The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

critique my westside.

say whatever you want, i need advice on if this will work. Before you say anything I dont have any access to a glute ham raise, hyperextension, bands, or chains, so its pretty much just barbell and dumbell.

Day 1 (max effort squat day)
    Low Box Squat: warm up to sets of 3 reps until cannot do anymore, then work to 1rm
    Romainian Deadlift or SLDL: 3 sets of 8 reps
    leg curls: 3x10
    weighted crunches 5x15

Day 2 (max effort bench day)
    Incline press: warm up to sets of 3 reps until cannot do anymore, then work to 1rm
    Lying Barbell tricep extensions: 4 sets of 8 reps
    Incline DB press: 2x10
    Leg raises:3x15

Day 3 (dynamic effort squat day)
    Box Squats: 10 sets of 2 reps with 50% of 1RM (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)
    SLDL: 3 sets of 8 reps
    leg extensions: 3x10
    Barbell rows: 4 sets of 6 reps
    Pullups: 3xfailure

Day 4 (dynamic effort bench day)
    Bench Press: 10 sets of 3 reps with 60% of 1RM; use three different grips; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)
    Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extensions: 4 sets of 8 reps
    Seated DB press: 3x8
    Bent Over Dumbbell Side Raises: 3 sets of 10 reps

thats it. Im thinking the box squats would be better than front squats for ME excersize, and Incline press because it seems my sticking point is really low on bench. I might not do incline. I dont have any boards or anything and iv been doing close grip but need something different.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    That looks good for a week of Westside. However, the premise of Westside is to change exercises frequently so as to avoid adapting to the routine. Personally, because I'm new at this, I keep my ME exercises to the big 3. I alternate squat and deadlift every week and do ME bench every week. I feel I need more practice with the actual movements. If you are new, you may consider doing this for a little while.
    Second, you should be changing the acessory movements every week, for the same reason. Still focus on your weak points, just change the exercise.
    As for the glute ham raises, you could try doing pullthroughs instead.

yeah I was going to do that do that cycle of the routine for 3 weeks and then switch it again. Westside really seems to be fond of box squats and all i hear about them is that they are great for building your squat, so im going to do them. Deadlifts I think ill get good from the RDL's and SLDL's im hopeing. I thougght incline bench would be a nice change maybe close grip it also.

dont have access to cables for pullthroughs.

Accessory movements, your right on that, maybe replace the skulls with JM press or california press, and maybe try to fit dips in there somewhere.

I know what you mean practice with the movements, I have deadlift down. PL style squat i need to practice and I think i have bench down also.
    Last edited by Natetaco; 10-24-2006 at 05:28 PM.

I'd change gyms/join a gym/buy a cable station. Routine is pretty good for a week, or even as a cycle base.

I just like to have 4-5 movements, Main exercise, Support, Accessory, Accessory, Explosive/Strength Dynamic exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco
    say whatever you want, i need advice on if this will work. Before you say anything I dont have any access to a glute ham raise, hyperextension, bands, or chains, so its pretty much just barbell and dumbell.

Low Box Squat: warm up to sets of 3 reps until cannot do anymore, then work to 1rm If you want to cycle 3 weeks, I would stick with a 3 rep max on the first two weeks, then go for a 1 rep max on week 3 before switching exercises.
    Romainian Deadlift or SLDL: 3 sets of 8 reps I always prefer to go heavier on these and stick with 3-5 sets of 5 reps
    leg curls: 3x10 worthless, lose them. If anything else, do the SLDL heavy and the RDL light but for high reps (2 sets of 20 should be good)
    weighted crunches 5x15 Again, more weight, less reps. 3 sets of 5 should be plenty. Just work up slowly in weight or you'll hurt yourself.

Incline press: warm up to sets of 3 reps until cannot do anymore, then work to 1rm Here I would stay away from going full ROM more than once every 4 weeks. Get some boards, 2, 3, 4 and maybe 5 should be fine and rotate them every 2 weeks.
    Lying Barbell tricep extensions: 4 sets of 8 reps This is fine, I prefer heavy close grips with a high board, less stress on the elbows.
    Incline DB press: 2x10 No probs
    Leg raises:3x15 Why doing these here? You should put in a heavy lat movement and a rear lateral movement here.

Day 3 (dynamic effort squat day) Same as the ME for accessories. You could stay a little lighter though if you want. Why Lat movements on this day???

