View Poll Results: If you had you own gym, at your house. Would you rather train there or at Golds gym.

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golds Gym

23 42.59%
  • Home Gym

31 57.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Gym Or Golds Gym.

Home Gym Or Golds Gym.

If you could have your own gym, would you rather train there. Or would you be more comfortable at a public gym?
    Nothing and I mean nothing, but hardcore.

If I had the space I would rather have a home gym.

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac
    If I had the space I would rather have a home gym.
    yep.I do have space but I gave it up and transformed it into a playroom for my sisters kids.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Yep, Home gym FTW!
    Went to a gym the other day for the first time in ages.. Such an odd vibe in there, too much Testosterone being used on things other than weights, moronic trainers the list goes on.. Although i doubt Golds would have the Trainers problem...

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mmort4l
    Yep, Home gym FTW!
    Went to a gym the other day for the first time in ages.. Such an odd vibe in there, too much Testosterone being used on things other than weights, moronic trainers the list goes on.. Although i doubt Golds would have the Trainers problem...
    I used to work out at Gold's, they're the same as any other gym these days.

I'd guess I'll say home gym, but I don't know if I'd have motivation at home.

It'd be hard for me to get going, kind of like if I worked at home
    5'6", 145 lbs.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leveque
    I'd guess I'll say home gym, but I don't know if I'd have motivation at home.

It'd be hard for me to get going, kind of like if I worked at home
    Likewise.

At the gym I atleast have a chance to become motivated. I'd have to surround the room with pictures of arnold, dorian, ronnie and kevin levrone before I could even think of enough motivation to work out.

I'd be to busy trying to watch TV or something between sets.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I HAD a pretty nifty home gym, but not all of the toys. If I had all of the toys I'd much rather work out at home. Kind of like working out at the gym at about 10am, all the morning goers are gone and the lunch time gym rats are working

I've trained in a home gym exclusively for a little over a year, and would never go back.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I love the Gold's Gym in my hometown, nice people good atmosphere, good weights. Now I'm using rusty dbs from the 80s at the campus gym and watching dumb kids put two 45 lb plates on preacher curl. -_-
    19 years old, 6'0'' 170 lbs 8-10% bf
    Bench:215x4 Deadlift:245x6 Squat:205x6

I bought a squat rack & bench nearly 4 years ago and put it in my garage. I'd rather work out at home regardless, and the thing has paid for itself 4-5 times because I don't pay monthly dues.

Life is short..SO LIVE IT! Validus's Avatar
    I can understand why people like to work out in the gym but I just don't like the atmosphere, or having to commute. I love working out at home, and motivation isn't a problem plus after workouts there's a nice handy fridge full of food upstairs can't beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Validus
    I can understand why people like to work out in the gym but I just don't like the atmosphere, or having to commute. I love working out at home, and motivation isn't a problem plus after workouts there's a nice handy fridge full of food upstairs can't beat that.
    agreed.

i hate driving back and forth to the gym. its a waste of time stuck in traffic. when i was rehabbing my rotator cuffs, i just trained with lightweights at home and in between sets, i just watched tv. time went by fast and everything worked out really well. if anything, i'm less motivated to go to a gym due to the drive and waiting for weights/machines. plus i'd record pro wrestling shows and watch 'em during my workouts. those really pumped me up. i also got a lot of mma dvds and they're excellent for motivation...

i also hate how judgmental some guys in there are. for example, i bench 60lb dumbells per arm but i start off with 8lb dumbells to get my rotator cuff warmed up thoroughly. some guys just stare at me like im fooling around. one guy was waiting for benches and saw me lifting 12lb dumbells during warmup and he just looked disgusted. he told me, "you aint gonna get nowhere doing that." i could've told him i had an injury but he just walked away shaking his head. i didnt even bother. i hate dealing with stuff like that...
    Last edited by chemical Andy; 10-24-2006 at 10:19 AM.

Iron4Life
    Well, if I had the money, then at home..
    But it would have to have everything.. PL'ing equipment, strongman equipment, boxing/mma bags/equipment, couple of rowers, ellipitical and threadmill (just for the dog to follow along while I row, sandbags, kettlebells, DBs up to 200.. all in a Crossfit type environment - lot of pullup bars, rings, etc.. with a combo raquetball/volleyball/bball court built in.. and an olympic pool with a jacuzzi, steambath, sauna and ice tub in the shower room.

