Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455
Results 1,351 to 1,368 of 1368

Thread: "Old man learning to stay young with iron, stones and tires."

Iron4Life
    Haha... I loved being 15 too Fuzzy... almost 3 decades ago...
    Been doing ok.. wish I could be making the same speedy progression you continue to make.. but, for an old man I do OK.. thanks for asking..

Thanks Coke... always appreciate the kind words...

FYI.. for anyone just peeking in.. you may remember my old WBB user BearWolf.. sorry I had to change it.. although I've had that nickname since the early 80s, it wasn't until the rise of the Internet that the term "bear" meant something else... I just couldn't stand old, fat, hairy, gay men contacting me anymore... nothing against them.. since I've got 3/4s of those attributes.. but just b/c I have a certain username/nickname doesn't mean I want to give up my straight lifestyle. lol
    Last edited by Bob; 06-04-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Iron4Life
    Well, it's been just about a year since I put a workout into my journal here on WBB.. so I thought I would outline the last couple of workouts for reference..
    Saturday, June 7th 2008 - Strongman Event Training - 9AM -12noon
    Warmups:not much, but it over 80 degrees, almost 90 by noon... so staying warm was quite easy - but did do some disclocates, arm circles, wrist stretches between events
    >>> Contest is next Sat. - since our group is helping the organizer of the competition, we set these 3 hrs up for anyone to come and test out the equipment - we did the previous Sat. too, but it rained so only a few guys showed up. <<<
    >>> so all the training was hodge-podge >> not done in an organized fashion, just random as the guys wanted to try different events, I would hop in and do some <<<

Strongman Events: (Specific to contest)
    Tire Flips: 400 lber x 15 flips, 650 lber x 5 flips
    Yoke Press: Bare Yoke x 5 x 3 sets, 160 lbs x 3 x 3 sets, 200 x 2 x 5 sets
    Yolk Run: 200 x 40ft x 2 sets (very light, just for mobility)
    Arm-over-Arm Truck Pull: 1 truck x 60 ft., 2 trucks x 40 ft x 2 sets
    Hercules Hold: 30 secs x 2 sets, 20 secs x 1 set
    Atlas Stone: 220 x 2, 260 x 1

Overall Workout Notes: 7.0 out of 10.. mostly b/c it was too hot
    >>a little too unorganized for my liking, but that was the nature of the day... plus, you gotta be prepared to do different events at any time
    >>most everything was light today, except the 2 truck arm pull... those were quite hard and took a lot out of me. I needed the practice on 2 trucks, b/c one truck is too easy and I was using mostly arms. 2 Trucks required more back, leg and arm coordination. Hopefully today's experience will help with next week.
    >>180 minutes outside in the heat

Sunday, June 8th 2008 - Heavy Workload Squats - 1-3 PM
    Warmups:10 JJs, Bar x 5 SQs & 5 GMs, 95 x 5 SQ & 5 GMs, shoulder disclocates, arm circles and wrist stretches
    Regular Squats: raw:135 x 4, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 275 x 2
    Plyo Box Jumps from sitted box: 24 inch Jump from 12 inch seated position x 3 reps x 2 sets

Regular SQs:
    raw: 320 x 2, 370 x 2, 410 x 2
    w/Belt: 440 x 1, 460 x 1, 480 x 1, 490 x 1
    w/Belt & APT Knee Sleeves: 490 x 1 x 2 sets, 440 x 3, 420 x 4, 405 x 5
    Extra-Wide Stance Squats: raw: 315 x 3 x 2 sets, 225 x 6

SLDLs: 135 x 10 x 2 sets, 185 x 6, 205 x 6

Overall Workout Notes: 7.5 out of 10..
    >> started out really slow.. probably b/c of the heat (>90 degrees) and the event training yesterday.. but then things picked as my caffiene hit..
    >> I threw in the Plyos b/c my first few sets of SQs were slow, Plyos help me to be explosive out of the hole... so most of the rest of the sets were good..
    >> 1st time trying the APT Knees Sleeves - somewhere between neoprene and wraps.. felt a twinge in my knee, so I thought I would give them a shot.. felt a little help in the hole, but not quite like wraps do.. still good though..
    >> 110 minutes in the gym
    Last edited by Bob; 06-09-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Iron4Life
    Wow.. it's been a while since I posted in my journal... the last couple of years have been crazy.. lol..
    Actually since last July 08 I've been going though the Big D.. it's been a drain on life... especially hard on my kids... but, the light is starting to seep though the end of the tunnel.

