Thread: Wrist pains after curls?

Wannabebig New Member

Wrist pains after curls?

Ok guys, I started lifting steadily about two months ago, eating perfect etc. and just recently I have pains in my right arm only when doing curls. It hurts when I let go of my grip, but doesn't feel like its something to do with any of the surrounding muscles... it's odd. It does not hurt in any other lifting, such as bench, etc. either. It happens both with the straight bar and standard bar as well..Has anyone ever had something like this happen? I consider myself to be very healthy, I am 17 and work at Discount Tire, and lift 5 days/week.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Yay for 1st post
    Last edited by ChaseSRT4; 10-10-2006 at 10:04 PM.

Drop the curls if they hurt. You don't need them anyway... What's the rest of your routine like?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

First off, you work at Discount tire--can you hook me up with some free tires???? Secondly, I've had pain like this before. Drop the curls like deeder said. If it hurts, don't do it. When I had the pain, it was mostly on straight bar curls, so I ditched straight bar curls. Also, I got pain when grabbing plates and loading them on bars. This was basically a mild case of tendonitis. No biggee, it happens if you lift a lot. So, I started doing a lot of hammer curls, which helped strengthen everything around the sore areas (helps sore forearms, sore elbows, sore shoulders etc.) So take some time off of your curls, rest up, then when you give it a go try some hammer curls and see how the pain feels after a few weeks.
    Last edited by TommyBoy; 10-10-2006 at 10:34 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the advice, I will definatly put hammer curls in the routine.. I was doing ladders with my friend (Workout buddy) instead of them.. it sounds like I have what you had. Thanks for the help!

Wannabebig Member
    edit*

Doubel post . sorry.
    Last edited by divided; 10-17-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    i have the EXACT same issue. But i get it even with hammer curls. hrmm.

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/s...ad.php?t=31682

This is my post on jsf. Posted today actually before i saw yours. lol.

they're called forearm splints. i took multivitamins and they were gone in three days.

Stop doing all curls for a month.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

i had the same thing, ended up hurtin my wrist badly, and was out for the entire season for basketball...either drop altogether or switch to ez bar, dats wat i use, and no pain
    18 years old
    ball player
    6'8
    goal: 215 by march

late october 2006 weight: 191
    nov. 29, 2006 weight: 200

My journal http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86115

i had the same exact thing happen like a year ago, my wrist would get a sharp pain whwnever i had any weight on it while my palm was facing up like in a curl position. i was actaully using only ezbar bar when it happend, i also was putting waaay too much weight on my preacher curls.

...anyway, i say drop all bar curls and do just hammer curls if you have to do any.
    :alcoholic

Chins and rows will do you alot better.

Srt4... No comment. If you get me free tires I can get you free SRT4 parts though
    Nick V

i dont have pain in my wrists, but when i do heavy 2 handed curls with the bar that isnt flat my left forearm burns when i am done and it hurts to open my hand..thats probably because i am overstraining and my left forearm is weaker than my right...it goes away in about 5 seconds until the next time

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy56
    i dont have pain in my wrists, but when i do heavy 2 handed curls with the bar that isnt flat my left forearm burns when i am done and it hurts to open my hand..thats probably because i am overstraining and my left forearm is weaker than my right...it goes away in about 5 seconds until the next time
    This is the same exact thing that happens to me when I do barbell curls.

It burns in the forearms area, maybe 3 inches away from my wrist as I release the barbell. The burn or pain lasts for a few seconds and is gone. No additional pain until the next time I do barball curls.

I have been lifting for 12 weeks and was going to start the WBB workout next week. Can I safely continue the barbell curls? You I substitute them with something else?

(Sorry for the thread hijack. Can anyone give some recommendations?)

The reason your wrists get sore with BB curls is that unlike DB curls, your wrists are locked at a certain angle and cannot move sideways as the bar is lifted. Stick with DB curls.
    Having said that, DB curls are isolations and should only be used at the end of a bicep workout for a few sets. I use rear delt rows, BB rows and cable rows for my back/posterior delts all in the same workout, and they are great too for biceps, then i finish off with a few sets of isolations.
    But compounds should be the norm for biceps, as with all muscles.
    Last edited by JConrad; 10-18-2006 at 07:11 PM.

i had the same thing, ended up hurtin my wrist badly, and was out for the entire season for basketball...either drop altogether or switch to ez bar, dats wat i use, and no pain
    i had the same exact thing happen like a year ago, my wrist would get a sharp pain whwnever i had any weight on it while my palm was facing up like in a curl position. i was actaully using only ezbar bar when it happend, i also was putting waaay too much weight on my preacher curls.
    Three posts. Zero capital letters. Three periods (not counting ellipses). Might be a record.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Sorry Grammar Nazi..I was unaware that this was a grammar/punctuation forum. I thought it was for bodybuilding...must have been mistaken.