The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Thanks for the advice - I need more!

I posted about a week ago on here about how my ultimate goal was to put on about 10 pounds of lean muscle. I'm 5'11, 165. About six months ago I started getting pudgy around the gut/love handle area, weighed about 172. That sucked, so I began jogging heavily, about 20 miles a week, and doing tons of crunches/etc. I then started lifting weights about two months ago - the standard 3x10 stuff - chest and back, mostly. I thought if I dieted, ran a lot, and also lifted weights, I'd be able to put on more mass as well as continue toning the gut. Now I realize that's practically impossible - even more so since I wasn't eating nearly enough. So I switched again, decided to get bigger first, then cut down. The diet is good now, lots of chicken, eating 6 times a day including a couple whey protein shakes, and lifting heavier weights with less reps. So I'm definitely getting bigger, but dammit, the belly is creeping back! It sucks! I really eat pretty responsibly, no junk food, lots of protein and good carbs. Plus I still run about 15 miles per week and hit the crunches hard. Am I just genetically screwed here or are there ways I could bulk up and keep the gut in check?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Let me mention it isn't even really the gut, it's the damn love handles! Damn you, you puffy bastards! I did a lot of work to get the decent six-pack abs and you go and make it look all fruity! Even though I did lots of oblique crunches!

That's it. I'm taking a chainsaw and slicing those bitches off. It'll heal.

Crunches are not gonna make you lose fat. You can't spot treat where you wanna lose fat.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblotter
    That's it. I'm taking a chainsaw and slicing those bitches off. It'll heal.
    I've had the same thought about saddlebags. Sadly, like abs, it's diet.

<fumes>

Wannabebig Member
    yes sirs - I do know that crunches ain't makin the fat go away. But it does help your gut to look pretty good even when there's a little flab around it. I've done so many crunches that even with some added pudge, the abs still show through. Helps the area stay less sloppy. Any recommendations for a more hardcore oblique workout? I need to get those muscles in better shape for when I start cutting down.

Heavy deadlifts.

If your gaining too much fat then adjust your diet to gain slower. Drop you daily calories by 200-300 and see what that does for you. If you have no idea how many calories your eating then that is problem #1.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblotter
    Any recommendations for a more hardcore oblique workout? I need to get those muscles in better shape for when I start cutting down.

Throw weighted sit ups into your routine once or twice a week but don't overdue it because last time I checked the abdominal muscles are still muscles they need time to recover and repair just like the anything else in the body.
    ________

Bulking
    Weight- 175
    Goal for after Bulking 190