The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

neck training? Not shrugs!

Just curious if anyone has had success doing neck specific work. Things like using a pillow/tshirt/etc to pad your head against a wall or your arm, and create your own resistance for your neck. I've been messing with them, doing sides and front/back movements, but am wondering if it's a waste of my time. Something tells me, based on how the neck functions for a human, that it's probably predominantly typeI fibers that won't be worthwhile training for. Wanted to know if anyone has found that they could beef up their neck this way (I have kind of a skinny neck, at least relative to my shoulders/traps, so this would be money if it worked)
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by jdeity
    Just curious if anyone has had success doing neck specific work. Things like using a pillow/tshirt/etc to pad your head against a wall or your arm, and create your own resistance for your neck. I've been messing with them, doing sides and front/back movements, but am wondering if it's a waste of my time. Something tells me, based on how the neck functions for a human, that it's probably predominantly typeI fibers that won't be worthwhile training for. Wanted to know if anyone has found that they could beef up their neck this way (I have kind of a skinny neck, at least relative to my shoulders/traps, so this would be money if it worked)
    well, any resistence is resistence all the same, but neck raises using a head harness would be a better choice

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY
    well, any resistence is resistence all the same, but neck raises using a head harness would be a better choice
    omg!!!!!!!! its savvy again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am sickman99 from bodybuildingforyou forums lol this guy is the biggest troll ever lol!!!!!!! he got banned for trolling so watch out

Quote Originally Posted by rugby1001
    omg!!!!!!!! its savvy again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am sickman99 from bodybuildingforyou forums lol this guy is the biggest troll ever lol!!!!!!! he got banned for trolling so watch out
    other than bodybuilding.com when i trolled for good reason, i have never trolled - i have said this before, my trolling career started on a good note, and finished on a good note, it was over a long time ago

i never said anything that was lying or meant to cause offense or anything alike on bodybuildingforyou - what exactly is it that i was meant to be trolling about anyway?

i got no reason for the ban, and have no idea why it happened, but to be honest, i dont really care - i kept getting these private messages from some strange dude who kept saying he was bigger and stronger than me (he wasnt), some of the things he was saying was just plain weird

Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY
    other than bodybuilding.com when i trolled for good reason, i have never trolled - i have said this before, my trolling career started on a good note, and finished on a good note, it was over a long time ago

i never said anything that was lying or meant to cause offense or anything alike on bodybuildingforyou - what exactly is it that i was meant to be trolling about anyway?

i got no reason for the ban, and have no idea why it happened, but to be honest, i dont really care - i kept getting these private messages from some strange dude who kept saying he was bigger and stronger than me (he wasnt), some of the things he was saying was just plain weird
    lol if you're gonna troll anywhere, bodybuilding.com is prolly where you should be doing it

My personal opinion is that neck training is good preventative medicine. Unfortunately, like grip training, it's something that I never, ever make time to do consistently.

I've talked with some people who train for strongman that feel neck training is essential. They probably had thick necks to begin with, but training certainly helped.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I just started training my neck recently. It's too early to see any results though. I put heavy books on the floor, a set under my head and a set under my thighs and I lift my body off the floor. I think it's called a "bridge." I've always had a pencil neck so I'm hoping to beef it up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    My personal opinion is that neck training is good preventative medicine. Unfortunately, like grip training, it's something that I never, ever make time to do consistently.

I've talked with some people who train for strongman that feel neck training is essential. They probably had thick necks to begin with, but training certainly helped.
    I agree, but you have to be so careful in how to you apply it.

I had a neck injury before training the neck, and it was a result of my ignorance and not the movement. Dont try to stress the range of motion to much.

Kc

This article gives an idea of some specific neck exercises. Personally I've found that farmers holds and walk mixed in with shrugs is all I've needed to get a decently big neck, though.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt51.htm
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    This article gives an idea of some specific neck exercises. Personally I've found that farmers holds and walk mixed in with shrugs is all I've needed to get a decently big neck, though.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt51.htm
    from that article
    "SHRUGS

Now this is a CLASSIC. Everybody with an ego bigger than biceps loves this, because they can cheat like crazy with impressive weights. Granted, they don't really move the weights with their traps, but it looks cool."

What the hell is that supposed to mean, what is he implying is doing the work? I'd agree that when you see someone with 500lbs on there they are probably doing a **** rom, but other msucles doing the majority?

Quote Originally Posted by jdeity
    from that article
    "SHRUGS

Now this is a CLASSIC. Everybody with an ego bigger than biceps loves this, because they can cheat like crazy with impressive weights. Granted, they don't really move the weights with their traps, but it looks cool."

What the hell is that supposed to mean, what is he implying is doing the work? I'd agree that when you see someone with 500lbs on there they are probably doing a **** rom, but other msucles doing the majority?
    the pinky

Very informative thread. I'm learning stuff I didn't know.