Besides good friends and my kids, training has kept me sane... nothing like relieving stress trying to push heavy weights... or stones... or tires..

Work is crazy too.. especially with the economy...

But I still write down everything in my paper journal

Since my last journal entry I've competed a few times...
    one powerlifting competition, 3 strongman competitions... and the WBB contest
    nothing too impressive in any of them, but I continue to set PRs so that is good...
    Had a couple of injuries - level 2 torn hamstring - that I retorn twice more b/c I didn't rehab slowly enough... and a torn thumb doing a Fingal Fingers...
    Dang old age... lol..

Training is still a combination of PL and Strongman events...
    with some OL stuff for fun...
    a couple of high-rep waves - nothing like 20 rep squats...
    try to use Westside conjungate method as much as possible... even with the strongman stuff...

I'll try to keep the journal more updated..
    For now, I'll just repeat what I did yesterday.. trying Max Squats and DLs for the WBB contest http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130567

Iron4Life
    Saturday, Dec 5th 2009 - Max SQ and DL - 12:30 - 3 PM
    Warmups:not enough - it was about 50 degrees in my buddy's new gym... so by the time you warmed up and waited for any time, you were cold... But, I did the standard Jumping Jacks, dynamic leg swings, shoulder disclocates, arm circles... and then a bunch of BW squats and empty bar movements
    >>> Couldn't decide which I should max out first - Squat or DL - since the rules of the competition did state what order the lifts had to be done <<<
    >>> Or if I should max out both at the same time ... so, that's what I tried <<<

SQ 135 x 5, DL 135 x 3
    SQ 225 x 3, DL 225 x 2
    SQ 315 x 1, DL 315 x 1
    SQ 365 x 1, DL 365 x 1
    SQ 405 x 1, DL 405 x 1 .. it was at this point that I realized that alternating was not really working.. so I went with just the Squats first

Squats: 455 x 1... cr_p, I forgot my belt.. I wanted to start using it at 405 to save my core strength.. dumba_s..
    Added Belt - 505 x 1 (felt light, fast),
    >>>> also added 10 BW squats and 10 KB Swings between sets.. b/c it was so cold...
    525 x 1 - tied PR - 1st time on vid - bar was a bit high, but it felt light - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W61MniRtkk8
    545 x 1 - new 20 lb PR - whoo hoo - felt good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqvNQSnREsQ
    555 x Fail - set up all wrong, didn't mentally go thru my steps...
    555 x Fail - 2nd attempt b/c I knew I had the strength based upon the 545.. but coming out of the hole I just stalled.. too cold.. too weak... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b5ywbRZ8TE

..... and then moved back to DLs... with the BW squats and swings in between sets ...

Deadlifts - no belt - cause I can't figure out how to use it..
    315 x 2, 365 x 2, 405 x 1, 455 x 1, 495 x 1
    525 x 1 - felt good, but slow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ks2C1n7jSk
    555 x 1 - 10 lb chalk PR - still 30 lbs short of my gym DL with straps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYNyqMUtfA
    575 x Fail - too cold, too hungry - by this time it was 3 PM and was about 5 hrs since i last ate solid food..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7tmSw8BhAs

Overall Training Notes: 8.5 out of 10..
    >>overall I was very happy with my PRs.. but I felt like I left a lot on the platform... both the 555 SQ and 575 DL should have been doable... I can give lots of excuses, but I just have to get stronger...
    >>150 minutes in the cold

I'm hearing you, our gym has been real cold lately too...glad to see you back in here, got some great vids.

Bob, you know what's reaaallly weird? A few days ago I was thinking 'what happened to ye old Bearwolf!'

