Thread: Trying to get back in shape.

Wannabebig Member

Trying to get back in shape.

I am a 19 year old college student. I played football for 6 years and worked out heavily. At the end of my senior year i was bench pressing 365lbs and weighed about 250. I failed to work out during my first semester of college and now weigh 260 and have lost most of my strength. I want to lose some weight and get my strength back. I dont know if i should concentrate on burning fat or strength gaining first. I would appreciate any advise you can give me.

Wannabebig Member
    Please help me.

Soca King
    The easy answer is to first decide what it is you want to do and than use the search function.Lots of topics on this forum seem to be rehashed versions of similar subjects.So by using the search function you can find your answer alot quicker

Wannabebig Member
    The thing is I really want to do two things. I want to get stronger and I also want to lose weight and get more cut. These are not short term goal. I figured i should bulk up and get stronger and then worry about getting the fat off but i could be wrong. somebody help me.

what's your bodyfat percentage?

are you 260 and fat? or 260 and muscular?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

matt....don't you go putting words in my mouth, mister.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Start slow.

Take your time.

I dont know if i should concentrate on burning fat or strength gaining first
    Sounds like a combo of the two might be a great way to get started, at least until you decide exactly what you want to achieve.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Because he's just starting out again, could he not have the beginners gains of losing fat and gaining muscle.. If he watches what he eats that is (clean, healthy.. not execessive, but at the same time, not bulking)?

Just a thought.. but your short term goal could be doing both gaining strength and losing fat. Then, after you get into the flow, you can decide which to focus on.
    LaLa

Wannabebig Member
    I am not just 260 pounds of fat. I have been working out for a long time and I have a very athletic build. Its just that recently since being at college I havent had much time to wwork out. I think most of the fat I have gained is around my gut and is probably due to my consumption of massive quantities of beer.

well in that case cut out the beer, clean up your diet, and get back into a solid lifting routine....the amount of muscle you put on should help burn the fat you've gained off.

Wannabebig Member
    "I am a 19 year old college student" = I must drink beer to survive

:alcoholic

"I am a 19 year old college student" = I must drink beer to survive
    I am going to have to totally disagree with you on that. I am a 19 year old college student and I do not drink at all! I used to in high school, not to get drunk though. But not in college.

Wannabebig Member
    Im not saying that all college students have to drink beer but i LOVE it and have been doing it for a long time and am not going to quit.

Wannabebig Member
    You don't have to quit, but to lose some fat I would seriously consider cutting back. Maybe just a few on Friday and Saturday nights so you can still have a good time.

Wannabebig Member
    I did cut back my drinking to only friday and saturday nights and I am dieting and taking xenadrine.

Wannabebig Member
    Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wannabebig Member
    Cut carbs back after 8:00pm and when you wake up, drink some water, then go for a run.
    I lift weights

Wannabebig Member
    Ya. I have been trying to cut down my carb intake too. Thanks for the advice.