Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt

Belt

I was doing my deadlifts (i'm glad to say i added 20 more pounds for 1 full set of 10) Well anyways when i was done a dude in his late 30's who was working on the bench told me i should wear a belt. He asked me how old i was i told him i was 17, dude said i have like 5 - 10 more years of growth and if i wanna continue to grow i should wear a belt. If i should wear a belt for deadlifts should i wear a belt for squats.

I deadlift 140 lbs if that makes a diffrence.

Hmmmm at 140 I don't think you'll need a belt. I don't use a belt when I deadlift, I only use a belt when I go for a max.

Wannabebig New Member
    if you go heavy you should wear a belt but not on warm ups

Depends how strong your midsection is and if you want it to get any stronger...

Belt

You do not need a belt. What you need is two things:

1) Always maintain proper form.

2) Train your core muscles (rectus abdominus, transversus abdominus, internal and external obliques and the muscles of the lower back). If you do this you will not need a belt unless perhaps you are going really heavy (which you aren't yet).

3) You may hold your breath during the rep as this will increase intraabdominal pressure and help stabilize you, but this can be risky if you have a condition such as high blood pressure. (Just for the record, I don't do this).

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    My abs and lower back are the only belt I ever use.

and while were talking about belts, don't you notice that the guys telling you to wear a belt are the same ones that wear a belt when they bench....it's like the fag's using wrist wraps to do curls...

When did weight belts become fashionable???

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 02-07-2002 at 12:32 AM.
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    IMO, I recommend a belt.

After 20 years of weights, I am sure that it has kept me from getting back injuries on more than one occasion.

People here have talked about loss of strength. I have experienced none. In fact, aside from this board, I have never met anyone who experienced any strength loss.

At places where lifting heavy objects is commonplace, ie., Home Depot, WalMart, Target, etc., belts are part of the standard issue to employees for safety risks.

While most people KNOW about correct form, take a look at your local gym and see how few lifters actually employ proper techniques. That's all the more reason to use safeguards and precautions.

You may want to come across as some bad-ass today, but one day you will appreciate the fact that you use a belt. NOT using one is like riding a motorcycle without a helmet. You are just asking for trouble.

Severed Ties -

it's like the fag's using wrist wraps to do curls...
    If it works for someone, who are you to make judgements? When is YOUR next PL or BB competition? You shouldn't make comments like that. It's not very Moderator-like.

I also recommend knee wraps. Knees and back are vital to your day-to-day existence and when you get older, I mean WAY older, you will want both strong and healthy. Racking yourself up by not taking a few simple safety precautions may ruin you much later down the line.
    Last edited by W8_4_Me; 02-07-2002 at 05:42 AM.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

I personally don't use a belt for any lifts anymore. Not sure if it has made me stronger(by not using one), but my lifts have continued to increase without injury.

I think it's more of a personal preference and if you feel more comfortable wearing one, do so.

I used to workout with a guy who wore a belt everyday he worked out. No matter if he was doing shoulder presses or squats or even leg press; he had on a belt.

Belts aren't going to help your form so I don't know how that's a valid argument. If you have a strong trunk and breath properly there is no reason for a belt. If you are concerned and it makes you feel better then I guess go ahead but I don't really see how much of an injury preventer a piece of leather or nylon is gonna make.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I was squatting 350+ lbs for reps without a belt with no problem with trunk stability. Your body has a natural "belt" and by training without one, you'll develop that natural belt. Don't use a belt unless you're powerlifting or going for reps under 3.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Originally posted by W8_4_Me
    If it works for someone, who are you to make judgements?
    If a someone can't curl 25 pound dumbells without their grip giving out, they need grip work, not wraps. Chris, Paul, Maki, Power, Myself, and others could all make this point based on the relationship between forearm size/strength and bicep size/stength. So it's not a judgment, it's a fact.

When is YOUR next PL or BB competition?
    I don't see how my personal life relates to your point, but my BB comp is the second week of June and my deadlift comp is in late August I believe....my partner would know better on the date.

You shouldn't make comments like that. It's not very Moderator-like.
    I'll be the judge of that. If you don't like it, to bad.

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 02-07-2002 at 10:43 AM.
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Severed Ties I have to agree with W8_4_ME on this one. Your comments and subsequent attitude is quite un-moderator like.

FYI- he's not a training mod. And since when does a moderator position castrate somebody? He's not directly attacking anybody, and his comments, while not entirely PC, were nevertheless pretty dead on the money.