Good to see you posting again.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    I'm hearing you, our gym has been real cold lately too...glad to see you back in here, got some great vids.
    Thanks Coke... glad to see that you are still encouraging everyone.. it helps..

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Bob, you know what's reaaallly weird? A few days ago I was thinking 'what happened to ye old Bearwolf!'

Good to see you posting again.
    Thanks Fuzzy.. I've been around..lurking mostly.. just don't have the time for that much posting any more... but I'm going to try at least with the journal..

You my friend are still doing as amazing as every!! Getting stronger.. and learning a lot... your posts show that you are way beyond your years.

Good to see you back on board Bob, best of luck with your training mate.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Good to see you back on board Bob, best of luck with your training mate.
    Thanks Tom, I appreciate it...

Monday, Dec 7th 2009 - Front SQ and DL - 12:15 - 1:45 PM
    Warmups: standard JJs, dynamic leg swings, shoulder disclocates, arm circles... and then a bunch of BW squats and empty bar movements
    >>> Was only going into gym to support 2 teammates competing this weekend at a strongman event - they wanted to work on trap bar DLs .. but they didn't show so I had a lot of energy and worked with another teammate on Front Squats<<<

Front Squats: 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 225, 245, 265, 275 x 3 reps - 2 reps regular speed, 3rd rep of each set was paused at the bottom for 2 secs.
    Added Belt - 295, 315 x 3 reps - 2 reps regular speed, 3 rep paused at the bottom for 2 secs.
    335 x 2 (no pauses)
    355 x 2 (no pauses)
    135 x 3 - all reps paused..
    >>>> also did hanging knee raises x 3 between every other set.. to stretch out the lower back <<<<

Back Extensions:
    BW x 10, +10 x 15, +25 x 15 reps

Overall Training Notes: 9.25 out of 10..
    >>I was happy with my PRs - pausing both 295 and 315 in the hole.. but I felt great after the lifting on Sat., not sore or tired.. and I think I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with the front squats, I really want to hit that 405 this month, before the end of 2009.
    >>90 minutes - too much time, too much talking

What's this pause business with the fronts!? Sounds painful.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Iron4Life
    What's this pause business with the fronts!? Sounds painful.
    I read it in a MILO article .. I think one of the articles from Bill Starr... he recommeded it for both back squats and front squats... especially for building up the core and controling the weight from falling forward...

My problem with FT Squats has always been the rack (still can't get it right) and falling forward... I've been doing the pauses over the last 3-4 months and my FT SQ has shot up from a 335 max to 385... and 315 x 2 to 345 x 3... so I'm not complaining...

The other great thing it does for me is really stretch the hammies & glutes out... especially when doing it with a back squat... just sitting in the hole for 5-10 secs with 225 and let yourself just sink down... ahhhhhh... feels good...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I read it in a MILO article .. I think one of the articles from Bill Starr... he recommeded it for both back squats and front squats... especially for building up the core and controling the weight from falling forward...

My problem with FT Squats has always been the rack (still can't get it right) and falling forward... I've been doing the pauses over the last 3-4 months and my FT SQ has shot up from a 335 max to 385... and 315 x 2 to 345 x 3... so I'm not complaining...

The other great thing it does for me is really stretch the hammies & glutes out... especially when doing it with a back squat... just sitting in the hole for 5-10 secs with 225 and let yourself just sink down... ahhhhhh... feels good...
    Well... you're weird. I must be getting old, my knees cant take sitting in the bottom, i gotta get the hell out of there, I guess you kids these days can get away with your fancy pause technique.

What's happening with the racking? It takes a while to knock a nice little gap in your collarbone for it to sit comfortably, some heavy walk outs or quarter squats with a big weight might force it to sit a bit better. Though I guess your collarbones are fused now. Other possibilities include not having your head too far back or high as this can put off the little groove.

Iron4Life
    Well... you're weird. I must be getting old, my knees cant take sitting in the bottom, i gotta get the hell out of there, I guess you kids these days can get away with your fancy pause technique.
    Well, I would tell you to give it a try... by starting with something light... I've worked my way up from 135... but, I'm not your OL coach and wouldn't want to contradict him.

