Thread: Why can't I squat without falling over?

Wannabebig Member

Why can't I squat without falling over?

Ok, I feel really dumb saying this but what the hell...

I can't squat. I have never been able to and I have lived without it. Every now and then I try again, fail and give up.

Now I don't want to give up and I need some advice.

My problem is that I fall over backwards as I squat down. I thought that maybe I was using too much weight, so I lowered it. No luck. So I tried just the bar and still fell over. In the end I just tried standing there, squating down on my own without any weight at all, and I still fell over. (I can just stay up if I hold my arms directly out in front of me to move my certre of gravity forward, so with weight on my back, I have no chance.)

My balance seems to be fine. I can stand on one leg with my eyes closed and all that crap.

My heels always come off the ground and it feels like my calf muscles are too short to allow my feet to stay flat as a go down. So I tried to do it with a block of wood under my heels and I can do that without falling over. I guess I could do that for my squats but it doesn't feel very stable, and I heard that it is not safe. Is this true?

And anyway, I want to be able to squat "properly". What can I do?

Help...

i sometimes put two 5 lb plates under the heels

Simplistic
    how tall are you?

Wannabebig Member
    Try doing them sober.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Maybe you need to use a slightly wider stance with your toes pointing outwards to allow your torso to come between your legs a bit without forcing your back to compensate awkwardly.

Also, do you lose your balance on the way down or up?

You may need to work on your calf flexiblilty, do some calf stretches for a while and see if that helps...

Way back when I started training I had the same problem, what I did to solve the problem is to put a piece of plywood under my feet. Till now every gym I trained had it. However by time youll learn to squat without it !

Keep trying ................

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Try a Smith Machine!!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Canadian
    Try what Dachyper said. Work on flexibility, take a wider stance and keep practicing. Do body weight squats until you got it right.
    "Discipline is never an end itself, only a means to an end." - Robert Fripp

Always bad with diet
    I had the exact same problem as you. Exactly. I tried, I practiced, but there was no way I could squat with a full ROM. I would keep falling over myself. I now use the Smith Machine, I believe someone mentioned that. Use it! All you have to worry about is going up and down, no balance problems. Dont let people tell you different, you can still rock your s**t using the Smith Machine. There's been many a workout where I can barely stand afterwards. Good Luck.

Hip Hop Superstar
    this is going to sound a little stupid but....go to a martial arts class. preferably tai chi. there they will teach what straight is. how to align your spine and keep your balance in a natural posture. your problem probably is what your body thinks is proper form is no where near it in reality. in the class i took i learned to train muscles that i never knew i had by standing still.

word.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I take it that you do not ski?

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I used to have problems with it, too. For a while, I squatted with a board under the heels. Then I adapted a wider stance, and just learned. Just keep trying, you'll get it.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Simplistic
    I agree with Gyno, just keep practicing and you'll get it.

this is a strange question but when you go for a s##t do your heels lift and do you fall back? ...serious
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

I would recomend a wide foot placing and just the bar, and try not going down too far.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Neil, I'm around 176 cm tall, which is, I think, about 5 foot 9 inches. Why? Does height make a difference? Seriously...

coolslug, I've always found that lifting slows down my drinking, rather than the other way around. After a decent arms/shoulders day, I can hardly get the glass of beer to my mouth. But I perservere. It's worth it.

DaCypher, I've tried the wide stance. If I do that and put my arms out in front of me, that is the only way I can stay upright. But with weight...no way. And I lose my balace on the way down.

I think that you are right about the calf flexability, it just never seems to imprve though...

W8_4_Me and mr_hand, I don't feel real comfortable using the smith machine. People often say it is no good and can cause injuries. Of course, I don't know if thay are right or not...

SShadow, I have a friend who does tai chi and yoga. I'll ask him a few quetions...

majsi98 and Gyno Rhino, it's good to know that others have overcome the same problem. At least I know it can be done. I'll keep trying.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    True dat.

Originally posted by mesmall
    this is a strange question but when you go for a s##t do your heels lift and do you fall back? ...serious
    Did you read that from one of Dave Tate's aricles? Its a strange but true quote.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Wide Guy-

I don't feel real comfortable using the smith machine. People often say it is no good and can cause injuries. Of course, I don't know if thay are right or not...
    They aren't. I have been using mine for over 2 years now, 3 times a week. No injuries, excellent growth, no issues of balance, ability to workout alone... I have never been more pleased!

If you workout at a gym, what is the harm in trying it? Just about any gym has one. You never know. It may be just the ticket.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Adam, that may have been where I read it, but it is the first thing that i have heard that makes sense...i have not yet met a person that has said to me i can't squat and i fall on to the toilet when i squat.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall