The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Iron4Life
    Thanks Rob... you wanna loan me some of your youth so I can recover a little quickier? Maybe then I can keep up with your heavy workouts.. that last GM & Box Squat workout of yours was insane..

Sucks about the bicep bear, nice band work!

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    Thanks Rob... you wanna loan me some of your youth so I can recover a little quickier? Maybe then I can keep up with your heavy workouts..
    Let me know if you find a way, I'm in desperate need.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Iron4Life
    Thanks Risk..
    Rookie.. If Stumpp will loan it out.. I'll try to share.. lol..

Deal. btw, if I find a way to add height, want in?

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiebldr
    Deal. btw, if I find a way to add height, want in?
    Maybe an inch or 2.. but, it's kinda late for a football career.. so the only thing height is good for now is so I can eat more.. lol.

Iron4Life
    Friday, Oct. 27th
    3:15 pm Cardio:
    20 minute - 1 mile walk with the dog..

Saturday, Oct. 28th - 4:25 pm
    PreWorkout Nitrean Shake (2 scoops - 48 grams Protein) w/5 grams ALN Creatine plus 2 Thermocins
    5 minute warmup.. jumping jacks, balance ball mobility, a few crunches and a few twists

Good Mornings
    Bar x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 3, 275 x 3, 315 x 3 (20 lb PR)
    335 x 2 (60-70 degree PR)

BB Shrug (w/wraps)
    135 x10, 225 x 8, 275 x 5, 315 x 5, 365 x 4 (50 lb PR)

SLDLs (w/wraps)
    135 x 10,185 x 8, 235 x 5, 285 x 5

10 min rest - bathroom plus Mid-Workout Nitrean Shake (1 scoops - 24 grams Protein)

DLs w/Bands - up to 80 each side (prone grip - staying light while still rehabbing biceps)
    135 x 5, 185 x 3, 135 x 3, 155 x 3

Sumo on Platform -deep DL Cooldown:
    135 x 12 reps

Static Holds - Pullup Bar - just BW - concentrating on the squeeze
    15 secs x 4 sets

Overall Workout Notes:
    >>Overall great workout.. 9 out of 10..
    >>Mainly great b/c of the new PRs - the GMs are getting easier.. I'm trying the Westside/Kevin Starke philo.. just don't be afraid, push the weight agressively..
    >>On the 335 GM.. I don't know if I should count these.. because I didn't go to the standard 80-85 degree
    >>I know I shouldn't use straps.. but with the biceps tear and to really push my limits.. I just gotta get my traps up to speed and low back strength.. I've come to realize I have grip strength, but no grip endurance. It I want to pull >400 at the contest, then I only need to hold it 3 times or so..
    >>25 sets - 121 reps (not including warmup sets)
    >>85 minutes in the gym (includes the 10 min rest)
    Last edited by Bob; 10-28-2006 at 09:44 PM.

nice workout big guy!
    2000 or bust

Iron4Life
    Thanks Stumprrp!!

Sunday, Oct. 29th
    2:15 pm Cardio:
    30 minute - 2 mile walk/run with the dog.. with 8 sprints - small hills, couple of flat 40 yd'ers..

Very solid GMs bear, nice little cardio session too

Killer GM's, good work!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Can't believe I havent been in here yet. Awesome lifts and workouts bro. You are one strong mofo.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Iron4Life
    Thanks Risk, ddegroff and Sidor..
    I appreciate the comments.. I wouldn't say I'm strong yet... but I want to stay on the road to getting there.. I've made some good progress over the last year or so since getting serious.. I just wish I had come back in my 30's instead of my 40's.. but I can't look back.. only forward!!!

Iron4Life
    Monday, Oct. 30th - 4:45 pm

No belts, suits, bands or wraps with this workout..
    5 minute warmup.. jumping jacks, balance ball mobility, a few crunches and a few twists
    Warmup Set of Squats - Bar x5ATF + 5OH Squats

I wasn't feeling totally warmed up.. so I decided to do 2 more mixed sets:
    Overhead Squats + ATF Squats:
    95 x 5OH + 5ATF, 135 x 5OH + 5ATF

Squats (all squats are ATF - each set with a regular stance)
    185 x 2, 225 x 2, 275 x 2, 315 x 2

I tried a New Squat theory tonight - 365x1 rep SuperSetted with 315 x2 rep - the idea being that I push a heavier weight harder like a competition weight and then immediately drop down (10 secs) and push out 2 reps DE of the lighter weight.
    365x1 SS 315 x 2 (DE) x 4 sets

Squat Strip Sets - 10 secs between strips:
    365 x 1, 315 x 2, 225 x 4, 135 x 8 (too easy, next time I will do it with 25s instead of 45s)

Front Squats (I suck at these-but I need to develop my wrist flexibility - instead of crossed arms in front)
    135x3, 185 x 3, 235 x 3

OH Squats:
    135 x 5, 135 x 5 - still working on core/stability/form - but this time after the legs are a little worn out.

Jump Squat Supersets w/light ATF Squats - these are fun
    (5 BW JumpSq + 185 x 2 ATF) x 3 sets

Glute Machine-Thingy (I don't like machines, but I wanted to try this isolation machine - kinda of like a reverse Hack Machine - b/c my butt didn't feel like it got a good workout today or on my DL day)
    6 reps x 4 sets - increasing weight each set.