I'm sorry, but w8_4_me.... You believe belts and wraps are absolute necessities? I'm sorry, I have to disagree. The typical squatter does NOT need wraps or a belt. He may be able to go heavier WITH such assistance, but I don't think that these extra items will protect the lifter in the long run. You want to have a healthy back till you're old and gray? Train with good form, don't overreach, don't overtrain, and take time off every now and then.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by Belial
    FYI-

I'm sorry, but w8_4_me.... You believe belts and wraps are absolute necessities? I'm sorry, I have to disagree. The typical squatter does NOT need wraps or a belt. He may be able to go heavier WITH such assistance, but I don't think that these extra items will protect the lifter in the long run. You want to have a healthy back till you're old and gray? Train with good form, don't overreach, don't overtrain, and take time off every now and then.
    You are missing w8_4_me point. His point is that chances are you will not lift with proper form, or you may overtrain so as an insurance use belt, straps and wraps.

Originally posted by breeze
    Severed Ties I have to agree with W8_4_ME on this one. Your comments and subsequent attitude is quite un-moderator like.
    You two seem to agree on a lot...No coincidence that you were both offended by the f word for people who use straps hmmmmm

LOL @ you taking a competition shot at ST. He'd shut you out right now at a bb show, and so would I.

Go back to the 70's, Arnold and Lou. tuttut
    Last edited by beercan; 02-07-2002 at 11:12 AM.

Originally posted by breeze

You are missing w8_4_me point. His point is that chances are you will not lift with proper form, or you may overtrain so as an insurance use belt, straps and wraps.
    "chances are"? That's no excuse. I'm assuming that anybody with half a brain will lift with proper form and learn their limitations, so they don't have to rely on "insurance".
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Originally posted by Belial

"chances are"? That's no excuse. I'm assuming that anybody with half a brain will lift with proper form and learn their limitations, so they don't have to rely on "insurance".
    All right. It seems that we are arguing for the sake of arguing. You win.

No. I'm saying that wearing a belt for insurance against bad form is ludicrous. Why not learn proper form? That'll do you more good in the long run, rather than using props to mask your mistakes.

But yes, I'll take that victory.

Bottom line, if you want to wear one; do so. If you don't, than don't. Not that big of a deal.

There is a fellow in my gym that wears a belt for everything...then i saw him driving the other day without a seatbelt....go figure???
    I guess he had on his weightlifting belt and thought that would save him incase something happened.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Since I started to use a belt, I have found it helps me to keep that tightness in my midsection throughout my max sets.

I don't think they will save anyone's back from crappy form.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I only use a belt in competition. Reason being that it might help me lift an extra 5 lbs or so. I max out some kind of deadlift,squat or good morning everyweek and had no problems by not using the belt. Train your abs,obliques and lowerback and you'll be set.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Severed Ties-

I moderate 2 forums myself. You are not behaving like a moderator. You are behaving like a punk.

I don't see how my personal life relates to your point,
    Exactly. Your flip comments about other peoples' personal lives don't apply, either.

but my BB comp is the second week of June and my deadlift comp is in late August I believe....my partner would know better on the date.
    Thanks for the update.

I'll be the judge of that. If you don't like it, to bad.
    Obviously, you are a poor judge and no, I don't like it, but unfortunately for me, I have to live with "people" like you.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

Breeze-

You are right on the money, btw.

As far as belts go, which is what this thread is supposed to be about...

Why risk injury needlessly. In all honesty, I only use a belt for squats. I also wrap my knees for squats. Other than that, I don't use any other support accesories.

The part about form. You and I know that most people have no earthly idea about form. Even BAD form would be a step up for a bunch of folks.

Many people here are good lifters but there are a ton of beginners that have no idea about form. Maybe you seen the countless threads about "How do I do this", or "What is that"...

Over the span of time, I have read posts of people here that suggest that using wraps and belts decreases strength. I say it's a bunch of hooey. I have never been stronger and have always used a belt and knee wraps in some fashion.

Look, main point here: Belts can be a crutch. If a beginner uses poor form, they could get hurt. If they use a belt, it may help them out in the short run, but when they start stacking serious poundages on their back, it could come bite them in the ass. I take issue with the notion that these things (belts, wraps, etc.) should be used to cover up problems, that's just masking the issue.

Not knowing proper form is not an excuse! Learn it! Practice with just the bar! THEN, if you must, grab a belt and start loading up.

And stop the pissing match. Let's not ruin another good thread.