Neck workouts for me involve watching a tennis game. Or, more enjoyably, sitting on a bench in a shopping mall and watching women go by.

There is one I learned from a wrestler but be careful with it. You kneel down legs tucked under the body, feet facing back, knees forward. Now bend forward and place the forehead on the ground. Slowly and controlled rotate left to right.

You will not get massive head muscles but increase strength and flexibility. More on the flexibility side.

No one has a neck machine at their gym?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard 9
    I had one at my old gym, but not at my new one. It seemed to work pretty well but I never used it consistently.

Nope. Nothing that comes close.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Nope. Nothing that comes close.
    I've been to about five gyms in my life and ive never seen a neck machine lol.

i also have the pencil neck gene but ironically i have pretty big shoulders so it kinda compensates by creating the illusion that i have a bigger neck... unless you concentrate closely heh.

edit: actually, i do remember one of the gyms having a neck machine. it was alright. it was best for side-to-side neck workouts because the pad that you place your head on, is flat. there was a nose hole so people placed towels on it and went at it face first.
    Last edited by chemical Andy; 10-21-2006 at 11:32 AM.

i got a pretty big neck just from wrestling. a good way to get a big neck would be to get some kind of mat or pad, and put yer head on the floor while still standin on yer feet, basically so your standing on yer 2 feet and yer head like a tripod. you bend yer knees for balance too, but dont put yer knees on the ground. then just roll yer head forward so the back of yer head touching th mat, then roll back do yer forehead is touchin the mat. do the same thing only rol yer head stid to side. also just spending alot of time on yer head helps, althogh i dont really do that much since i dont wrestle anymore. its kinda hard to describe, but it works yer nech alot. also if yer fat or have a weak neck be reeeallly careful, dont put all yer bodyweight on yer neck if it cant support it!

also i shrugs are the greatest invention since sliced bread. i like monkey shrugs too, where you take a lighter weight and shrug it almost all the way to yer armpit and curver yer wristss. it looks like a monkey itchin his armpits =)
    Last edited by GEOFF361; 10-21-2006 at 11:49 AM.
    :alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy
    edit: actually, i do remember one of the gyms having a neck machine. it was alright. it was best for side-to-side neck workouts because the pad that you place your head on, is flat. there was a nose hole so people placed towels on it and went at it face first.
    Sounds just like the one at my old gym. Was it a nautilus?
    Last edited by bjohnso; 10-21-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy
    I've been to about five gyms in my life and ive never seen a neck machine lol.

i also have the pencil neck gene but ironically i have pretty big shoulders so it kinda compensates by creating the illusion that i have a bigger neck... unless you concentrate closely heh.

yeah thats what i got...

it kinda looks like this
    http://www.atafa.com/sports/images/i.../PSS-45290.jpg

yeah thats what i got...

it kinda looks like this
    http://www.atafa.com/sports/images/i.../PSS-45290.jpg
    Yeah, that's right. i didnt do anything serious with it because i didnt want to get my face flattened lol.

Banned
    I actually work my jelqing/stretching routine in with my neck workout. I simply tie my penis around my head (at the forhead) while looking down, and do static holds trying to look up for 10 seconds at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Guy
    There is one I learned from a wrestler but be careful with it. You kneel down legs tucked under the body, feet facing back, knees forward. Now bend forward and place the forehead on the ground. Slowly and controlled rotate left to right.

You will not get massive head muscles but increase strength and flexibility. More on the flexibility side.
    lol I'm a wrestler, we did those for stretching, i don't think there's enough resistance for anything more than flexibility. Maybe a little strength, who knows.

no gym period.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFF361

also i shrugs are the greatest invention since sliced bread. i like monkey shrugs too, where you take a lighter weight and shrug it almost all the way to yer armpit and curver yer wristss. it looks like a monkey itchin his armpits =)
    Where in MA did you wrestle? weight, years, etc..

That sounds really cool - I find I use way less weight than people on shrugs because otherwise I don't feel like I get a full contraction. I can see how raising your elbows outwards like that would give an even better contraction, I"m sold.

Get a neck harness. Those help a lot. There are some guys out there who specialized on neck work and have to cut the collar off their shirts. It looks like a stack of hot dogs sitting on the back of their neck. A lot of them claim it was the neck harness. Up and down only though, not side to side.

When I was in high school we had a machine that would go in a semi-circle direction so it was side to side work, or front and back if you positioned yourself correctly. I had lots of neck troubles in my past with spraining it a lot (like more than 10 times) and after consistent training on it I've never had one since. Also my neck was stronger than state-class wrestler...damn I'm glad I looked at this thread because I *really need to get back at training my neck, I guess I'll grab a towel later and start puttin' some resistance on it!
    6'5"
    200lbs
    Bench - 270x5
    Squat - 350x5
    Bulking