The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: My journal

Banned

My journal

I'm 29 years old man, 5'7'' 175lbs, I compete in the 181lb category in powerlifting, last year I finished first place in my category, with a 407lb squat, 374lb bench and 475 deadlift. I almost deadlifted 501, but the judge didn't want to accept it because he claims I didn't quite lock out. I have benched a lot more in the past, raw, when I was 185lbs I benched 455lbs, I have benched 405lbs for 5 reps at 180, I have fired my coach because I realized he made my bench weaker, but he did get my legs stronger. I have a six pack, my accumeasure calipers claim I have 6% body fat, I have 17 3/4'' arms, 13.5'' forearms, 7 1/4'' wrists, 24+''legs, 15'' calves, 47.5'' chest, all these measurements are cold measurements. My goals are:
    I want 18'' arms by the end of these years....I'm almost there, I'm actually 17 3/4+'' right now, I'm like 1 line below 18'', I'll get there
    I want to increase 1/2'' on my arms every year
    I want to increase 100lbs + to my total every year
    I want to get more ripped, I want to be as ripped as when I was 19 yrs old

My bench pressed has decreased a bit, but not that much. I don't have a work out partner anymore, that's why.
    I'm doing speed benches with 275lbs for 3 reps, almost as fast as I used to do them
    I have a very unorthodox way of training, which I know goes against pretty much you ever read in any book or magazine, but works for me
    I train pretty much every day
    I got to the gym twice a week, one day I do chest, back and some triceps and abs, and the other day is legs and abs
    the rest of the days I work my arms either at home or at work, for short, but intense work outs
    I've been training on and off since the age of 15, but I became pretty consistant since the age of 23
    I'm all natural, and I have always been. I take supplements like kre-alkylyn creatine, No2, caffeine/ephedrine pills, and 17hd
    I know how to fight and I consider myself a pretty good fighter, I've been in many fights in my life
    I'm starting this journal to track my progress
    Last time I went to the gym, I did legs:
    rack deadlifts, pin at number 2: 135x2,225x1,315x1,405x1,495x1,585x1,675x1...I felt like I could've done more, but I didn't want to hurt myself, it was the very first time I've tried that exercise, I liked it a lot. I used straps on sets 5,6 and 7
    I also used a powerlifting belt on sets 4, 5, 6 and 7
    Then I did leg presses:1 plate on each sidex15 reps, 2 plates on each side x 10 reps, 3 plates on each side x 10 reps, 4 plates on each side x 10 reps, going deep, and slow.
    Then I did leg extensions, 5 sets of 10, working up to 220 or something in the machine
    Then I did lying leg curls, 5 sets of 10, working up to 90 or something on the machine
    then I did 3 sets of 8 on the ab machine, with 90lbs on the machine. That was it
    I'll be going to the gym today after church to do upper body work out (chest,back,triceps)
    I'll tell you later how that work out went....
    Last edited by Bigmonster777; 12-17-2006 at 03:47 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Impressive start of a journal. I hope the journal helps you track your progress.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Banned
    Thank you, I apreciate it

Banned
    I went to the gym yesterday, after church, I did speed benches: 135x15 reps, 5sets of 3 reps with 275lbs, with only 1 minute rest between sets, 3 first sets with no pause, last 2 sets with pause. I had no spotter. Then I did something I've never done before, I don't know what to call it, I guess I could call it ''half bench press'' I set up the pins at level 6 on the rack, and benches 135x10, 225x5, 315x4, then I tried 405, but I failed, I couldn't do it, keep in mind these are not lock outs, the bar was about 2 inches from my chest, it's kinda like a half bench, and there's no momentum, the weight is dead, lying there. I couldn't dead bench press 405... That pissed me off
    (considering I used to rep out 405 on flat bench presses) but I had worked the night before and gone to church. I lowered the weight to 365lbs, and did it, for 1 rep, and it felt difficult, I had to struggle. Then I did 5 sets of 5 reps of skull crushers from the same level, pins at level 6. I used 135lbs for these, I had to struggle on my last set. Then I did one set of wide grip of pull ups of 10 reps, nice and slow, then a set of chin ups for 10 reps, nice and slow, then I was talking to this huge guy about maybe becoming work out partners because I really need a work out partner, we exchanged phone numbers. Then I wanted to do bent over rows, but I looked at the time, and time was running out, so I thought ''screw it, maybe next time'' and instead I did wide grip lat pulldowns with 255lbs, with no straps, for about 8 reps, then close grip, supinated grip pull downs with the same weight 255 for about 6 reps, I could do more reps, but I need to wear the straps to do that, then I did 3 sets of 8 reps on the ab crunch machine with 90lbs, and I was done for the day. I'm already feeling a bit of soreness, I bet tomorrow I'm going to be more sore
    Ps. I want to add, I used my powerlifting belt while doing the heavy sets
    P.s. I forgot to say that I did two sets of dips, of ten reps each, going deep and slow, in between my pulldown sets
    Last edited by Bigmonster777; 12-18-2006 at 03:51 AM.

Banned
    Right now, I'm at work, pumping my biceps with a rubber band...Remember, I want 18'' arms cold by the end of the year....I don't have much time

lmao, im so keeping tabs on this one!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Good stuff, the thing your describing are pin presses. They work well for bench and military press.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)