Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snatch?

lifting heavy

Snatch?

Who in here performs the snatch lift? How long have you been doing it and how did you learn your technique? I was just fooling around with it a little bit today for the first time. It seems fun. I am thinking about incorporating them into my routine. If any olympic lifters have any experiences or tips about the lift that would be great. thanks.

yes, i fool around with it. i'm still experimenting with it. I've learned my technique 100% off the internet, which is why I'm really taking my time experimenting with it, using pretty light weight
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

lifting heavy
    yea all I have learned about it seems from the internet. I have never seen anyone do the lift at the gym or anything. It seems like a very complex lift and I would love to master it. Do you have any video links to it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...98491656&hl=en

Don't expect great technique right away. It takes months to get good, and years to perfect it. Also, having a coach, or even someone else who knows the lift, is much better than reading everything possible on the internet. If you're really interested in learning, going out of your way to find someone is worth the hassle.
    Last edited by khari; 10-13-2006 at 09:57 PM.

Iron4Life
    That is a real good video.. especially for the 'net..
    Any chance khari you know where you can get the full video? Looks like he is cut off at the end.. going to do a one-arm snatch or clean..

Wannabebig Member
    www.danjohn.org probably has something on there about the snatch.
    www.mikesgym.org has some useful information. He's a nice guy and I'm sure that if you video'd your snatch he would give you some helps or hints

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
    Who in here performs the snatch lift? How long have you been doing it and how did you learn your technique? I was just fooling around with it a little bit today for the first time. It seems fun. I am thinking about incorporating them into my routine. If any olympic lifters have any experiences or tips about the lift that would be great. thanks.
    I've been doing the squat snatch for about two months. I taught myself through videos of Olympic champs (viz. Suleymanoglu, Mutlu, Dimas, Kakhiashvili).

lifting heavy
    thanks for all the links and info guys. I appreciate it.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ts/Snatch.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...angSnatch.html
    Try doing a hang power snatch or power snatch first so you don't injure yourself.
    Scroll down the middle of the page for video clips.
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

I've been doing it for a bit now. While you can learn it from the Internet, I highly suggest finding a good O-lifting coach. You will be amazed at how much more you will learn and how much easier it will be to learn.

I never had anyone teach me formally, but I did find that learning how to do a one-arm snatch first really helped me when I tried the standard barbell snatch. I started with one-arm DB snatches, then worked my way up to one-arm barbell snatches (always entertaining to other gym goers), then used some of the applied techniques for the regular two-arm barbell snatch with some minor instruction from a few more experienced snatchers.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I thought I had it down too, then after one or two sessions with an O-lifter I added about 30 pounds to it easily. There's a lot of mechanics behind it.

I've been doing them for 2 weeks. Overhead squats and highpulls I find have helped me feel a little more comfortable doing them. How much do you guys use?

i do my snatches wrong, and from the floor, i do them like a power clean, not catching at all. dont do them this way, lol.
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    thats fine, just called a power snatch. Much more useful when you are going for a cardiovascular hit. If you are going for higher weights though, you are going to have to work on the catch. Try doing deep overhead squats to build confidence in the deep position. And coaching will help, a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by noahfor123
    I've been doing them for 2 weeks. Overhead squats and highpulls I find have helped me feel a little more comfortable doing them. How much do you guys use?
    I can do about 115 in the one-arm with a barbell. I can only do about 185 for a standard snatch, though. I don't dip down under enough, though, so if I learn how to do it correctly I'm hoping I can get over 225. That would be a good goal.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I used to snatch once in a while, learned the form on internet.

I now only do DB snatches (1 arm) and I love them. They're much less technical than barbell snatches, plus it is so fun to hold that much weight in one hand. Great for the "stabilizers" (obliques etc). I'm not adventurous enough to try it with a barbell, my gym is too small and it would be dangerous .

I feel it makes the weight feel lighter during military presses.

Sometimes I do them "strenght-style", aiming for quality reps, low-rep with as much explosiveness as possible. Or sometimes I do them "hiit-style", doing about 10 reps with a lighter weight very quickly with minimal rest between sets. I start from the floor on the first rep, then do the others from the hang position.
    Last edited by Max Thunder; 11-01-2006 at 06:33 PM.

i do them exactly as max said, i prefer dumbbell and either do heavy weight or low weight for cardio.
    2000 or bust

A one hand barbell will help build your snatch better and requires more balance. Remember keep the weight close to the body and do not lift with your arm, lift with your body.

You can always try one hand dumb bell swing. Much like the one hand snatch but you swing the weight between your legs to gain some momentum.

If the weight goes behind the head at all drop the weight or risk dislocating the shoulder. I always want to know how to bail on a lift before I try training it.

I don't think that the one hand variations help with snatch and clean technique at all.

Front squats and overhead squats are a good place to start.

The one arm variations are great beause they train almost the same capabilities and are much easier to learn.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I don't think that the one hand variations help with snatch and clean technique at all.
    I disagree because of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Guy
    A one hand barbell will help build your snatch better and requires more balance. Remember keep the weight close to the body and do not lift with your arm, lift with your body.
    So I wouldn't say that they don't help "at all", because they do to some extent in teaching some basic concepts.
    Last edited by Guido; 11-03-2006 at 08:26 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    4yrs OLifting. I have a coach and club I lift and coach at.

http://fortifiediron.com/invision/in...howtopic=21439
    http://fortifiediron.com/invision/in...howtopic=13525

The secret to lifting well in Olifts is technique.

I can not stress how important it is to be able to do the Snatch drills WELL WITH AN EMPTY BAR. Then do it with 5kg's on each side WELL, then up it to 40kg well from the BENT FORWARD HANG, then learning to pull to MID THIGH WITH SHOULDERS over the bar well. If you can't do the 1st pull properly you have NO CHANCE of a good Snatch because the bar is in the wrong position for the 2nd pull. This is the biggest fundamental problem with non coached guys. The first pull is incorrect and sets up for a bad 2nd pull.

Once you have the technique down you will have NO PROBLEMS PULLING UNDER HEAVY WEIGHTS. I would not be able to pull under heavy weights with absolute confidence if I didn't have the technique. To be quite frank I'd ***** myself! It would be dam tough to pull under 200lbs+ with no confidence. Spend a few weeks doing the technique and getting it right and you can lift a lot.

A Power Snatch is a lot easier to do wrong then a full Snatch (squatting all the way down). Avoid Power Snatching if you want to learn how to do a full squat Snatch. It will make you pull badly for a squat Snatch. But if you have no access to a coach make do with what you have but please do the technique drills.

Koing

Koing = awesome advice.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    Koing = awesome advice.
    Sharing the knowledge about :thumbup;

Koing

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Impressive lifts you have there Koing.