Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: "Old man learning to stay young with iron, stones and tires."

Great news!! - we knew you could do it.

Bear, that's freaking AWESOME. That's really inspirational - what sorta numbers did your friend end up putting up, too?

Keep makin' us proud, big guy.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Proud of ya man. Fantastic job.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Saweet deal man! I knew you'd blow it away. It definitely gets in your blood after a good first competition. Great job!
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

Nice job bearwolf! You'd be totaling 1400 w. some decent equipment...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Big day, big total. Great work man. WBB was reppin all over VT on Saturday.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Heeeeeeell yah big man 2 PR's at your first meet congradulations. Scott is a monster and thats great you got to see him break his own world record. Props on doing it RAW brother.

Iron4Life
    Thanks Built.. I owe it to you just to help me make weight without losing strength..

I glad you knew it Coke.. I didn't.. but it sure has given me some confidence.. thanks..

McIrish, my buddy came in at 151 lbs - 3 lbs over 148.. so he decided to just stay in the 165s. He is a masters like myself.. and has a messed up elbow - he needs surgery. But he put up some great numbers - his squat was around 340 (I've seen him hit 385 for a double in the gym), BP @ 205 (in pain) and he DL'd 450 - just 3 lbs short of 3 x BW. and he only trained for the last 2 months, b/c he did a bodybuilding show in early Oct.. Thanks for asking..

Thanks Chubs.. I hope I can keep making myself proud.

Big O' - I'll blow it away next time.. lol.. this was to get those white lights under my belt while having all those people watch me in my underwear.. lol. I like it and I know what to do next time.. I'll be ready!

What do ya mean Sensei?? Are you talking about the goofy belt I wore for Squats? Or do you think I need those squat & BP suits. I'm hoping to hit 1400 or 1500 Raw!! Thanks man..

Thanks Drew.. I thought yours was in CT? Yeah, Vermont was nice and chilly.. but I felt real warm!

Kevin I missed ya there man.. I wish you could have came up.. I think you could have gotten one of those World championship belts - for the lightweights. Plus you would have broken all the Junior records. Scott was a beast, but if you can believe it, he didn't win the heavyweight world championship. The 242 Open Monster did - his coefficient was a bit higher. Now Kev, if you just like me borrow a couple of your genes, I can break some World records too. I just need about 40-60 lbs on all my lifts. However I want to do 220 next time, and those records are even higher. lol

Awesome writeup! Thanks for the detail, and CONGRATS on your PRs! That rocks!!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Just read the write up. Awesome work man, sounds like you had a blast and you killed the weights. Congrats!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Yah man I wish I coulda went, came up with some funds right before but there was a set ammount of people that could go so I figured there'd be no way I could enter that late. I'm sure we'll run in to each other at a meet eventually.

Iron4Life
    Thanks Anthony.. I wasn't sure anyone was interested in my detail, but I enjoy reading other folks like you & your details.. so I said what the hey.. just in case there are some other newbie competitors out there.

You bet Sidor.. I did feel like I killed the weights.. at least the weights that I thought were going to be my maxes.. it's funny, but my buddy said that competition weights are easier.. because our gym equipment sucks. That real Ivanko weights are killer.. the bar has a nice bend to it, the collars spin, and the knurl felt awesome. I can wait until I get my hands on some REAL equipment again. Thanks..

Dang Kev!! You should have come.. they would have let you in.. b/c there was a limit of 100 lifters and they had about 65-70.. about the only thing was they probably would not have had a trophy for you if you won your weight class.. that's the reason they need to know up front as much as possible. And yeah.. if you don't get stuck out there in San Fran land, we'll catch ya one of these days..
    Last edited by Bob; 12-11-2006 at 03:51 PM.

I was in Fair Haven VT, about 2 hours away from Burlington. I thought about going to Burlington, but I've been doing a ton of shirt work and wanted to see if it payed off.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Thanks Built.. I owe it to you just to help me make weight without losing strength..
    Trust me, I was DELIGHTED - not only because it worked, but because you trusted me. I made you drink a LOT of water - you must have thought I was NUTS suggesting that!

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    I was in Fair Haven VT, about 2 hours away from Burlington. I thought about going to Burlington, but I've been doing a ton of shirt work and wanted to see if it payed off.
    It did work for you Drew.. you got a new PR. 100% Raw is going to have some more New England meets this yrs.. we'll catch each other at one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Trust me, I was DELIGHTED - not only because it worked, but because you trusted me. I made you drink a LOT of water - you must have thought I was NUTS suggesting that!
    I did trust you Built. I didn't think you were NUTS, b/c I had heard about Water overload before, but I wasn't a believer until you recommended it. >3 Gallons of water in one day is unbearable, I don't know if I could have done that for very long. All those bathroom trips - I'm glad I was working from home that day. Thanks again..

Killed it Bear!

Nice ****ing work!

Thats a huge achievement, keep up the good work bro!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

damn bear i just read the write up, SUPERB job at the meet!!!!!
    2000 or bust

W000000T !!!! Congrats old man !!!! Kick ass lifting !!!!!! DAMN those are some impressive numbers !!! Awesome write up as well, felt like i was there

We need to see a pic of you holding that trophy !!!!!
    37 y/o, 6'1
    Current Weight: 265 Current BF: 21%+

Online Journal

"Its simple; if it jiggles, its fat" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Way to go my friend, nicely done!
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Iron4Life
    Thanks DD.. that's what us bears do.. kill it and eat it!!

Next time I want you there Stump... our size, hairly backs and lifts are all pretty close.. you set the junior records, I'll set the old man records.. lol!! Thanks..

You bet OBU.. us old men rock!! Thanks for comps on the writing too.. never really my speciality.. we'll se about the pic.. not much for doing that either..

Thanks Pup.. a friend indeed..

bear i will try dude! you know what i WILL come! whens the next one, i have to beg my folks to take me.

how would i do in the 17 yr old 220 class? 315 bench, 545? dead, and lets say a 475 squat
    2000 or bust

Iron4Life
    Rob - you would do real well.. probably win whichever state contest you were in.. you would have the New England records in SQ and DL.. and be within about 150 lbs of the national records. RAW is king.. check out : http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/nrecords.htm

As for schedule.. the contests for MA, NH and VT aren't dated yet.. but they should be soon. The next one I'm doing is in Manchester, NH .. it is supposed to be either late Feb or early March.. so that is only a 2.5 hr car from Providence.. going slow.. lol
    Last edited by Bob; 12-12-2006 at 08:31 PM.

awesome, yeah i checked the nationals im behind in bench and wont catch up due to cutting, but after im lean you all know it will be time to bulk up like mad

what city is this held and when is the next one? im excited lol

do i need to wear one of those singlets?
    2000 or bust

Iron4Life
    Yep.. a singlet with no logo..
    Pick up a wrestling one.. I got mine from Inzer online.. about $40.. only b/c my local sports stores didn't have a XXL.. you could probably fit in a XL.

Sorry about the date post.. I added it to my previous reply.. check up above for Manchester..

They will have some in Mass too... mid year or so..
    Last edited by Bob; 12-12-2006 at 08:34 PM.