my first post on the forum...
    i am currently doing
    seated rows
    cable rows
    lateral raises
    pulldown behind head
    lunges
    turning squats (w/ plate on chest)
    and a couple that the trainer told me to do but dont have a name just wrestling specific.

anyother wrestling work outs workouts that you can think of that i have not included?
    Last edited by wrestler5544; 10-21-2006 at 08:53 AM.

What are your goals? Gain muscle, get in shape, or just get stronger? Your workout will be vastly different depending on what your goals are. Also I don't see any grip workouts. You might want to look into that.

If you're goal is to get in shape: Look into www.crossfit.com and try some of their circuits. Or just wrestle; the best way to get into wrestling shape is to wrestle. Stay away from long, slow cardio. A match is only 6 minutes, or 8 if you go into overtime. Why would you want to run for 20-30? Do something explosive and intense for under 10 minutes.

If it is to gain muscle: Do heavy, large compound movements. Do nothing that isolates a body part - never in wrestling are you only using one muscle at a time. Do excercises that work as many body parts at one time as possible (squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, barbell rows).

If it is to gain strength: There are two schools of thought on this. The first is to do movements that are similiar (but do not mimic) what you would do in wrestling. Do them heavy, intense, and with low reps. Squats, rows, deadlifts, and pull-ups are a few examples. Also mix in lifting awkward objects, such as sandbags, barrels, heavy beams, etc, and lift them in a manner that it uses your whole body (e.g. powercleans). The other school of thought is olympic weightlifting. Olympic weightlifting trains your body to work explosive and as a unit under extreme stresses, just like wrestling. Notice, however, that in a match you would never do anything resembling a clean & jerk, or a snatch. Thats not the point; the point is that the clean & jerk or the snatch build fast twitch muscle fibers and teach your body to quickly explode and accelerate. Athletes have seen a lot of success in all ranges of sports using olympic lifts even though the movements don't resemble anything you would do in real life.

The kicker is that it takes awhile to learn good form for olympic lifts, and that it might be awhile before you start seeing serious benefits. I believe in the long run olympic weightlifting is better than powerlifting/strongman lifts, especially for wrestling, but I doubt you have enough time to learn the form. Instead, lift heavy and with intensity, and find some sandbags! If you can bring a 170 pound sandbag to your shoulder you won't have much trouble lifting your opponent. Finally, stay away from bodybuilding movements, and find some good grip work.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Wannabebig New Member
    thanks for the response i can see and relate with every thing your talking about and im going to impliment some of the stuff in my next w/o
    thanks

W.I.T
    I wrestled for years (one match away from placing at states in wrestling rich Ohio)

I always found that while strength helps, it dwindles in a match. Do a lot of intense cardio/weight training workouts that incorporate both. I used to get ankle weights, and go on hard two mile runs while making punching motions with arms, while wearing ankle weights on them. I found that even when I busted my ass, I couldnt complete that distance in less than 12 or 13 minutes with the weights on, longer than any match, and its great for muscle endurance in your upper body. You look semi ******ed, but that was my marquee workout. You will notice you don't gas in the third or OT if you do this regularly in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy
    Or just wrestle; the best way to get into wrestling shape is to wrestle.
    :withstupi

You're only going to make any significant gains from Mar-Sept, generally speaking.

W.I.T
    Another thing is that, unless you are bumping up a couple of weight classes , you don't want to put too much bulk on, it's better to develop lean muscle so as not to make your cut harder.