The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34
  1. #26
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1
    Well, there was that Texas study that linked diet soda with obesity. It is hypothesized that our bodies possibly crave more "real" sweets after drinking the non-calorie super sweetness of diet, but also possibly that the people that gained were gaining anyways and the switch to diet was the only change they made... who knows I guess.

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    ya those kinds of studies usually mean nothign to me (anyone else with me?!). When I read something like that, and it's the kind of thing where it may mean somethign or it may not,i usually disregard it. That study seems like it could mean anything, as you said it oculd be they were fatter to begin with. I mean, in texas they have a higher than average death penalty rate, yet they still have high crime. Does that mean that death penalty doesn't deter crime well there? Or does it mean that the death penalty does and the levels would be higher without it?
    Last edited by jdeity; 10-24-2006 at 07:53 AM.
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

  3. #28
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    I thought diet soda had no calories?
    NO! It def. does. What are you thinking!!

    I was talking about regular soda. If I'm drinking any soda at all its when I'm cutting and its diet soda. I was just pointing out that regular soda is totally worthless. Atleast I can use diet soda on a cut...
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  4. #29
    Oltorf the Destroyer oltorftd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Marcos, TX
    Posts
    0
    I'm new here, but here's my 2 cents:

    i don't think the aspartame is that bad, it's the carbonation that is. That stuff dehydrates you like crazy - ever notice how coke makes you pee a lot? and i've heard that it leeches calcium, which makes bones weaker and it's a ion used to stimulate muscle activity. I heard the dehydration thing from a urologist a few years back, but i do not have a source for the calcium thing. I'll look it up later.
    Last edited by oltorftd; 10-24-2006 at 12:16 PM.
    Oltorf the Destroyer :evillaugh

  5. #30
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity
    The bulk of organic shoppers, in my opinion, are doing it out of elitist and/or fear reasons.
    I do it because it makes me feel amazingly good.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  6. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    Holto, that's very very funny that you say that, because I did search around these boards when I was researching organic food a little while ago, and when I was typing the post you quoted, I was close to citing you specifically as someone who does do it after research, but left it out because people who don't post a lot don't know you. You were actually in a couple of the old organic threads if my memory serves.
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

  7. #32
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity
    Holto, that's very very funny that you say that, because I did search around these boards when I was researching organic food a little while ago, and when I was typing the post you quoted, I was close to citing you specifically as someone who does do it after research, but left it out because people who don't post a lot don't know you. You were actually in a couple of the old organic threads if my memory serves.
    I spend alot of time researching not only agriculture but what processes foods are exposed to.

    Both my parents grew up on farms and over my life I've eaten food that many people don't have access to. If I don't feel really good after eating something I try not to eat it again.

    All in all I don't spend alot on my organics and I find it very much worth it.

    I think the problem is people look at health as something digital. Like if you don't have any actual health problems you are at 100%. In reality health is a continuum. At the upper end of the spectrum you feel fantastic all the time.
    Last edited by Holto; 10-24-2006 at 02:02 PM.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto

    I think the problem is people look at health as something digital. Like if you don't have any actual health problems you are at 100%. In reality health is a continuum. At the upper end of the spectrum you feel fantastic all the time.
    If you feel great on teh upper end, then i must be on my death bed lol, cuz i'm seldom feeling 'fantastic', or even close. i know most of the reasons why i feel like ****, hopefully someday i'll be higher on the spectrum
    Last edited by jdeity; 10-24-2006 at 02:51 PM.
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

  9. #34
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity
    If you feel great on teh upper end, then i must be on my death bed lol, cuz i'm seldom feeling 'fantastic', or even close. i know most of the reasons why i feel like ****, hopefully someday i'll be higher on the spectrum
    Well one of the things that defines a continuum is any attempt to divide it will be totally arbitrary.

    In my philosophy the middle of the spectrum is no health problems with average energy and average moods. As you move up you feel better and better.
    Last edited by Holto; 10-24-2006 at 03:48 PM.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •