilder. Considering those guys have super genetics and use a boatload of illegal drugs to get that lean, I would highly doubt you are anywhere near 4-5%

And if you were 1.5% at any time you would have been dead.

really? I did it at my college I went to by my fitness teacher. You can see every vein in my body when I lift. Its kinda gross.
    I was wondering if I should do any type of cardio since I'm trying to gain.

Wannabebig Member
    I can support what Insane_DOHC says. I actually was the one that measured his body fat a couple years ago. He doesnt have a whole lot of body fat on him. Not gunna lie...
    Last edited by insane_sohc; 10-11-2006 at 10:51 PM.

oh well. never mind about that then. Just letting you know, I'm really really lean. So should I even bother with cardio stuff? I do like to do some boxing with a heavy bag. Should I do that anymore?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    oh well. never mind about that then. Just letting you know, I'm really really lean. So should I even bother with cardio stuff? I do like to do some boxing with a heavy bag. Should I do that anymore?

You can if you want to. Just remember if you do cardio you will have to up the calories to compensate for the increased activity. And yes WWB1 or WWB 2 are good routines you could benefit from trying. Give it a shot and see how it goes.

And if you were 1.5% at any time you would have been dead.
    I looked like I should have been dead. Ha

Well, at his height and weight I do believe he has a low bodyfat.

1.5 percent is very much impossible.

4-5 percent is believable, though barely.

If you were the one who measured his bodyfat at 1.5 percent, you definitely did something wrong.

If you're trying to gain, skip the cardio. HIIT is a good alternative though.

Wannabebig Member
    My bad