The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Newbie and question about where to start

Yesterday I purchased 210 lbs of weights from Sears and a bench from Walmart (which was a PITA to put together) and started looking at the Wannabebig Routine and was wondering how much weight should I be starting out with with the varying exercises?

I'm 145-150lbs at 5'6" (recently lost about 60-70 lbs, and probably all muscle) just to give everyone a starting point, and very little muscle on me.

Also, I do not have dumbbells but can I just use the weights I put on the bar in the meantime? And for things like dips and chin-ups, what could I do instead? I also wouldn't mind a 6-pack at some point, so should I just add crunches into one of the days off?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I appreciate it and can't wait to get started

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1. do whatever weight you can. start with just the bar then gradually increase depending on how hard the previous set was

2. yes just stick to your barbell for now until you can get some dumbells

3. work your abs like you do any other muscle. 3x8 or 5x5 or whatever you want. if its really easy then slap a plate on your chest and start crunching. and you can do it on one of your lifting days if you want.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Got your diet sorted?

-Steele

Wannabebig Member
    detard: Thanks and it sounds like a plan, I'm really out of shape so no weights on my stomach just yet.

Steele: Not at all, even though I'm posting on the forum, I don't really "wanna be big" I just wanna get some muscle on my shoulders/arms, etc. and not really get TOO muscular.... I guess I should read up on dieting though to get the correct food to be able to build muscle....

Mate, nutrition plays the biggest role in stimulating muscle growth so long as you are lifting right. And i said that i wanted 'a bit of muscle on my frame', but once you start seeing gains you don't wanna stop =) Read the 'What a Bodybuilder Eats' thread, and Built's thread in her sig on bulking/cutting.

Plus you want to add muscle all over, not only because you will see gains faster, but also due to the fact that you don't want a disproportionate looking body. Good luck with your shiz =)

-Steele

Quote Originally Posted by itsreallyjoey
    detard: Thanks and it sounds like a plan, I'm really out of shape so no weights on my stomach just yet.

Steele: Not at all, even though I'm posting on the forum, I don't really "wanna be big" I just wanna get some muscle on my shoulders/arms, etc. and not really get TOO muscular.... I guess I should read up on dieting though to get the correct food to be able to build muscle....
    Yeah yeah yeah...

Your gonna be hooked, believe me. I aint saying youll go huge, but youll always find something to improve, and befor you know it, your straining at your shirt sleaves.

Then you think, hmm, legs looking alittle behind, and your off.

Have fun man!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    Mate, nutrition plays the biggest role in stimulating muscle growth so long as you are lifting right. And i said that i wanted 'a bit of muscle on my frame', but once you start seeing gains you don't wanna stop =) Read the 'What a Bodybuilder Eats' thread, and Built's thread in her sig on bulking/cutting.

Plus you want to add muscle all over, not only because you will see gains faster, but also due to the fact that you don't want a disproportionate looking body. Good luck with your shiz =)

-Steele
    I suppose I don't want to look even more like a circus freak

I read that .doc and it looks really great and it seems supplements (pills etc) are really important to make sure I get the protein and other nutrients I need daily.

I'll keep reading and searching but is there any way I can apply eating out to these methods? I do that quite a bit or is that one of the many sacrifices to be made?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy
    Yeah yeah yeah...

Your gonna be hooked, believe me. I aint saying youll go huge, but youll always find something to improve, and befor you know it, your straining at your shirt sleaves.

Then you think, hmm, legs looking alittle behind, and your off.

Have fun man!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement and.. most likely I'll fall into this trap! Damnit!

Supplements are only needed if you can't get the stuff in your diet.

As for getting too big or muscular, that just makes me laugh. Getting big isn't easy. You aren't going to wake up one day being a huge muscular freak. It takes years of dedication, diet, genetics and maybe even drugs to get there. So don't worry, just get your diet sorted out and get your routine going.
    Nick V

Supplements aren't essential. It would be better to get your diet and routine in order before taking any supplements. But if you really feel the need to supplement I would stick to the basics (whey and a multivitamin) for quite some time.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

You might wanna purchase a power rack to so you could do some squats...

the only way your gonna get huge like ronnie is if you WANT to look like ronnie or any other huge guys. if you dont wanna get huge. dont worry its not gonna happen over night. it took all those guys YEARS of HARD work and dedication to get where they are.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard 9
    You might wanna purchase a power rack to so you could do some squats...
    I'm pretty sure I can do squats with that bench/system, the bench is able to be pulled out of that little crevice now?

And sorry to all, I know it won't be an overnight thing and will be reading more and more about the special dieting I'll need to do, sounds like I'll be eating a lot of turkey/chicken

BEEF. Eat man! Eat!!!!!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.