The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chad Waterbury is taking the mickey.

Quote Originally Posted by anth15
    Abs Like a Brick Wall
    by Chad Waterbury

Want great looking abs that can also absorb a punch? I've got a good tip for ya. Back in my hometown there's a beer joint called The Bloody Bucket. Spend a few Friday nights there and you'll learn to take a punch in a hurry (I sure did). Just stay away from a fella named Tire Iron until you build up some tolerance.

If that doesn't sound appealing to you, there's another way to go at it. I've spent considerable time around boxers, grapplers, and all-round bad-asses. I picked this exercise from them, so they get the credit. It's called Plate Drops.

Here's what you do:

1. Lay on your back on the floor with your legs extended.

2. Grab a 25 pound plate and hold it 6 inches above your midsection (the large, flat side is facing your abs, don't hold the plate perpendicular to your abs).

3. Tighten your abdominal region.

4. Release (drop) the plate on your abdominal region so it falls flat on your midsection.

5. Rest 30 seconds and perform 9 more drops with the same rest period.

These Plate Drops mimic a very large surface area blow to the midsection. The key to this exercise is to constantly increase the height that you drop the plate from. For the first week, perform this exercise every other day from the same 6-inch height position. The following week, increase it to 10 inches. Once you can drop the plate from a full arm-extended position, switch to a 35 lb plate and start over from the same initial height (6 inches). The ultimate goal is to perform this exercise with full arm extension utilizing a 45 lb plate. You'll develop a tighter, more muscular abdominal musculature while subsequently learning to take one helluva punch/kick to the midsection!

Recently, a member of the Hell's Angels contacted me to design a strength-training program for him. He swears by this exercise and he says the improvements have helped him immensely. How can you argue with that?!

I think im going to start this. What do you guys think?
    Wow, I never knew t-nation posted stuff like this.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Toki might have a point... kinda. I have heard of body hardening, but I was under the impression that it was just slamming your shins/fists/whatever into something for weeks on end until the outer layer had callused up to the point where you don't feel pain from hitting something with it any more. I find it incredibly hard to believe that you could a) cause your abdominal muscles/the surrounding skin to callus up, and b) crazy to think that by merely feeling no pain in your abdominal muscles (assuming this wacky scheme were feasible) you would actually make them stronger.

For what it's worth, in boxing we took turns punching each other in the stomach while the other guy flexed hard, but it wasn't to actually cause the ab muscles to grow any larger, it was to cause the guy getting punched ot know what it feels like to get wailed on in the stomach so he wouldn't lose it in a fight after the first hit.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by McIrish; 10-14-2006 at 10:33 AM.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Geez, people, Waterbury's post was a joke.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash

when training for mma i ended up hitting myself with a hammer, as well as having my training partner kick me. I would perform strikes on walls with no padding or gloves, an kick corner posts with my shins

this kind of training is called 'iron body' - it is a way to condition your body for fighting

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    No, it's called mind over body.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Gamer/Lifter
    Hey, try this sgreat workout to harden up your entire face.

1. Take somthing heavy 100 LB DB Should do
    2. Hold the DB as high as you can over your head
    3. Drop it
    4. If you live thoughout the ordeal o fhaving 100 lbs hit your head, try it again cause you just proved yourself to be too stupid to even be alive.
    Last edited by Nik00117; 10-14-2006 at 03:48 PM.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Wannabebig Member
    This is something that could work granted your not a dumbass who would seriously injure themselves. You dont have to neccesarily use a 25lb. plate.

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish
    Toki might have a point... kinda. I have heard of body hardening, but I was under the impression that it was just slamming your shins/fists/whatever into something for weeks on end until the outer layer had callused up to the point where you don't feel pain from hitting something with it any more. I find it incredibly hard to believe that you could a) cause your abdominal muscles/the surrounding skin to callus up, and b) crazy to think that by merely feeling no pain in your abdominal muscles (assuming this wacky scheme were feasible) you would actually make them stronger.

For what it's worth, in boxing we took turns punching each other in the stomach while the other guy flexed hard, but it wasn't to actually cause the ab muscles to grow any larger, it was to cause the guy getting punched ot know what it feels like to get wailed on in the stomach so he wouldn't lose it in a fight after the first hit.