Overall Workout Notes:
    >>Overall OK workout.. 7.5 out of 10..
    >>I stayed "light" with the heavier weights today, after a couple of leg workouts that were more ME based..
    >>Still staying Light w/ the OH Squats to Test stability of left arm - still not sure what role the bicep plays in holding weight overhead like that - but I did feel a twing on the last couple of sets, b/c the legs were a little more tired then at the beginning - so my arms had to stabilize more..
    >>21 sets - 99 reps (not including warmup sets & I count the SuperSets & StripSets as 1 set each)
    >>55 minutes in the gym - not many long rests today..
    Last edited by Bob; 11-02-2006 at 08:45 AM. Reason: I forgot to put in the Jumping Squat Supersets

I tried a New Squat theory tonight - 365x1 rep SuperSetted with 315 x2 rep - the idea being that I push a heavier weight harder like a competition weight and then immediately drop down (10 secs) and push out 2 reps DE of the lighter weight.
    365x1 SS 315 x 2 (DE) x 4 sets
    Hmmm... interesting.

Your own or did you read this somewhere?
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--

Wannabebig Member

Wow

Your first post was Crazy> What a huge change in Body lbs and life. Good to see you got on the band wagon. Looks like your a lifer. Awsome!!!!

How come the clean grip with the Front sqauts? I've been doing cross grip since I started, something I should be doing?

LOL at the glute machine, I broke one of them once. Very nice session bear, looks stupidly taxing!

Iron4Life
    ddegroff.. I'm not sure if it's mine.. I doubt it.. most everything has been done before.. jsut re-wrapped. At the same time, I can't remember reading it lately.. lol. But it felt good and I like to mix things up.. so what the heck..

Jay.. thanks for popping in.. I think this time I am a lifer!!

Risk.. I was supposed to be taking OL classes this month & Nov.. but with the torn biceps I can't :-( So I thought I would start making some improvements where I can.. the front squats with the clean grip are supposed to be "better", where as the arms crossed don't make you focus on keeping the elbows up.. plus I figure be more flexibility can't be all that bad.. lol

On the Stupidly taxing.. yeah, you will see a lot of my workouts that way.. for some reason, I can not mentally get it thru my head that "less is more".. I've tried a few of those 6-8 sets and done workouts.. and although I bust my arse doing them, I just don't seem to progress with them. Plus, with unpredictable work schedule & biz travel.. I have to get the max when I can. Stick around long enough and you will see where I have to spend a week, sometimes 2 in a hotel room - and workouts are just not the same. And I like to switch it up a lot, so after my 1st PL contest in Dec. and the biceps healing, I'll move to OL and strongman type workouts. And then I want to throw in a few more Crossfits.. ouch.

good to see you start a journal. Strong lifting. Those gms are real strong.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    And I like to switch it up a lot, so after my 1st PL contest in Dec. and the biceps healing, I'll move to OL and strongman type workouts. And then I want to throw in a few more Crossfits.. ouch.
    Crossfi...WHa? Dude! Do you want to be lean and strong like Anthony, or soft and injury-prone like me? MAKE UP YOUR MIND!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Iron4Life
    Thanks CP!! I'm getting there with the GMs.. haven't recovered enough for the heavy DLs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Crossfi...WHa? Dude! Do you want to be lean and strong like Anthony, or soft and injury-prone like me? MAKE UP YOUR MIND!
    hahaha.. that is a good chuckle. Yeah, I need to get a little (lot) more leaner.. but I'm thinking long term and more for the strongman agility. Just trying to wrap it all together.

Plus those last couple of your workouts Sensei... kinda remind me of Crossfit.. your 26sets, 156reps in 15mins.. lol
    Last edited by Bob; 10-31-2006 at 06:27 AM.

bearwolf nice workout, I may need to break things down like that at the end. I can tend throw in too much volume.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Iron4Life
    Thanks bill.. yeah, I seem to be a volume hog..

Tuesday, Oct. 31st - 12:05 pm - Push
    No belts, suits, or wraps with this workout..
    5 minute warmup.. jumping jacks, balance ball crunches, twists and shoulder rotations..

Standing MPs
    Bar x 8, 65 x 8, 95 x 8, 135 x 3, 155 x 2, 185 x 1, 195 x 1

Incline BP
    135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 195x5, 215x5

Flat Close Grip BP
    135x5, 225x5, 245x5,

Flat Close Grip BP w/light 80# bands (DE - fast reps)
    135x 5, 155 x 5 x 3 sets

Flat Super Wide BP w/light 80# bands (DE - fast reps)
    155x 5, 175 x 5 x 2 sets

BW Dips x 8 x 2 sets - concentrating on being upright and slow - to finish the tris - b/c I still can't do pushdowns, skull crushers or DB extensions

Overall Workout Notes:
    >>Overall decent workout.. 8 out of 10..
    >>Left bicep felt good except for the last 2 heavy sets of standing MPs - a little twinge..
    >>24 sets - 117 reps (not including warmup sets)
    >>50 minutes in the gym -

Nice speed session, Dips rule.

b/c I still can't do pushdowns, skull crushers or DB extensions
    Good, keep doin the dips
    Last edited by ddegroff; 10-31-2006 at 04:01 PM.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...