The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Stronger without getting bigger?

I was reading an article in Men's Fitness (I know, I know, that's why I'm asking here) and it was talking about how to get stronger without gaining size. I've always been the guy with broad shoulders and a big chest etc. It was pretty easy for me to get size. The size always involved extra fat though. I went from 230 to 204 over the past few months and I'd like to keep going. I've been lifting as well as doing cardio 4-5 times a week. I kinda like the idea of getting down to ~185 but pretty strong.

The article said to do this you should lift heavy weights, quickly, with less reps. They said the speed and the heavy weight makes your nervous system adjust and uses more muscle fibers or something like that.

I just wanted to know what you all thought about this theory. Being "big" is fun, but I'm ready for clothes to fit better and be cut up more.

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

fast reps sound dangerous
    started june 06
    now weigh 180lbs 5'4
    age 26
    bench 240lbs
    dead 340lbs
    seated shoulder press 85lbs (each arm)

Quote Originally Posted by care_bear
    fast reps sound dangerous
    lol a lot of things are dangerous

its been said before an it will be again - try jumping slowly, how high do you get? how much force do you create?

more speed = more power, more power = more weight

all you need to do to gain strength without size is to lift heavy with low reps (2-6), an eat only enough for you to keep the same weight - if your pushing your body to lift heavy things, but are not supplying it with enough kcals to grow, the only way it can do it is to get stronger

Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY
    all you need to do to gain strength without size is to lift heavy with low reps (2-6), an eat only enough for you to keep the same weight - if your pushing your body to lift heavy things, but are not supplying it with enough kcals to grow, the only way it can do it is to get stronger
    Or... you don't have enough calories in your diet, so you become weaker and can't manage to lift the weight?
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McIrish
    Or... you don't have enough calories in your diet, so you become weaker and can't manage to lift the weight?
    True, but you have to look at relative weight. If your lifts go down 10 lbs and you drop 20 lbs of fat (of course some muscle loss likely), you would, in my opinion, be considerd stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    True, but you have to look at relative weight. If your lifts go down 10 lbs and you drop 20 lbs of fat (of course some muscle loss likely), you would, in my opinion, be considerd stronger.
    Yeah, you have a point. I'd rather not lose strength, but I know that in losing weight it'll be hard to gain strength. I'm going to try the 2-6 reps approach and keep my calories down to keep losing the fat.

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish
    no no, im not saying eat under maintenance, your should eat your maintenance number of calories, just not over maintenance

if you do this with the right food, an do good solid low rep strength/power training, you will get stronger/more powerful, without getting heavier

Iron4Life
    It's relatively easy for us heavyweights to get bigger and stay strong.. just eat more and keep lifting heavy...

But it is a science and art form to monitor your calories and macros.. to stay a lightweight.. and still be so damn strong. How those lightweight man and woman do it.. amazing...