Just my $0.02.
    Actually I saw something about this on fight science but it doesnt work for muscles it only works for bones. What you do is repeatedly traumatize your bones by hitting it against something eventually your bones build some sort of extra layer on them and harden themselves you keep doing this and layers upon layers build up on your bones making them harder. They didnt say anything about this working on your muscles.
    This is how people brake boards and **** like that which is what they were examining.

I used to know a guy that would have his buds beat him with a big ol' rubber hose because he claimed that the bruised muscles would heal themselves stronger then before...
    ... or something lol

When I boxed we would get in the sit up position, the coach would grab the medicine ball and repeadtly hammer away at our stomach area, for a while, we'd increase the time it was done each session. I guess this is kids stuff compared to the crazy **** some of you are doing with hammers,etc.
    Last edited by powerrack; 10-14-2006 at 06:03 PM.
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash

True...but some people seem to be viewing it as gospel...which is why I posted what I did just in case there is anybody seriously considering trying this out.

Remember that not everyone here is an experienced lifter and may not be able to ascertain fact from fiction or a joke from serious advice, as this thread shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117

3. Drop it
    4. If you live thoughout the ordeal o fhaving 100 lbs hit your head, try it again cause you just proved yourself to be too stupid to even be alive.
    DUDE, this works so well!

But is my face supposed to be so puffy afterwards?

I am not a weightlifting expert but I know that this is by far the worst post in history of the internet. When it comes to abs I listen to just one person - Bruce Lee. And he never had anything so ridiculous in his exercise routine and I guarantee you that he could take a punch to the stomach from anyone on Earth. My abs are pretty strong from following his routine over the years. That is all I have to say about this post.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar

3. Drop it
    Haha wow I was just about to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by K1M
    Edit: Waiting for the obligatory 'BRUCE LEE HAD THE STRONGEST ABZ'
    Quote Originally Posted by -Superman-
    When it comes to abs I listen to just one person - Bruce Lee. And he never had anything so ridiculous in his exercise routine and I guarantee you that he could take a punch to the stomach from anyone on Earth.
    WHADDA I FARKIN' TELL YA ! LOL

God i like being right
    Last edited by K1M; 10-14-2006 at 09:26 PM.

Lmao.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    anth15: It's great that you want to share with the board. I really think you need to take some time and do some more in depth learning.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -Superman-
    I am not a weightlifting expert but I know that this is by far the worst post in history of the internet. When it comes to abs I listen to just one person - Bruce Lee. And he never had anything so ridiculous in his exercise routine and I guarantee you that he could take a punch to the stomach from anyone on Earth. My abs are pretty strong from following his routine over the years. That is all I have to say about this post.
    Please tell me you didn't just make a Bruce Lee reference...
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    I know some EXPERIENCED boxers will have a partner drop a medicine ball on their tensed stomach but i was more under the impression this was for learning to exhale/tense core when taking body shots, and if u wish to create the 'iron body' you are better to take something along the lines of a basebal bat and roll it over your shins etc increasingly getting stronger over a period of sessions this helps to deaden the nerves decreasing the feeling. Also if you want denser bones start by punching a bucket of sand or something like that and do knuckle press ups.....not trying to disrespect you savvy just don't want any1 who isnt experienced thinking they gunna become better fighter hitting themselves with hard objects
    Last edited by roscoe24; 10-16-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Gamer/Lifter
    Any idiot trying the dropping weight on yourself should try my hardening of the forehead! Works great, because every person that does it porperly is one less idiot on the internet. Or simply taking up oxygen.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Nutting (Headbutting) is a viable technique to be employed in any pub brawl.

-Steele

Any idiot trying the dropping weight on yourself should try my hardening of the forehead! Works great, because every person that does it porperly is one less idiot on the internet. Or simply taking up oxygen.

Footballer
    Wait, this makes complete sense. I just feel like an idiot for realizing it now. All those hours I've spent in the gym lifting weights I could have done at home. Flexing my muscles and having my mom strike me with a baseball bat or some other utencil. I feel like a dumbass with this new information.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

I have heard (from a reliable source - gym freak and martial arts instructor to-be) that having your stomach punched is the best exercise for hardening+toning it. Whether it forms calluses or increases muscle density is another matter, however.

-Steele