Thread: Routine for Knee pain? BGB?

Routine for Knee pain? BGB?

Hey all, here's my situation. My left knee has been giving me discomfort for about 3-4 months, and latley my right knee as well, which sounds like a problem of squat form. So I am on the 4th week of 5X5 and unfortunatley I'm going to have to stop in the middle of the program because my knee pain has gotten too severe.

The pain is not intense, just un-normal discomfort. No shooting pain, and not constant pain, just random pain. So instead of squatting 3 times a week I'm going to cut out squats/deads? for about a month to let my knee heal. Sadly I've been neglecting the pain because I love squatting so much, but it's time to address the problem. After reading about knee problems I think I have a minor case of Chondromalacia Patella (Patellofemoral Syndrome) (runner's knee).

I know my form is off, and I am still trying to work on it, but instead of lowering the weight to work on form I am just going to take a needed break from squats.

So, now I am wondering of a program that is knee-friendly. I was looking at BGB, but cutting out full squats and quad work would eliminate a whole days workout. SOrry about the life story, but I need a program that will help me heal my knees.

EDIT:What do yall think about continuing on 5X5 but doing light front squats? Or doing BGB but instead of legpress and squats, doing light front squats and lunges??
    Last edited by bigmoney; 10-15-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Do light squats. I'm becoming a BIG fan of high-rep squat work at the moment - it's doing wonders for my form and helping me rehab my back.

I'm doing 20-rep squats with about half my usual training weight. You could try something like that. Oh, and check with your doc, but something that helped me with knee tracking has been leg extensions, but only using the top half of the movement, not too heavy, pause and flex at the top of the movement. 12+ rep sets.

Good luck!

See a doctor while your at it mate...
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Please read this. I promise you will notice a difference in a month.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

THanks for the help Built. I could have muscle imbalance, so since I have not done direct ham/glute work in a while, I am looking forward to seeing how that transfers over to my squats. When you say light squats, would you suggest front or back squats. I have almost perfect form on front squats so thats why I feel they wont effect my knee pain, but I also know finally getting form down on back squat is essential.

So since the 5X5 program is basic progressive overload, like any other program, should I switch over to BGB considering maybe my body just cant handle 3 days/wk squats at the moment?

One last question: Is there any way to incorporate GHR (maybe instead of GM's) in your BGB program? I've never done these but I've heard wonders for these increasing stability/strength on squats.

Thanks Drew, I've always heard great things of Terminal Knee extensions, I geuss it's about time I do them so I can experience the results.

Do GHRs on hamstring dominant day after RDLs. I love those.

Do BGB with high-rep front squats and ditch the heavy quad work entirely until your knee is good to go. Once it is, switch to high-rep back squats, and gradually build up your weight. That's how I would do it anyway. Since you have a muscle imbalance right now, this will let your hammies catch up.

Sound do-able?

Built, if you're not doing these, you absolutely should add them in. 3xWeek whenever you feel like it is MORE than enough to save your knees. I've been doing these since the second time I tore my right meniscus in March and haven't had any knee pain in months.

I'm having trouble visualizing what you do.

Once the band is in place, what then, exactly? Can you do the "for dummies" version for me?

Thanks again....I'm goin to try 3X15-20 front squat on quad day, with light Good mornings on that day as well so I can do GHR on Hamstring day.

Drew-did you order a jump strech band or did you use a simple ole' band?

I was using cheap bands, but I have a full set of jumpstretch bands so I use those now.

Built, just bend your knee, make sure there is tension in that position and your foot is flat. Then you straighten your knee against the band tension and squeeze your quad to finish.

Here are some good pictures from the side to help explain the motion...
    http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1317875