But then again, my gym doesn't have that all either... lol.. so I work out in both places...

The big box gyms just aren't designed to accomodate us, so we'd definitely prefer a home gym. Which will have most of what bearwolf mentioned.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Full of himself.
    I work out at a Gold's and while its the next town over (~10mins) I find it awesome for motivation. I mean, come on, dont the quarter squatters make you laugh EVERY time?? There's just something that blissfully ignorant people exude that really gets me going while I'm there.

Pete

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Gold's. There's nothing like grabbing the guy next to you and making him your spotter. The variety of available equipment pwns home gyms.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 10-24-2006 at 10:51 AM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Wannabebig Member
    I would have to say it depends on the gym...

Ive trained in two different gyms and a decently equipped home gym. The good thing about having to go to a public one like some have said before, is that you go there and do what you went there to do. Whereas a home gym you might just slack off and be lazy. Right now i go to a "semi-public" gym i guess... it is available only to students and faculty of my school. I like the atmosphere and its very well equipped. Also it is right across the street which is a big plus.

I have to admit that the first gym i went to though, i felt a little akward... didnt like it that much...
    Last edited by Manowar; 10-24-2006 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    The variety of available equipment pwns home gyms.

I could see this. I guess it depends on what equipment one uses.

But I rarely use anything other than dumbbells, barbells, squat rack, bench, and pullup bar. I think I sunk a total of $600-$700 into it over a 4 year span, which is great financially -------- plus I'm pretty lazy so there are less excuses if the gym is 10 steps away vs. 10 miles.
    Last edited by shootermcgavin7; 10-24-2006 at 11:24 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    The variety of available equipment pwns home gyms.
    I think the question was if you had the money and the space to have your own home gym. Personally, I don't need everything under the sun to workout everything. All you need is a few exercise pieces for each bodypart and alot of the benches and dumbbells can do double or triple duty.

Pluses for a home gym:
    No gym commute (This one is a huge one for me)
    No waiting for kids to get off
    No sharing of other people's germs (I would gladly pay extra for this but sadly, the gyms that do a good job of sanitizing and cleaning, Equinox, have nowhere near the amount of weight that I need to get in a good workout because it's designed around yuppies.)
    No reracking other people's weights
    The equipment isn't used and abused
    The equipment isn't stuff the my parents would have worked out on
    You don't have to schedule your day around when the gym is open on the weekend (I'm a night owl)

Minuses for a home gym:
    You have to invite spotters over in advance rather than having one readily available (hopefully, he isn't a kid who has no idea how to spot).

Yet, I'm still a member of both Gold Gym and 24 Hour Fitness. If I had both the money to purchase gym equipment and the space, I would totally drop one of my memberships.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh, and watching TV between sets wouldn't be a problem for me. Give me my iRiver U3 player and a room full of heavy weights and you've just found my bliss.
    Last edited by trunksy; 10-24-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Life is short..SO LIVE IT! Validus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trunksy
    I think the question was if you had the money and the space to have your own home gym. Personally, I don't need everything under the sun to workout everything. All you need is a few exercise pieces for each bodypart and alot of the benches and dumbbells can do double or triple duty.
    Try quadruple or quintuple duty.....I dont know what comes next. All I use at home is my bench,a olympic bar and a set of dumbells. It's amazing what you can do with just that. Would some of the fancier equipment at a gym help out a little ,yes, but it just isn't justified for me.

bone crusher
    i use a home gym and hopefully will never have to go anywhere else again

not so much home as in my house as thats not possible, but my own gym most definately over golds gym or any other gym - im getting a storage unit to train at in less than a week

i hate training at gyms because the music is always some rediculous dance music that makes me feel like killing myself rather than the weight, an theres always somebody using something i want to use, an people talking to me as if they feel like i want to talk to them

i hate training at a gym / cant wait to get my own

Gamer/Lifter
    I would hate to work out at a home gym. I'll walk in and go ah erm i'm lazy lets do a quick set of squats, I hit the squat do a set watch TV forget I was working out. I can do a essay in school in 20 mins, same essay sitting at my computer would take a hour. Too mean distractions

IN fact i've been planning to read this chapter in my math book for the last hour 1/2 thanks guys.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."