Thread: Lifting for power vs strength vs hypertrophy vs endurance

Lifting for power vs strength vs hypertrophy vs endurance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_training
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_hypertrophy

"Two different types of hypertrophy are common; Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, in which sarcoplasmic fluid in the muscle cell increases rather than the contractile protein, and hence no increase in contractile strength. Myofibrillar Hypertrophy, in which there is an increase in myofibrils, and hence increase in muscular contractile strength."

Wtf?

What's the difference between strength training and power training, and why is strength/power training so different than hypertrophy, and wtf is hypertrophy anyway? This description is crap.

If you do compound movements with heavy weights and eat a ton you will get big and strong
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

Me Slag, I eat meat, I lift heavy rock. Slag = big.

I'm gonna make that my sig.

Aha, WBB stickies to the rescue!

"Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy the volume increases of non-contractile proteins and semifulid plasma build up or increase between the muscle fibers. Although the cross-sectional area of the muscle increases greatly, the lack of fiber density decrease causing a loss in force production. This form of hypertrophy is greatly found in bodybuilders.

Myofibrillar hypertrophy the myofibrils increase in density and increase in individual numbers. Unlike that of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy the cross-section increases which allows the ability to generate and exert force. This form of hypertrophy is mostly found in elite Olympic weightlifters and power lifters."

Myofibrillar is sometimes referred to as sarcomere, but is the same thing.