The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Biceps and abs...?

My first question is about building your biceps. I don't really do a ton of lifting just curls and such, but I've noticed that as I do bicep workouts the muscle seems to be larger on the inside than outside. I figured it was normal but as I continue to lift it just keeps growing larger on the inside of the bicep and is the same size on the outside. Is this normal or do I need to do a different type of lift?

Also I'm looking for recommendations on the best ab workouts. I don't have a bench or anything so preferrably different types of sit-ups

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Join a gym bro, how do you like the idea of a full body workout?

Remember that only working two body parts doesn't make you look bigger, just makes you have two bigger and potentially disproportionate body parts. A toned lower back and core will give you rock hard abs, i'm fairly sceptic as to whether you can achieve this with sit ups.

-Steele

Wannabebig Member
    I've thought about it. I've just never had any idea where to start with a routine, diet, supplements, all that good stuff. I would hate to go blow money on a membership and have no idea what I was doing.

I guess this is a good place to figure it out though.

Yeah mate, i'd ask the more senior guys to design you a beginner's full body workout then see about nailing form for the lifts. Gains will be so much better

-Steele

Your inner portion of your bicep is bigger because you are only doing wide grip curls. Wider grip hits inner head, narrower grip hits outter head. Add narrow grip curls.

Quote Originally Posted by AzBboy
    Your inner portion of your bicep is bigger because you are only doing wide grip curls. Wider grip hits inner head, narrower grip hits outter head. Add narrow grip curls.
    But it doesn't isolate it. In fact, I've never heard of such a thing as narrow and wide grip curls.

There are TONS of routines floating around these sites! Go take a look at the Wanna Be Big Routines on the main site. There is even a link to a site that has videos showing how to properly perform all lifts in the routines.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    No. You can't isolate different heads of the biceps. ANY type of bicep curl done with good form hits the entire muscle.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 10-21-2006 at 03:31 AM.

read all the stickies on diet and give the WBB routines a try.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Gamer/Lifter
    Stop being a curl jockey, go eat go to the gym and deadlift or squat, come home eat and go to sleep!
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Alrite, what I meant was not isolating each head, but the varying grips do put more emphasis on each head. Inner grip will emphasis more on the longhead (outter) and wide grip more emphasis on the short head (inner.) Here is a clip of IFBB pro milos sarcev with bicep training tips where he explains this whole thing. http://bodybuilding.com/fun/fitshow32.htm

CURL JOCKEYS ARE SOO COOL BECAUSE THEY HAVE HYUUUUUUGE ARMS AND BLASTIN ABSIZZLES...lol, Follow the Big 3:Bench, Deadlift and Squat. Youll be plenty big if you eat enough and hit those every week.

Alrite, what I meant was not isolating each head, but the varying grips do put more emphasis on each head. Inner grip will emphasis more on the longhead (outter) and wide grip more emphasis on the short head (inner.) Here is a clip of IFBB pro milos sarcev with bicep training tips where he explains this whole thing. http://bodybuilding.com/fun/fitshow32.htm
    This is incorrect. Further, even if it were correct, it doesn't matter for 99.99% of the population.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Yes...

...oh wait NO.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Even if the varying grips did put more emphasis on each head, the difference is not enough to make a significant difference for nearly just about everyone. Seriously how many people have you seen where one head of the biceps is much bigger and more developed than the other?

Also what the pros (like sarcev) do is not applicable to 99.999% of the population (as another poster has already mentioned). These are men with unusually good genetics for building muscle and (generally) on enough steroids to make a bull elephant wince.

Furthermore most pros do not have a clue what works. Why? First off their genetics allow them to gain from just about any workout. That's why Arnold and company were able to make good gains from 20+ sets per bodypart routines. Throw their chemical assistance into the mix and again they are able to tolerate (and even gain from) workouts that would destroy the average gym rat.

They couldn't possibly know what works for the average and natural trainer, as much of their observations are based on their results from their great genetics and drug use.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 10-22-2006 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim
    Even if the varying grips did put more emphasis on each head, the difference is not enough to make a significant difference for nearly just about everyone. Seriously how many people have you seen where one head of the biceps is much bigger and more developed than the other?

Also what the pros (like sarcev) do is not applicable to 99.999% of the population. These are men with unusually good genetics for building muscle and (generally) on enough steroids to make a bull elephant wince.

Furthermore most pros do not have a clue what works. Why? First off their genetics allow them to gain from just about any workout. That's why Arnold and company were able to make good gains from 20+ sets per bodypart routines. Throw their chemical assistance into the mix and again they are able to tolerate (and even gain from) workouts that would destroy the average gym rat.

They couldn't possibly know what works for the average and natural trainer, as much of their observations are based on their results from their great genetics and drug use.
    All that and the fact that it's their job. They have the time to stand in the mirror and decide that their outer bicep head seems to be underdevelopped. Then try to think of bullshi7 ways of fixing it.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

I feel a difference in the grips, you may not, milos does, and the poster may or may not, I'm just giving him another option to try, because right now obviously his standard curl is over stimulating his shorthead. I aint saying I'm right or wrong, just offering him more tools to experiment with.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I feel a difference in the grips, you may not, milos does, and the poster may or may not, I'm just giving him another option to try, because right now obviously his standard curl is over stimulating his shorthead. I aint saying I'm right or wrong, just offering him more tools to experiment with.
    It's not about feeling a difference in the grips. Your advice IS wrong because it flies in the face of basic anatomy. The entire muscle is stimulated with any bicep curl. This includes both heads. Plus the OP never said that he only does wide grip curls. You are making an assumption and giving incorrect advice on top of that.
    Not only that but close grip curls tend to be harder on the wrists. You have to slant your wrists to the side somewhat instead of having them straight. Unless you put your elbows in front of you which (if you have any significant chest or shoulder development) is uncomfortable. As for Milos and his ilk I have already debunked that.

To the OP. Don't worry. It will even out in time.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 10-22-2006 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117
    Stop being a curl jockey, go eat go to the gym and deadlift or squat, come home eat and go to sleep!

<<<<<<<< ex-curl jockey

ya I'm guilty
    6'5"
    200lbs
    Bench - 270x5
    Squat - 350x5
    Bulking