Day 4 (dynamic effort bench day) You may want to use lower than 60%, just use wht feels fast and make sure the form is right every time.
    Bench Press: 10 sets of 3 reps with 60% of 1RM; use three different grips; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)

thats it. Im thinking the box squats would be better than front squats for ME excersize, and Incline press because it seems my sticking point is really low on bench. I might not do incline. I dont have any boards or anything and iv been doing close grip but need something different.
    My notes are in bold. Get some boards, they're cheap enough to make and will go a long way in making you stronger. For ME squat exercises, I would rotate low box squats, 3-rep GMs, Deadlifts or Pin pulls, Full squats. For BP, just rotate your boards and go to the chest once every 4-6 weeks.

Don't worry about bands or chains yet. You can get plenty out of barbells. You don't really need cables either. The majority of my work is done with BBs and DBs. I hate cables and machines.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    My notes are in bold. Get some boards, they're cheap enough to make and will go a long way in making you stronger. For ME squat exercises, I would rotate low box squats, 3-rep GMs, Deadlifts or Pin pulls, Full squats. For BP, just rotate your boards and go to the chest once every 4-6 weeks.

Don't worry about bands or chains yet. You can get plenty out of barbells. You don't really need cables either. The majority of my work is done with BBs and DBs. I hate cables and machines.

I got the routine i posted from Elitefts, its a basic 9 week program that I modified a little bit. I guess the back/lat work was put on DE squat because there really isnt anywhere else to put it?

Ill take your advice on the SLDL/RDLs.

Ill try to get some hands on boards

I actually like the mini-bands and they aren't that expensive either, I would definitely recommend picking up a couple of those, as well as the boards, as Drew said, they're pretty easy and cheap to make.

so 1 board is just a 2x4 right?

Yep.

IMHO, I really feel the 2 and 4 boards are the way to go first.
    Last edited by LouPac; 10-24-2006 at 07:53 PM.

guess im going ot have to make these bastards

If you don't have a spotter, how do you stabalise the boards on your chest?

I don't have time to give a thoughtful response like Drew did, but I definately didn't see any lat work whatsoever...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I use a belt lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I don't have time to give a thoughtful response like Drew did, but I definately didn't see any lat work whatsoever...

BB rows and pullups on DE squat

When I do boards without a spotter I just wear a tight shirt and tuck them under.

smart idea, do you pause on board presses?, what about incline board presses?

Ah. I would try to do lats 2x/week, drop the leg curls and leg extensions. There are other things I see, but I really need to get offline. Have you already done the basic 9-week program?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Ah. I would try to do lats 2x/week, drop the leg curls and leg extensions. There are other things I see, but I really need to get offline. Have you already done the basic 9-week program?
    :withstupi

Good points.

Actually it's a 2x6. A 2x4 would make the bar teeder to one side if you sink on it.

Low Box Squat: warm up to sets of 3 reps until cannot do anymore, then work to 1rm
    Romainian Deadlift or SLDL: 3 sets of 8 reps
    leg curls: 3x10
    weighted crunches 5x15

Incline press: warm up to sets of 3 reps until cannot do anymore, then work to 1rm
    Lying Barbell tricep extensions: 4 sets of 8 reps
    Incline DB press: 2x10
    Leg raises:3x15

Day 3 (dynamic effort squat day)

Day 4 (dynamic effort bench day)

You've only posted 1 week of the routine. The routine changes for the next 8 weeks. I've just started the same routine as my first venture into powerlifting. I agree with pretty much every stated above, especially don't forget about the lats.

My question to every is that I don't have access to boards either, is rack presses a decent option? I workout in NYC and live in the burbs. I can't carry boards to work and then the gym, and my gym sucks and won't let me leave the boards there.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

this is the 2nd month of it actually, i have modified it where i can do excersizes that i actually can do. Like I said on my first post I dont have access to a bunch of them, cables, extensions, etc. Ill do lats 2xweek, where should I put them? ME bench DE squat?

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner
    You've only posted 1 week of the routine. The routine changes for the next 8 weeks. I've just started the same routine as my first venture into powerlifting. I agree with pretty much every stated above, especially don't forget about the lats.

My question to every is that I don't have access to boards either, is rack presses a decent option? I workout in NYC and live in the burbs. I can't carry boards to work and then the gym, and my gym sucks and won't let me leave the boards there.
    Im going to do the routine I posted for 3 weeks then cycle a new one. Its not just for 1 week. And im going to do the things the other guys stated like drew and sensei.

With board presses, sink the bar into the board just like a full bench press. It's not an exaggerated pause, but you sink it, then press. I still have trouble with it, so I always have somebody give me a "press" command.

Don't bother with boards on incline press.

Connor, you could do rack presses, but they're really not the same. I would get a backpack and make some short boards and carry them in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Connor, you could do rack presses, but they're really not the same. I would get a backpack and make some short boards and carry them in.
    You could always use a few plates. Stack a couple of 25s on your chest and go wild. You might need someone to hold them in place, though.

Dude, that's insane. lol