The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Sweating and grunting...where you should be.

Eating early to eating late

This quesiton is for the average joe shmoe, The standard saying is that eating before 7 is healthier and you wont pack on the fat as easy if you do that. Bodybuilders of course need a jolt of protein before bed to prevent breakdown but the question is this,

What is the difference between eating at 6 or 7 pm and doing no activities and eating at 9 or 10 pm right before bed.

eating earlier gives it time to digest and burn some of your daily burn but not a whole to make that big a difference...am I wrong, what do you all think?
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat
    This quesiton is for the average joe shmoe, The standard saying is that eating before 7 is healthier and you wont pack on the fat as easy if you do that. Bodybuilders of course need a jolt of protein before bed to prevent breakdown but the question is this,

What is the difference between eating at 6 or 7 pm and doing no activities and eating at 9 or 10 pm right before bed.

eating earlier gives it time to digest and burn some of your daily burn but not a whole to make that big a difference...am I wrong, what do you all think?
    You may want to do a search on this as it has been covered several times before from what I can remember. The general response is that is a myth. However, this is some truth to your metabolism slowing during night, but not that significantly. On these forums the idea is it's only going to come down to the number of calories you take in that day (assuming proper nutrition breakdowns). Also let's say you eat at 7 and don't eat anymore for the rest of the night. Even if you have earlier days than I do, let's say for this case you wake up at 7am... that is 12 hours your body has been fasting, which in my opinion is no good.From my personal experience when I dropped from 225 - 200 I was eating at night, sometimes in the middle of the night as well. Sorry if this is a bit mixed, it's from the top of my head but I hope it helps clear some things up for you.
    6'5"
    200lbs
    Bench - 270x5
    Squat - 350x5
    Bulking

It makes sense, the 'fasting' part didnt cross my mind. so keeping the total number of calories where they're supposed to be I guess eating spaced out to prevent fasting is the way to go. Simple enough.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Total cals matter. While cutting I would wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning and eat some oats/protein and was still making good progress. As long as total daily cals are below maintence, you will lose weight.
    Nick V

if its any help, i think what most people think of as "getting fat" is that their bodies are holding water.

i've found that if i eat mostly carbs before i sleep my body retains more water than usual when i wake up and look in the mirror.

might just be me though.
    I don't have time. I make time.

Calories dont tell time.

Also, when other time during the 24hrs do you stay almost still? That time gives your body time recover and repair.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Banned
    This a myth. I'm convinced it comes from "Housewide Monthly"'s top 10 weight loss techniques. The logic makes sense though: When do you eat the most ****ty food? Probably after 7 pm, when you're tired, lazy and watching your favorite TV show. Cut out the **** and you'll lose weight. Suprprise, surprise.

yea total cals are whats important not when. lol the quote

'calories dont tell time' - sums it up nicely

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -