The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Abs like a brick wall

Abs Like a Brick Wall
    by Chad Waterbury

Want great looking abs that can also absorb a punch? I've got a good tip for ya. Back in my hometown there's a beer joint called The Bloody Bucket. Spend a few Friday nights there and you'll learn to take a punch in a hurry (I sure did). Just stay away from a fella named Tire Iron until you build up some tolerance.

If that doesn't sound appealing to you, there's another way to go at it. I've spent considerable time around boxers, grapplers, and all-round bad-asses. I picked this exercise from them, so they get the credit. It's called Plate Drops.

Here's what you do:

1. Lay on your back on the floor with your legs extended.

2. Grab a 25 pound plate and hold it 6 inches above your midsection (the large, flat side is facing your abs, don't hold the plate perpendicular to your abs).

3. Tighten your abdominal region.

4. Release (drop) the plate on your abdominal region so it falls flat on your midsection.

5. Rest 30 seconds and perform 9 more drops with the same rest period.

These Plate Drops mimic a very large surface area blow to the midsection. The key to this exercise is to constantly increase the height that you drop the plate from. For the first week, perform this exercise every other day from the same 6-inch height position. The following week, increase it to 10 inches. Once you can drop the plate from a full arm-extended position, switch to a 35 lb plate and start over from the same initial height (6 inches). The ultimate goal is to perform this exercise with full arm extension utilizing a 45 lb plate. You'll develop a tighter, more muscular abdominal musculature while subsequently learning to take one helluva punch/kick to the midsection!

Recently, a member of the Hell's Angels contacted me to design a strength-training program for him. He swears by this exercise and he says the improvements have helped him immensely. How can you argue with that?!

I think im going to start this. What do you guys think?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Serious?

yeah...

Banned
    B.s.

Well I guess using a medicine ball is the same idea....

Where did you find this?
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

t-nation

...and then there was iron Andre3000's Avatar
    Bad idea. so many injury possibilites. just like getting in a fight!

I know sometimes boxers will punch each other...I would start lighter than 25 so you don't break your ribs or somethign by messing up.

ya i think ill start with a 10 lb plate

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    anth15: It's great that you want to share with the board. I really think you need to take some time and do some more in depth learning.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by anth15
    ). The ultimate goal is to perform this exercise with full arm extension utilizing a 45 lb plate.

Ludicrous utterly ludicrous. There are much better and safer ways to build abs.

Why not just have a buddy come over and whack you with a bat?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    haha wow your collective ignorance to body hardening makes me laugh.

I don't understand how this could possibly give you better abs? Broken ribs? Perhaps. Bruises? Almost definitely. But harder abs? I highly doubt it.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Worst...thread...ever.

I would suggest NOT dropping heavy plates on your stomach, which would probably put you at risk for damaging internal organs. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

And dropping **** on your stomach won't make your abs harder. But it will make you look like an idiot.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

cool, i'll try it What about using the bar instead?

Would the pointy ends of dumbbells work? I'm thinking that maybe that would be my tolerance a lot faster.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Worst...thread...ever.

I would suggest NOT dropping heavy plates on your stomach, which would probably put you at risk for damaging internal organs. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

And dropping **** on your stomach won't make your abs harder. But it will make you look like an idiot.
    so I take it you've spent alot of time personally dropping **** on your stomach and have shown no results?

I'll run over to THAILAND and tell the single most badass group of fighters on the planet that them kicking each other all day to prepare their muscles for a hit is wrong...a bunch of goonies on the internet said it so it must be true!

Powerlifters have arguably the strongest abs/core of a particular population of people, and I sure as hell don't see Chuck V dropping plates on his stomach.

Edit: Waiting for the obligatory 'BRUCE LEE HAD THE STRONGEST ABZ'

Banned
    when you weigh 300lbs, I'm sure a strong core is in order...but that really isn't at all the point of waterbury's article, or the intended use for the training. It's about optimazation and conditioning. You gotta remember, waterbury is a sports/performance guy, not a bodybuilder.

Powerlifters don't have to weigh 300lbs.. and, they ARE sports/performance guys.

They train their core to make it as strong as possible in order to help their lifts, but they certainely don't do it by dropping plates on their belly. Therefore, this plate dropping ghetto bull**** is not optimal for a set of 'abs like a brick wall.'

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by toki
    so I take it you've spent alot of time personally dropping **** on your stomach and have shown no results?

I'll run over to THAILAND and tell the single most badass group of fighters on the planet that them kicking each other all day to prepare their muscles for a hit is wrong...a bunch of goonies on the internet said it so it must be true!

Big difference between a controlled kick from trained fighters who know what they are doing and an heavy iron plate in an uncontrolled fall by someone who saw this article on the Internet and thought "Oh this sounds so hardcore. I'll try it!"

Not to mention 45's are pretty big. If say your hands slipped and it put you off by just a few inches either way the rim would land on your pelvic area or ribs. From arm's length that's enough weight to crack or break bone. If it hit your xiphoid process, you could kill yourself.

Dropping heavy weights on yourself has probably been considered foolish since caveman days. The weight of supporting evidence since then has done nothing to persuade me otherwise.

And the majority of gym owners or trainers who saw people dropping plates onto their body would probably kick them out of the gym. "We don't need a lawsuit thank you very much. Out you go!"
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 10-14-2006 at 06:06 AM.

Iron4Life
    Perhaps it's not actually the dropping of the weight... but the tensing of the abs that is building your abs?? Dropping an iron weight to your stomach doesn't really sound like a safe idea.. and it I remember from some boxing videos I once saw from Angelo Dundee.. he used to slap the belly, not punch it.. and it was a REMINDER to the boxer, that he needed to keep his stomach/abs/core tight at all times.. to absorb the blow.

Dropping heavy weights on yourself has probably been considered foolish since caveman days.
    for truth
    19 years old, 6'0'' 170 lbs 8-10% bf
    Bench:215x4 Deadlift:245x6 Squat:205x6