The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

squat back and hip positioning

i was just doing some squats today and i got a little confused as to how i'm supposed to position my hips and lower back when executing the squat.. the minor strain in the right side of my lower back i'm feeling now is making me wonder if my form is proper or not..

when you have your legs spread, the bar on your back, and you're ready to go into the squat, do you flex your hips forward hard (kinda stickin your butt out) and maintain that flex for the whole set? i'm thinking maybe i flexed it too hard, and going down like that puts a lot of strain on the lower back.. but i'm not sure if that's how its supposed to be.. i'm pretty new to squats.

i looked at a few technique explanations and they didn't specify too much about how much your hips should be flexed and all... anyone got the proper fix on this?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rhythm,

Before you hurt yourself doing what is far and away the single greatest strength training exercise ever developed, go to Amazon.com and spend the twenty bucks or so on Mark Rippetoe's book "Starting Strength". That book will set you straight on proper squat form like no other resource.

It's a gold mine of useful information on how to do the big lifts properly--and safely.

Good luck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlesfreak
    Rhythm,

Before you hurt yourself doing what is far and away the single greatest strength training exercise ever developed, go to Amazon.com and spend the twenty bucks or so on Mark Rippetoe's book "Starting Strength". That book will set you straight on proper squat form like no other resource.

It's a gold mine of useful information on how to do the big lifts properly--and safely.

Good luck.
    Or search here for free on the many threads and links on form.

Keep your back's natural curve throughout, and stick out that ass as though you are sitting with your butt over a public toilet.

-Steele
    Last edited by Steele; 10-17-2006 at 03:31 AM.