Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Abs like a brick wall

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I have heard (from a reliable source - gym freak and martial arts instructor to-be) that having your stomach punched is the best exercise for hardening+toning it.
    That doesn't sound reliable to me...

It's mind over body and learning to control your breathing upon impact, etc.. It has nothing to do with making the muscles harder.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Does near-to physical injury not create microscopic tears in the muscle fibers then? The Spartans used to beat their weaker soldiers to make them physically and mentally stronger.

-Steele

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    That doesn't sound reliable to me...

It's mind over body and learning to control your breathing upon impact, etc.. It has nothing to do with making the muscles harder.
    Last edited by Steele; 10-19-2006 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    Does near-to physical injury not create microscopic tears in the muscle fibers then? The Spartans used to beat their weaker soldiers to make them physically and mentally stronger.

-Steele
    When I got a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, one of the exercises they had us do was take a metal rod and lightly beat our shins with it. It made the shin bone stronger so it would be almost unbreakable. I think it has to do with building calcium deposits over the bone and making it larger or more dense. The same thing goes with doing knuckle pushups. My knuckles are pretty big and were trained to punch walls. I left my leg out of a moving vehicle once to be cool and it hit a building supporting beam. My leg didn't break at all. I think it was because my shins were trained to be hit with great force. My leg did bust open however and bleed everywhere.
    Last edited by -Superman-; 10-19-2006 at 12:46 PM.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Thought you were a man of steel?

-Steele

Edit: sorry, typo. One gets used to typing these things ~

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman-
    I left my leg out of a moving vehicle once to be cool and it hit a building supporting beam. My leg didn't break at all. I think it was because my shins were trained to be hit with great force. My leg did bust open however and bleed everywhere.
    Last edited by Steele; 10-19-2006 at 01:01 PM.

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    "Ready to protect?"
    "I'm ready"
    ...whoooosh. BAM!
    "I'm OK!"
    ...whoooosh. BOOM!
    "Ahhhhh"

let's see if anyone will get this quote
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

Quote Originally Posted by Steele

-Steele
    WTF are you talking about? Have you ever watched Shaolin monks withstand great physical feats of pain? Skinny ass little guys doing things that would make very large men cry. It's mind over matter, breathing techniques, meditation, etc..

Wannabebig Member

The plate drop works. Believe it!!

You fools! The plate-drop technique is ancient knowledge, held hostage from Westerners like the recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken. For centuries, warriors feared that if the white man discovered this technique, he'd use it in conjunction with his expertise in nation-building and penis envy to further subvert and control indigenous populations from the South Pacific to the South Bronx. Thus, plate dropping was practiced secretly for generations in schools located in war bunkers, abandoned villages, or near faulty nuclear reactors. The sacred parchments of AB (which no human is allowed to touch without gloves-and no white man can touch, period) are rumored to be located somewhere in the mountains of Afghanistan, fueling additional speculation that the current American administration, fearing their power, has shifted its military attention further south.

In the wet spring of 1980 I was a naive young journalist fresh out of Harvard, eager to prove my worth outside of hallowed ivy halls. I took a paid internship as a journalist for the Peace Corps. I was located in Istanbul, given a travel stipend, a room, access to a local guide and translator, and a fancy pen set. I set to work immediately, quill in hand, heart on sleeve, 22-year old blood running like liquid fireworks through my body. There I was, finger on the pulse of the underworld, a blue-blooded American, adventurer, rebel, fighting for the little guy just as the Reagan adminstration was trying to crush him. Tough? Yeah, I was tough. Or so I thought, until I met Hassan.

Hassan, better know as "The Beast", was a dread-locked rasta originally from Jamaica. Hassan had started life as a brilliantly talented violist, performing with the London Orchestra at the tender age of 8. Before he hit puberty, he'd won a national scrabble championship, written a series of books on French cooking, and narrowly missed defeating world chess champion Gary Kasporav in a match long-protested for Kasporav's alleged use of electronic "cheat" signals that were supposedly pulsating under his toupee.

How Hassan came to be one of the world's most vicious but respected underground plate-droppers started when he was shipped away to a Siberian labor camp for his failure to complete an assigned dissertation on the role of quantum mechanics in the development of black holes during the Big Bang era; on the day of the deadline, his parents found him near the beach, smoking herb with a beautiful young Jamaican woman.

More stuff happens, but I'm ready to get into it yet. I might be targeted.

Oh yeah, I run a lot on concrete and my knees are kind of shot, but I'm trying to get bigger - what kind of risk are there for knee injuries while doing squats?

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    WTF are you talking about? Have you ever watched Shaolin monks withstand great physical feats of pain? Skinny ass little guys doing things that would make very large men cry. It's mind over matter, breathing techniques, meditation, etc..
    And little tricks like taping your balls up to your navel in order to take the kick in the crotch - the kick hits the bones in the pelvic area and not the sensitive parts. (although I can't verify that claim)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblotter
    You fools! The plate-drop technique is ancient knowledge, held hostage from Westerners like the recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken. For centuries, warriors feared that if the white man discovered this technique, he'd use it in conjunction with his expertise in nation-building and penis envy to further subvert and control indigenous populations from the South Pacific to the South Bronx. Thus, plate dropping was practiced secretly for generations in schools located in war bunkers, abandoned villages, or near faulty nuclear reactors. The sacred parchments of AB (which no human is allowed to touch without gloves-and no white man can touch, period) are rumored to be located somewhere in the mountains of Afghanistan, fueling additional speculation that the current American administration, fearing their power, has shifted its military attention further south.

In the wet spring of 1980 I was a naive young journalist fresh out of Harvard, eager to prove my worth outside of hallowed ivy halls. I took a paid internship as a journalist for the Peace Corps. I was located in Istanbul, given a travel stipend, a room, access to a local guide and translator, and a fancy pen set. I set to work immediately, quill in hand, heart on sleeve, 22-year old blood running like liquid fireworks through my body. There I was, finger on the pulse of the underworld, a blue-blooded American, adventurer, rebel, fighting for the little guy just as the Reagan adminstration was trying to crush him. Tough? Yeah, I was tough. Or so I thought, until I met Hassan.

Hassan, better know as "The Beast", was a dread-locked rasta originally from Jamaica. Hassan had started life as a brilliantly talented violist, performing with the London Orchestra at the tender age of 8. Before he hit puberty, he'd won a national scrabble championship, written a series of books on French cooking, and narrowly missed defeating world chess champion Gary Kasporav in a match long-protested for Kasporav's alleged use of electronic "cheat" signals that were supposedly pulsating under his toupee.

How Hassan came to be one of the world's most vicious but respected underground plate-droppers started when he was shipped away to a Siberian labor camp for his failure to complete an assigned dissertation on the role of quantum mechanics in the development of black holes during the Big Bang era; on the day of the deadline, his parents found him near the beach, smoking herb with a beautiful young Jamaican woman.

More stuff happens, but I'm ready to get into it yet. I might be targeted.

Oh yeah, I run a lot on concrete and my knees are kind of shot, but I'm trying to get bigger - what kind of risk are there for knee injuries while doing squats?

Great stuff.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 10-19-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Why not just have a buddy come over and whack you with a bat?
    I've had this happen, though i didn't volunteer for it. It hurts.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    I've had this happen, though i didn't volunteer for it. It hurts.
    Any relation to Dr Squat?