But for me.. it's built confidence down in the hole, a lot of core strength and confidence that I can explode a heavy load out of the hole...

What's happening with the racking? It takes a while to knock a nice little gap in your collarbone for it to sit comfortably, some heavy walk outs or quarter squats with a big weight might force it to sit a bit better. Though I guess your collarbones are fused now. Other possibilities include not having your head too far back or high as this can put off the little groove.
    My racking problem is the wrist flexibility.. I'm making progress, but I'm still not there.. before each set I take the bar out of the rack with the OL grip and try to hold for a few seconds... then I re-rack it and use the JV Askem approach.. where I hold my arms straight out and then point the hands up, thumbs towards the face.. so I have no grip on the bar, but the shoulders are elevated like they are with the OL grip...

This way works ok for me.. it fits comfortably... the only problem is if I do fall forward at all, there is nothing to catch the bar... so either I have to fall into the rack or let the bar roll down the biceps...

Ah right, are you trying to choke hole the grip in the palm? You can get away with hooking your index and middle finger under the bar and only making contact by the finger tips. There is no need to choke the bar.

Way to focus on the front squats guy.

Iron4Life
    Ah right, are you trying to choke hole the grip in the palm? You can get away with hooking your index and middle finger under the bar and only making contact by the finger tips. There is no need to choke the bar.
    I try Fuzzy.. I try... but as soon as there is pressure against the finger tips they give out and the bar goes a rolling..
    I'll keep practicing... this old dog can still learn new tricks...

Thanks Coke.. I really want the 405 in the next 2 weeks..

Wed, Dec 9th 2009 - Flat BPs with swinging weights - 12:00 - 1:35 PM
    Warmups: standard JJs, dynamic leg swings, shoulder disclocates, arm circles... and then a bunch of BW squats and empty bar movements
    Reg. Flat BPs: 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 235 x 3
    Added a band to each side to add a swinging weight
    185 + 20 swinging x 3, 155 + 50 x 3, 175 + 50 x 3, 205 + 50 x 3 reps
    Added a 2nd band to each side to have 2 swinging weights per side
    185 + 20 + 50 x 3, 195 + 70 x 3, 195 +100 x 3, 215 + 100 x 3, 235 + 100 swing (4 25lb plates) x 3 reps (PR)

Regular BP - to get proper form back in place: 225 x 3, 275 x 3

DB Rows: 75 x 3, 125 x 7, 100 x 3, 110 x 3, 120 x 3

Rehab: extra wide pushups, hanging knee raises, plate curls, shoulder swings

>>I was happy with my PR - never had a 100 lbs swinging while BP'ing over 315.. the shoulder stabilizers were burning after this workout... the plates bouncing and swinging really make you use everything to stabilize the bar.
    >>85 minutes - rehab took a while...
    Last edited by Bob; 12-15-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Iron4Life
    Fri, Dec 11th 2009 - DL Assessory work - 12:00 - 1:45 PM
    Sumo DL: 125 x 5, 185 x 4
    235, 275, 325, 375, 425 x 3
    475 x 2, 425 x 5

Snatch Grip DL: 135 x 3
    on a 4 inch platform: 135, 185, 235, 285, 335, 385, 235 x 3 reps

Light Rehab: Overhead Presses, Pullups, Tri extensions, hammer curls...

Overall Training Notes: 8.0 out of 10..
    >>haven't trained sumos in a while.. it was nice to able to go this heavy with ease... Was definitely tired during the Snatch Grip DLs.. need to work on some more workload capacity
    >>115 minutes - no need to rush today...

Sunday, Dec 13th 2009 - Strongman GPP - 10:00AM - 2:45 PM
    Warmups: none

Volunteered at a Strongman competition... hrs moving around logs, farmers, trap bars, sandbags and lots of plates... good tiring work... lots of friends and good people..

Very nice sessions right off top with the warmups, followed by solid lifting and rehab work.