Thread: Bench Press Machine??

Bench Press Machine??

I am not sure if it works the same as an actual bench press. On the one side of the macine there is a seat with a belt and buckle on it. There are two handles that come about chest high that you press down on ( I don't know what exercise this mimics). On the opposite side of the machine is the bench press. There is a flat bench and two handles. The handles aren't connected so it is kind of like a dumbell press. Now, if anyone can understand my half assed explanation of this machine, how close is this to an actual bench press? The only time I have maxed out my bench was about 4 months ago (right before I took a "break" from lifting). The weight on the machine was something like 270-280lbs, the last time I maxed it was only around 200. I got two reps off easy. I am confused :<

I think I know what your talking about, my gym has one, the only thing I use it for is shrugs sometimes though...

Does it sorta look like this?
    http://www.gymratz.co.uk/commercial-.../0isobench.jpg
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

The first machine mimics dips, and it works tricpes/chest. As for your question about is the second machine comparable to free weight bench press, the answer is a definite: No.

Yes, the machine will work your chest. But because the machine controls your form, your stabalizers will not get hit. When you do free weights, your body must use stabalizing muscles to control your form and speed. More muscles hit = better growth.

Do not pay attention to the weights listed on the machine, they have almost no correlation to BB bench press. I recommend you drop the machines and hit the free weights. You can thank me later

Thanks alot Yeah I don't usually do straight bar benching anyways, hurts ny shoulder :/ I do dbell press mostly. How does that compare to bench press?

Banned
    we have one at our gym i do it 3x14 before i do 3x10 donkey pulls on 25kg

Banned
    Avoid machines! Stick to free weights!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanH
    Thanks alot Yeah I don't usually do straight bar benching anyways, hurts ny shoulder :/ I do dbell press mostly. How does that compare to bench press?
    DB press is harder than straight bar press. In theory you should be able to do more with barbells that with dumbbells. Ex: if you could do 75 lb DBs, you might be doing 185-200 barbell.

Does your shoulder hurt while your doing it, or afterwards?