The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Max OT Question

Max OT Question

The basic outline states:

1. Train only 1 or 2 muscle groups per workout/day.
    2. Do 4 to 6 reps per set.
    3. Do 6 to 9 total heavy sets per muscle group.
    4. Rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets. (STR)
    5. Each workout should last approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
    6. Train each muscle group once every 5 to 7 days. (ITR)
    7. Take a 1 week break from training every 8 to 10 weeks.

If Step 3 is one of the key principles, than why do the workouts call for more than 9 heavy sets for a given muscles group?

Day 1, Legs, calls for 11 sets. Day 2, Arms, calls for 13 sets + 5 ab exercises. Day 3, Shoulders/Traps, calls for 11 sets.

I have no issue with doing more sets. I'm just curious if I missed something. Are you're suppose to pick and choose? The programs seems to suggest a certain specificity in the order.

Also, if you follow the five set warm-up program and than do 11 working sets, with two to three minutes in between, how would you stay within the 30 to 40 minute timeframe spoken about in Step 5? How would someone possibly do the 18 working sets and 5 warm-up sets called for on Day 2 (Arms/Abs) in 40 minutes?

Thanks.

Greg
    Last edited by General Zod; 10-22-2006 at 04:49 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

WBB Member
    First of all, how do you get that they are recommending 11 sets for legs? I think they are counting calf exercises separately since they aren't really a big compound like squat or SLDL.

Second, I think their 30-40 minute deadline is pretty unrealistic. Most of mine are between 45 min. - 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    First of all, how do you get that they are recommending 11 sets for legs? I think they are counting calf exercises separately since they aren't really a big compound like squat or SLDL.
    Fair enough. However, it still doesn't seem to follow their recommended pattern. For example:

Days 2 - Arms:

Biceps
    Straight Bar Curls 2 - 4 to 6
    Alternating Dumbbell Curls 2 - 4 to 6
    Cable Curls 1 - 6

Triceps
    Cable Push-downs 2 - 6
    Lying Tricep Extensions 2 - 4 to 6
    Dumbbell Kick-backs 1 - 6

Forearms
    Barbell Wrist Curls 2 - 6 to 8
    Dumbbell Wrist Curls 1 - 6 to 8

Abs
    Leg Raises (with added weight to ankles) 2 - 12 to 15
    Cable Rope Crunches 2 - 8 to 10
    Crunches (weighted) 1 - 8 to 10

Do they consider biceps, triceps and forearms different muscle groups? If so, why don't they call for the recommended 6 to 9 sets? And if they're considering them to be different muscle groups, why do they recommend working 4 muscle groups (biceps, triceps, forearms and abs) on Day 2, when Rule 1 states you should only work 2 muscle groups per day? Conversely, if they're considering biceps, triceps and forearms the same muscle group (arms) why do they recommend 13 sets?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing the program as designed.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    Second, I think their 30-40 minute deadline is pretty unrealistic. Most of mine are between 45 min. - 1 hour.
    Good to know.

Greg
    Last edited by General Zod; 10-22-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Biceps and triceps are two different muscle groups since they are agonists intstead of complentary muscles.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Biceps and triceps are two different muscle groups since they are agonists intstead of complentary muscles.
    Agreed. But wouldn't then forearms be a third and abs be a fourth?

As I said, not trying to be argumentative. I just find it strange that they lay out they're core philosophies and then disregard them.

Thanks,

Greg

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by General Zod
    Agreed. But wouldn't then forearms be a third and abs be a fourth?

As I said, not trying to be argumentative. I just find it strange that they lay out they're core philosophies and then disregard them.

Thanks,

Greg
    Why don't you just submit your questions to Jeff Willet via AST's website? He's usually pretty good about sending personal replies to emails.

Did you search the AST Q&A archives?