Thread: Bars and Shakes.....help making my own..

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Bars and Shakes.....help making my own..

I would like to start making my own bars b/c of the price. I have a few questions and comments I would like some help with.

I am overweight and my main goal is to get the fat down and the muscle up...

1. 6'4"
    2. Started 8 weeks ago at about 286 pounds (fat)
    3. Currently at 256 pounds (still fat but better!)
    4. Lifting 3 days per week (upper body 2 days per week, lower 1 day then switch the next week)
    5. Doing cardio 3 days a week...jog 2-3 miles or ride mountain bike for 45min-1hour...
    6. My current goal is 235 pounds........

Not looking to get huge, just lose the fat and build muscle.......

Here is what I've been eating
    8 smaller meals per day consisting of either
    1. egg whites, wheat toast 2. chicken sandwiches on wheat 3. chicken with pasta, bell peppers and onions 4. EAS Advant Edge Bar (about 5 a day) 5. Occasional EAS Myoplex shake

I would like to know the following about making my own bars::

1. I've heard the Bars I'm eating are junk but I would like to keep something with the same protein levels, no more fat and around the same carbs if possible b/c even though they may be junk, I am losing weight, they taste great to me, but they are just expensive.

2. They are 2.12oz each, have the follwoing values per bar (I eat 5 a day + three real meals)

Fat 7g
    Saturated 5g
    Trans 0g
    Cholest 0mg
    Sodium 150mg
    Potassium 135mg
    Total Carbs 24g
    Dietary Fiber 1g
    Sugars 1g
    Other Carb???? 22g
    Protein 21g

They also have tons of vitamins, but I think this could be taken care of with a daily vitamin.....

Does anyone have a recipe for good bars that would have close to the same contents? Keep in mind, I'm trying to lose weight right now...I have taken a look at a few bar recipes and they scare me a little b/c of the calorie content per bar..

Also, if your bar recipe requires protein powder, should I get somehting specific or just go to Sam's (Costco) and pick up Whey protein in the big jug???

Thanks for all your help again

You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hacksaw jim
    ...I have taken a look at a few bar recipes and they scare me a little b/c of the calorie content per bar..

almost 1000 calories per bar ??? That's the exact recipe I'm afraid to make b/c I'm trying to lose weight. I'm afraid if I eat 3 of those a day in addition to 3 meals, the only thing I will lose is my progress losing weight!

You can search the recipe forum and find many different recipes and tweak it according to your liking. That 1000 calories is if you eat the whole batch. there is no need to do that.

Have you started tracking on fitday yet?

Why dont you add cottage cheese to your diet. Its a great and convenient snack and very filling. A snack for me is a cup of fat feeCC, 2 tbsp of natural pb and some sweetener. You are talking 34g of Protein, 16g of Carb, and 16g of fat.

What/where are your fat sources?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D
    Have you started tracking on fitday yet?

What/where are your fat sources?
    Yes, I started tracking yesterday.....The numbers yesterday were around 2200 calories with 80 fat, 223 carb and 209 protein...

Fat sources came from the following: 21g from the EAS bars, 3g from oatmeal, 6g from 100% whole wheat bread, 11g from skinless chicken, 15g from olive oil, 14g from Ranch Dressing (my current addiction) and 6g from black olives...

Also, that recipe actually said that it made 9 bars at 933 calories per bar!!!

Ok, I can adjust to make my own bars better...What is Natty Peanur Butter, I'm taking it that this isn't Peter Pan? Also, trying to lose weight, should I try to keep the sugars low as in "no honey". etc...

Thanks

Adjust the portion size. A 1000 cal bar is huge. So take the batch and cut them down to 200 or 300 cal bars. As for shakes, order a bunch of nitrean from ALN. I have found it makes losing weight alot easier as it is more filling then other shakes and is a high quality mix. You can use it to make your bars if you want also.
    Nick V

If honey fits into your macros, then its ok. I know many people put honey in the preworkout oatmeal.

Natural Peanut Butter: The only ingredients are peanuts,salt.

You need to add Fish Oil to the diet as a great fat source. Try to get equal shares of saturated,poly,and mono sources.